PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

98.5 The Sports Hub: Welker has torn ACL [Schefter: and MCL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tanguay: "According to sources, it's a torn ACL for Welker."

Haven't heard them directly state that though, in a news flash or something, but Tanguay just mentioned that while talking to a caller.

Re: 98.5 The Sports Hub: Welker has torn ACL

So he will be on ir next year?

Tanguay: "According to sources, it's a torn ACL for Welker."

Haven't heard them directly state that though, in a news flash or something, but Tanguay just mentioned that while talking to a caller.

They won't know the exact extent of the injury until Welker has an MRI. Until then anything up to that point is conjecture.

depends on what the MRI says. at least it's not a full reconstruction. Welker is young at 29 in May. He will bounce back. It stinks that we don't have him for the playoffs but we won the super bowl with Patten, Brown and such.

I'm no doctor, but isn't an ACL injury generally from the knee joint hyper-extending? That's not what happened to Welker. If anything it is either a PCL or an MCL injury. Again, I am not a doctor but that is my professional opinion. And, I'll probably be proved wrong tomorrow after the MRI.

I'm no doctor, but isn't an ACL injury generally from the knee joint hyper-extending? That's not what happened to Welker. If anything it is either a PCL or an MCL injury. Again, I am not a doctor but that is my professional opinion. And, I'll probably be proved wrong tomorrow after the MRI.

After watching the play, looks like a classic acl injury.

They won't know the exact extent of the injury until Welker has an MRI. Until then anything up to that point is conjecture.

If you noticed when Welker was walking off the field...the first time he put pressure on the knee....it wobbled...having had 2 ACL's torn, I can tell you that your knee has no stability...I said to myself when I saw the leg buckle, he tore his ACL....I'm betting the report is probably true.

We'll see next year. The PUP list, and missing half a season, seems more likely.

I wouldn't be surprised to see BB have the nerve to put Welker as questionable next week.

No, you are in all probability, right. The knee gave out on a lateral cut which means the MCL was involved, but depending on the grade of the MCL, some portion of the ACL may have been impacted. I am hoping the ACL just has a minor sprain.

No source mentioned by Taguay - this would be a big scoop and I doubt he would just be casually mentioning it while talking to a caller??

I would think, without a source or anything tangible, Tanguay is just guessing and speculating -- as we all are.

No, you are in all probability, right. The knee gave out on a lateral cut which means the MCL was involved, but depending on the grade of the MCL, some portion of the ACL may have been impacted. I am hoping the ACL just has a minor sprain.

They can diagnose it on the field. The trainers and Welker knew, thus the emotional reaction.

From eHealth MD..

The physician can determine the integrity of the ACL by conducting special ligament stability tests. One simple but important test is called the Lachmans test. With the knee bent to 30 degrees, the physician gently pulls on the tibia The larger of the two bones of the lower (between the knee and ankle). Also referred to as the shin bone. to check the forward motion of the lower leg in relation to the upper leg. A normal knee will have less than two to four mm of forward movement, with a firm stopping felt when no further movement is observed. In contrast, a knee with an ACL tear will have increased forward motion and a soft end feel at the end of the movement. This is because of the loss of restraint of the forward movement of the tibia due to the torn ACL.

Last edited:

I think we knew the awnser to that with the reaction to welker, we did not need Gary Tangway tell us we had a feeling we already knew..

They can diagnose it on the field. The trainers and Welker knew, thus the emotional reaction.

From eHealth MD..

That is the preliminary diagnosis that will be fully confirmed by the MRI when Welker is flown in, tonight. Who knows, the MCL tear may have been so throughout as to have involved the ACL as well?

I think we knew the awnser to that with the reaction to welker, we did not need Gary Tangway tell us we had a feeling we already knew..

True, but I was holding out some tiny little hope that we were all wrong.

That is the preliminary diagnosis that will be fully confirmed by the MRI when Welker is flown in, tonight. Who knows, the MCL tear may have been so throughout as to have involved the ACL as well?

Don't know. Totally sucks for Wes, his family and the team. Us fans too but we're ancillary.

We'll see next year. The PUP list, and missing half a season, seems more likely.

Does anyone know if this left knee injury is this the same leg that bothered him to start the year??

Worst case, PUP, unless there's setbacks in rehab. Braylon Edwards tore his a few years ago the last week of the season and played in the following preseason.

I wouldn't be surprised to see BB have the nerve to put Welker as questionable next week.

LOL! That is the first time I have laughed all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back