Welcome to PatsFans.com

6 receiver sets.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by RayClay, Mar 12, 2007.

1. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +394 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

One of the posters has mentioned the possibility of 6 receiver sets, (maybe in jest).

Math was never my best subject , but i think that means one of the receivers would have to play QB, possibly throwing the ball to himself, (otherwise he wouldn't be a receiver).

Thoughts?
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  2. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Sssshhhhh... we're only one FA signing away from talking about 7 reciever sets.

:D
  3. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -1

Troy Brown.
  4. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

Yeah, we'll do 6 wideout sets. Well, as soon as the NFL changes its rules and pass rushers can only start to rush on "3 mississippi".

In all seriousness though, I am interested to see how this plethora of talent at wideout changes our offense at all. Brady loves to spread em out.
  5. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +394 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

Tackle eligible? How would that work?

Washington's 6'3", but only 218. I'm thinking stuff his uniform full of stuff like Santa Claus. By the time the D senses something wrong, he's gone!
  6. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Correct, since a legal formation has to have 7 guys on the line, and only the outside 2 are eligible receivers, there's no way to have 6 guys eligible (and still have a QB).
  7. PatrioticDynasty

PatrioticDynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

sure tell Matt light to play both LG and LT, that should free up a spot on the line, maybe kyle brady can line up next to light and we can run 7 then...

boomer will then say "Jim, Jim look, only the center and matt light are the only lineman on the line of scrimage, do you think they are going to pass here?"

PD.
  8. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Let's see, you have to have seven on the LOS, right? And a covered end cannot be an eligible receiver? So that means that 5 guys on the LOS cannot be eligible - we usually call this the offensive line ...

11 - 5 = 6 so their can only ever be six skill players on the field at one time so yes you are correct - unless one of the receivers took the snap and handed off to an o-lineman (e.g. one of the 5 guys on the LOS and not an end) who passed the ball.
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I love the idea of a 5 OL, 1 QB, 6 WR set - if we can just get away without the 12 men on the field penalty this will kick ass.
  10. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

That was me, and I was kidding, but I also know that it would be pretty flippin' sweet. :D
  11. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I guess you could do it with a TE/WR playing "tackle". You could change who is eligible by motioning guys on/off the line of scrimmage (to keep 7 on the LOS at all times). You still wouldn't ever have more than 5 eligible receivers, but techincally you would have 6 guys split out wide. Why you'd want to do that I have no idea, other than that it would be pretty funny.
  12. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +394 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

That's the spirit! Let's think outside the box. I'm looking for some right brain thinking here, or left brain......whatever side that Clive Rush used to use.

I figure we start with 11 men on the line. Then some receivers go in motion. one of them just happens to go behind the center and take the snap.

Cover that!:confused: :bricks: