PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

9/23/2001 - When it all began: Happy Brady Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of MLR, he hasn't been around for a long time. He used to be a regular poster. Anybody know what happened to him?

This was discussed I think last year or early this year and I believe that MLR may have passed on. I believe Ian tried to contact him for a long time and ended up drawing this conclusion. I really miss MLR.

JM, you got me thinking about those early days. IIRC, Terry didn't go quietly into the night that season. I think that Glenn was hurt the week Bledsoe got hurt, and came back and played a few games with Tom before he went completely off the rails and was suspended. I have this memory of Glenn catching at least one TD pass from Tom. Maybe it was the Colt game.

Edit: I just checked and it was the SD game that year where Glenn had a TD and 110yd, 7 catch game. Further investigation finds that Glenn was on the team 4 games that season with one start, evidently that was the SD game.

Glenn never stopped being a great WR talent. Most people probably forget that in his last 2 full years in the league (2005 & 2006) Glenn had 1100yd seasons with Dallas. He almost 9,000 yds of receiving in his career, who knows what he might have accomplished if he had his head on straight. I hope he is well now and content He had a very tough upbringing .....and I'm REAL glad he never got a ring that year.

BTW- Not too many coaches would have done what BB did in suspending his best receiver while trying to help a very young QB with his weapons. But it DID sent a powerful message that no one is bigger than the program. And it's one that lasted to this date. At what point did they finally cut the cord on him that year. Anyone remember?

I was thinking that Belichick suspended him for faking an injury or something like that, and then the suspension was overturned by the league. I couldn't recall exactly and as it turns out that was close, but not exactly it.

In May of 2001 Glenn was arrested for domestic abuse after an incident involving the mother of his five-year old son. Back then something like that was not dealt with at all by the league; it was left completely up to the individual teams to handle as they saw fit. In addition there was also a felony charge of intimidating a witness. Then in the beginning of August the NFL suspended Gleen for the first four games of the regular season for violating terms of the substance-abuse program; Glenn stated that it was for weed.

After that Glenn left training camp. This was August 3; keep in mind his suspension would not begin until nearly a month later for week one, on September 9. Glenn had still not returned to training camp nearly two weeks later when Belichick finally suspended him on August 15 after failed attempts to trade him. BB placed him on the reserve/left camp list which meant he would be ineligible to play for the entire
season - plus he would still have to serve his four-game NFL suspension the following year. Prior to that Glenn had implied in an interview that he was faking injuries because he was not getting paid.

On September 13 an arbitrator overturned the suspension imposed by Belichick, but Glenn still had to serve the four game NFL suspension. He played in that week five game against the Chargers and caught seven passes for 110 yards and a touchdown, but injured his hamstring.

After that Belichick allegedly fined Glenn three times for missing treatment, missing a meeting, and refusing to get on a Stairmaster to test the hamstring. Glenn was inactive in every game until December 9; he played in three more games but had only seven more catches for 94 yards in those contests. Late in the season he was suspended by Belichick again for missing a practice; Glenn said it was injury-related but BB said it was disciplinary.

Glenn's agent claimed that the Patriots had withheld a payment that was part of his bonus in June, which set things off. Not sure if that was true, or if it was and had something to do with the arrest, or if they knew about the failed drug test.

The Pats traded him to Green Bay in the off-season for a pair of draft picks, one of which was DL Jarvis Green.

Glenn has had multiple run-ins with the law since leaving the Pats.
- In 2005 while with the Cowboys he was handcuffed but not arrested for public intoxication after urinating outside a restaurant.
- In 2009 Glenn was arrested for public intoxication and possession of marijuana.
- In 2010 he was arrested for grand theft auto after not returning a rental car.
- In 2010 he was arrested for possession of marijuana.
- In 2011 he was arrested for driving while intoxicated and possession of marijuana.

Currently Glenn is the offensive coordinator of the Texas Revolution of the Champions Indoor Football League.

Some links:
Glenn suspended four games for drug use | Aug 3, 2001
Glenn suspended by Patriots | Aug 16, 2001
Glenn reinstated, will return Week 5 | Sept 13, 2001
Belichick hits Glenn with another fine | Oct 31, 2001
Mort (incorrectly) reports (!!!) Glenn could be done for season | Nov 1, 2001
Glenn to appeal New England's suspension | Dec 1, 2001
Terry Glenn 2001 Game Log | Pro Football Reference

2002 NFL draft with transactions | ProSportTransactions.com
Ex-Patriots receiver Terry Glenn arrested again | Jan 22, 2011

Some of that Dr Z stuff should be mandatory reading for all Pats fans under the age of 25, and set up as a refresher course for the rest of us. We need to remember a lot of those guys from that team, guys like Otis Smith, who we don't see enough of in retirement. He was one of BB's 3 big vet guys, like Pleasant, and the LB and Smith. (SEE I need a refresher) And all of them were critically important to help create the atmosphere and attitude that keeps the Patriot Way thriving.

Next year will be the 15th anniversary of the 2001 Superbowl team. More than Willie, Milloy, and Troy, I want to see guys like Smith, Pleasant , Andruzzi and others like him get their moment in the sun and a chance for the fans to thank them for their efforts and building a foundation that has only gotten stronger from their efforts.

What if during every preparation week next season, Bill invites 2 or 3 of those guys each week to participate with the staff in the preparation and meetings. Imagine some of the stories about Bryant and the facilities at Sullivan they could tell. Think of the prospective it would give to these kids who have money and every imaginable training aid and facility, That alone would make it worth it. If they are going to start their own legacy, the need to understand how hard it was to create it.

11 win seasons don't just happen because you play for NE, but I bet it must seem like that for some of them.

This was discussed I think last year or early this year and I believe that MLR may have passed on. I believe Ian tried to contact him for a long time and ended up drawing this conclusion. I really miss MLR.
I'm very sorry to hear that.
If that is the case, may he Rest in Peace.

Some of that Dr Z stuff should be mandatory reading for all Pats fans under the age of 25, and set up as a refresher course for the rest of us. We need to remember a lot of those guys from that team, guys like Otis Smith, who we don't see enough of in retirement. He was one of BB's 3 big vet guys, like Pleasant, and the LB and Smith. (SEE I need a refresher) And all of them were critically important to help create the atmosphere and attitude that keeps the Patriot Way thriving.

Next year will be the 15th anniversary of the 2001 Superbowl team. More than Willie, Milloy, and Troy, I want to see guys like Smith, Pleasant , Andruzzi and others like him get their moment in the sun and a chance for the fans to thank them for their efforts and building a foundation that has only gotten stronger from their efforts.

What if during every preparation week next season, Bill invites 2 or 3 of those guys each week to participate with the staff in the preparation and meetings. Imagine some of the stories about Bryant and the facilities at Sullivan they could tell. Think of the prospective it would give to these kids who have money and every imaginable training aid and facility, That alone would make it worth it. If they are going to start their own legacy, the need to understand how hard it was to create it.

11 win seasons don't just happen because you play for NE, but I bet it must seem like that for some of them.

I demand that Fred Coleman be there. Pats were down big vs the Jets in NY and his 46 yd catch and run started their comeback and an eventual 17-16 win.

There were so many unsung heroes on that team. Bryan Cox with the 3rd down stop and the tone-setting hit for the season on Pathon. JR Redmond with two huge catches on the last series in 36. Wiggie, Compton, Marc Edwards, Bobby Hamilton, Izzo, Cherry, Antwan Harris....lunchpail guys that made huge contributions...

For me its them and the 04 Red Sox but the 01 team didn't have any superstars which makes them even more special.

Just renewed my patsfans membership- think my last post was around 2005- year my twins were born. Life just got too busy. But I have been reading the site nonstop since 2001. The #1 source for pats fans. Anyway just chipping my 2cents on that 2001 season. My favorite regular season game was the 2nd Miami game. Pats played smashmouth, ran a.smith over and ovet. Fins knew pats were gonna run but they couldn't stop it. That was the game that convinced me they could win the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe