PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

506 Sports This Weekend's Jan 1st Televised Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I can say is that I'm satisfied we've had less Nantz and Simms, even if Dan Fouts seems to forget where he is sometimes.

Great. Game is on here in Denvah. No need to waste cash at the bar.

I have the Fire Stick with Kodi so every game is televised for me. Best $70 I've ever spent.

I have the Fire Stick with Kodi so every game is televised for me. Best $70 I've ever spent.

Slingbox for me, but the same result. Couldn't be happier.

Yay! In LA for Rose Bowl and now I don't have to listen on Sirius with 30+ second delay.

I'm in Tampa too. This is one of the two times a year I'm happy the Phins are regularly on TV around here...

Yah, but as jmt57 pointed out, were it not the end of the season the Bucs game at 1PM would have snuffed the Phins on CBS

images

Wow panthers on at same time and no blackout here.

Bleh... I lose the coverage lottery as expected. But my silver lining, bless BB TB & Co., is that for a decade and a half, with little interruption, Januaries are Patriots TV time as far as the win-and-you're-in eye can see :cool:

where do you normally go in Tampa?

Nowhere.
I'm south of Tampa near Anna Maria Island.
I go to Bradenton Beach on AMI to the Sports Lounge on Bridge Street.
Gorgeous area.
Lounge is full of geezers, chain smokers and alkies, but they have all the games.

I thought all NFL blackouts were suspended?

NFL continues suspension of TV blackout rule
There are two types of television blackouts: one for when a game does not sell out, and another for when the game does sell out. I believe PtPF was referring to the latter.

The more well known one is the type referred to in the link, when a game does not sell out. That one, as noted, was suspended in 2015 by league owners.

The second type of blackout is not as well known but is still utilized by the NFL: for when a game does sell out. When that happens the game is available on local TV, since all tickets have been sold. In that scenario no other game can be televised at the same time.

The idea was that the NFL owners wanted to limit the number of no-shows. If a team had a precipitous drop in performance some fans would rather eat the price of a ticket and watch a better game on tv, especially later in the season. Getting you to pay for a ticket wasn't enough after all. The owners were still counting on you to come in and pay for parking, beer, soda, water, food, a yearbook, hat, t-shirt, etc.

Normally Philadelphia, Tampa and Minneapolis would receive no early AFC game (blacked out) because those teams are playing at home at the same time as the Pats-Miami game. Not the case for week 17 (and if there is ever a similar situation in the playoffs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST