PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Mini-bye Assessment Of Where We Are

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Belichick will ahve his 10 days of roster transactions at the back of the roster. Hopefully Gronk will be ready next game for some reps to prepare for the tougher games. Winning 2 division games is really huge, even given the fact that we were heavily favorites to win the division anyway.
===============

SPECIAL TEAMS
1) Welcome back Ebner.
2) It is good to see the backup defensive backs earning their keep (Cole, Ryan, Wilson, Harmon and Ebner). Only Harmon got regular reps this week.
3) I guess kickoffs aren't really that important (almost all end up at the 20). Still, it is strange to see Blount returning kicks (probably the heaviest player to ever return move than 5 times).
4) Our new punter seems fine.
==========================

DEFENSE - DEFENSIVE LINE
5) These guys look great.
6) The primary backups have been fine. Congrats to Vellano and Buchanan on two fine efforts.
7) We seem fine with additional backup prospects on the DT. We now have Jones, plus PSer's AJ Francis and Forston. That seems adequate and may be quite good.
8) Last year, we had 5 DE's. This year the backup past Buchanan is Bequette and no one else. Maybe Bequette will be as good a backstop as the 3 DT's. Somehow I suspect not.

DEFENSE - LINEBACKERS
9) We are fine with stars Mayo and Hightower. Spikes is a fine run-stopper, when healthy.
10) So far, we have played a lot of nickel, with Spikes out.
11) We seem to have NO backup linebackers. Collins has gotten minimal reps, and Fletcher has gotten none. One wonders if Ninkovich is the backup LB as he was last year.
12) Fletcher, Collins and White have all contributed on special teams. Beauharnais (a PSer in my estimation) has been inactive.

DEFENSE - SECONDARY
13) The starters are playing well, including the much maligned (here) Gregory.
14) Arrington has played well, both as a starter and in the nickel.
15) Harmon has played a few reps. Ryan is ready. In any case, the backups are all contributing on special teams (not like Bequette and Baurharnais)

OFFENSE - RUNNING GAME
16) The running game is in fine shape, but will have poor stats as long as it is our offensive strength.
17) I think that Belichick is satisfied with Ridley and Blount, although Bolden could get reps when he is back.
18) I'm not sure why Washington is even on the team, except as an emergency fill in.
19) Obviously, the running game misses having Gronkowski and a solid blocking TE.
20) Develin has been playing. It is not clear whether he will be kept once Gronk returns.

OFFENSE - PASSING GAME
21) Obviously, we will be much better at TE when Gronkowski is back. Just as obviously, we have no #2 or #3 TE who can block. We have a rookie who may or may not make it as a move TE.
22) Kudos to Edelman. Consider the plan of Danny and the Juniors with Edelman as an afterthought and #4 WR. Thankfully, Edelman (while healthy) is back to being the #2/#3 receiver he was last year. He catches a lot; he does drop a few though.
23) Dobson (wait for it) actually looks like he has a future with us. He got OPEN. We'll see how much training he takes before he is productive.
24) Thompkins was productive in preseason games, and lost in the last two games. He shoed no ability to do much.
25) Boyce is as advertised. He looks to be inactive through much of the year.
26) As Reiss suggests, if we don't see improvement soon, we should pick up one of our JAG's off the speed dial list.
27) Obviously, we will be fine with a healthy Gronkowski, Edelman and Amendola. However, we really do need a 3rd WR. We want to run 3 WR sets, and have a backup.

POSSIBILY ON THE HOTSEAT (All could stay, these players just seem vulnerable)
1) Bequette (why isn't he on the Practice Squad or simply waived?
2) Beauharnais seems to be a fine Practice Squad player.
3) Mulligan should be out when Gronkowski is back.
4) Why is Washington on the squad?
5) Why is Develin on the squad?
6) Barker seem vuknerable to upgrade. He seems safe as long as Svitek is injured.

Belichick will ahve his 10 days of roster transactions at the back of the roster. Hopefully Gronk will be ready next game for some reps to prepare for the tougher games. Winning 2 division games is really huge, even given the fact that we were heavily favorites to win the division anyway.
===============

SPECIAL TEAMS
1) Welcome back Ebner.
2) It is good to see the backup defensive backs earning their keep (Cole, Ryan, Wilson, Harmon and Ebner). Only Harmon got regular reps this week.
3) I guess kickoffs aren't really that important (almost all end up at the 20). Still, it is strange to see Blount returning kicks (probably the heaviest player to ever return move than 5 times).
4) Our new punter seems fine.
==========================

DEFENSE - DEFENSIVE LINE
5) These guys look great.
6) The primary backups have been fine. Congrats to Vellano and Buchanan on two fine efforts.
7) We seem fine with additional backup prospects on the DT. We now have Jones, plus PSer's AJ Francis and Forston. That seems adequate and may be quite good.
8) Last year, we had 5 DE's. This year the backup past Buchanan is Bequette and no one else. Maybe Bequette will be as good a backstop as the 3 DT's. Somehow I suspect not.

DEFENSE - LINEBACKERS
9) We are fine with stars Mayo and Hightower. Spikes is a fine run-stopper, when healthy.
10) So far, we have played a lot of nickel, with Spikes out.
11) We seem to have NO backup linebackers. Collins has gotten minimal reps, and Fletcher has gotten none. One wonders if Ninkovich is the backup LB as he was last year.
12) Fletcher, Collins and White have all contributed on special teams. Beauharnais (a PSer in my estimation) has been inactive.

DEFENSE - SECONDARY
13) The starters are playing well, including the much maligned (here) Gregory.
14) Arrington has played well, both as a starter and in the nickel.
15) Harmon has played a few reps. Ryan is ready. In any case, the backups are all contributing on special teams (not like Bequette and Baurharnais)

OFFENSE - RUNNING GAME
16) The running game is in fine shape, but will have poor stats as long as it is our offensive strength.
17) I think that Belichick is satisfied with Ridley and Blount, although Bolden could get reps when he is back.
18) I'm not sure why Washington is even on the team, except as an emergency fill in.
19) Obviously, the running game misses having Gronkowski and a solid blocking TE.
20) Develin has been playing. It is not clear whether he will be kept once Gronk returns.

OFFENSE - PASSING GAME
21) Obviously, we will be much better at TE when Gronkowski is back. Just as obviously, we have no #2 or #3 TE who can block. We have a rookie who may or may not make it as a move TE.
22) Kudos to Edelman. Consider the plan of Danny and the Juniors with Edelman as an afterthought and #4 WR. Thankfully, Edelman (while healthy) is back to being the #2/#3 receiver he was last year. He catches a lot; he does drop a few though.
23) Dobson (wait for it) actually looks like he has a future with us. He got OPEN. We'll see how much training he takes before he is productive.
24) Thompkins was productive in preseason games, and lost in the last two games. He shoed no ability to do much.
25) Boyce is as advertised. He looks to be inactive through much of the year.
26) As Reiss suggests, if we don't see improvement soon, we should pick up one of our JAG's off the speed dial list.
27) Obviously, we will be fine with a healthy Gronkowski, Edelman and Amendola. However, we really do need a 3rd WR. We want to run 3 WR sets, and have a backup.

POSSIBILY ON THE HOTSEAT (All could stay, these players just seem vulnerable)
1) Bequette (why isn't he on the Practice Squad or simply waived?
2) Beauharnais seems to be a fine Practice Squad player.
3) Mulligan should be out when Gronkowski is back.
4) Why is Washington on the squad?
5) Why is Develin on the squad?
6) Barker seem vuknerable to upgrade. He seems safe as long as Svitek is injured.

My comments:

It is hard to be on the ST when you are inactive for Bequette, Beauharnais, and Ebner. All have played ST when active.

You, not BB, declared Edelman to be a #4-5 WR. BB, (nor I), ever did. Now that he is deemed worth more than that, suddenly it is someone other than your fault for misjudging his worth?

Washington is not yet ready to assume the K.O. role. He was cut visited other teams and resigned. He has had little time for preparation. BB brought him in, to construct the most dangerous ST in the League.

Jjust because no reserve LB has played (?), it does not mean the reserves do not exist. I am sure Collins has had multiple snaps at OLB, so your assumption is in error.

You, not BB, (nor I), have declared Bequette to be scrap. When they need a contain ROLB, he will play.

It is hard to be on the ST when you are inactive for Bequette, Beauharnais, and Ebner. All have played ST when active.
Actually, Bequette and Beauharnais have been lacking on STs. Week 1, Bequette played 1 ST snap and Beauharnais was active but did not play. Week 2, Bequette was active but did not play, and Beauharnais was inactive. So between the two weeks, they have one ST play between them despite being active a combined three times.

Depending on how much you trust Blount's listed weight of 250, Mike Sellers was 260 and returned 34 kicks, while Nick Luchey was 270 and returned 15. Kyle Brady (280) returned 12, and Brandon Manumaleuna (295) returned 12. I think the record goes to Kentwan Balmer, though. In 2008, all 317 pounds of him returned 5 kicks. Yes, all of those facts are random and taught nobody anything at all :lol2:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back