PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

98.5 The Sports Hub: Welker has torn ACL [Schefter: and MCL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's Reche Caldwell up to these days?

I bet he's keeping his eyes wide for a chance to get back on a team's 53...

Screw that, bring back Troy Brown!

Sad news for Wes. Hopefully he has a good recovery and doesn't come back before he's ready to next season.

This isn't baseball. The Pats are allowed to add a player off the street if they want.

The question is whether or not that person would be able to do anything for the team. Unless its Deion Branch (still with Seattle) , Troy Brown (maybe a couple years off did him good), Reche Caldwell (Is he out of BB's dog house?), David Patten (not sure if he's in the BB doghouse still or not) , or David Givens (still trying to get healthy) , my guess is no.

The one option on the team is Darnell Jenkinis. Who is a small, physical type receiver who is 5'9" and supposedly relies on his quickess and toughness to make plays.. The issue with Jenkins coming out was that he tended to let too many balls get into his body, so he had the dropsies. Another option could be H-Back/TE Rob Myers..

My guess is that Stanback and Edelman get used more at WR during practices and that Watson also gets flanked out more..

NFL Players

Having reviewed that, there are some very interesting names out there. Drew Bennett, Bobby Engram, Robert Ferguson, DJ Hackett, just to name a few. Its a matter of whether they have anything left..

I'd like to see Matt Jones myself. He's still on the street, isn't he? Cokehead or not, he has raw athletic ability and we can simlify the offense for him to allow the guy to run routes that he feels comfortable with (unlike with Galloway). It wouldn't hurt to give him a look. $10 and an 8-Ball should do it for a contract.

Re: 98.5 The Sports Hub: Welker has torn ACL

So he will be on ir next year?

The ACL is the worst injury and if the cartilage is torn as well, it's worse still. Nevertheless, players come back fully from ACL tears consistently these days.
The MCL is easier to repair and to rehab. Normally the MCL is allowed to heal prior to ACL repair. If it all goes well, I would expect Mr. Welker to miss the first half of next season at least, but I would also expect a return to full function.

This thread is pointless until tomorrow. All the pre-MRI diagnosis shows is that we're within the range of possibilities being cited in this thread.

Re: 98.5 The Sports Hub: Welker has torn ACL

....most likely, but it will depend on how he recovers, and if they have any hope of having him for the playoffs next season. ACL and MCL for a receiver will be tough to see the guy next year.

Devastating!
The MCL is irrelevant other than delaying the ACL surgery by a little. Barring a setback, he will be back next year maybe after being PUPed. To say he's most likely to be IRed just isn't true - although setbacks can happen.

There's an NFL Films piece where Welker is wired and a ref says to him something to the effect of, "it's a pleasure watching you play." I think that sums it up pretty well, and I fear that we've seen the last of him as an elite WR. If he EVER gets his cutting ability back (which I don't think he will), it will be in the 2011 season, when he'll be 31. Just sad. That being said, I think Edelman has shown potential to be an excellent slot receiver in the years ahead. If we add a solid vet as the No. 2 next year I'll be feeling pretty good about the WRs.

Tony Allen of the Celtics tore his ACL and MCL in February of 07 and was ready for the start of the season the following October. Hopefully that is the case for Welker as well.

Sounds pessimistic but what you say is indeed possible. I always felt that the team was using up little Wes Welker over the past few years. A guy of his size offers a "sweet spot" of perhaps 3-5 years of top notch play before getting too beat up. Hopefully, he's got a couple more years left with a good recovery, but we have to recognize that we may have already seen his best football.

This blows! While we all hope he can contribute next season, I wonder if the situation with Tate this year will scare the organization about bringing him back for what would hopefully be a playoff run next year. If there's some silver lining, I think Edelman has a solid chance to pull a "Cassel" and really become a significant player for the Pats. At least that's what I keep telling myself to avoid becoming stick to stomach. Good luck Wes!

He could be back by beginning of season....

for what its worth I tore my acl/pcl/mcl playing soccer. Doctors told me I would have to wait 9-12 months before i could play again. I was out playing 3 months after my surgery, by no means was I 100% but by 9 months I felt about 80-90%. I'd take Welker at 80% over most Wr's at 110%.

Tiger Woods tore his ACL and came back, I believe 8months later.

If Welker can get the correct surgery, soon, he can start healing for Sep/Oct timeframe...

As long as there's hope, I believe Welker has the heart to get back to where he needs to be. The dude is SO tough.

Tiger Woods tore his ACL and came back, I believe 8months later.

If Welker can get the correct surgery, soon, he can start healing for Sep/Oct timeframe...

Huge difference between swinging a golf club and cutting laterally on a dime while running full speed..

The Woods ACL injury has no bearing on Welker's injury.. Just like Carson Palmer's injury has no bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News