PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers may trade Garoppolo to highest bidder in the offseason

SF will get a better draft return by trading a little down in the draft and picking up another 1 2 3 or more just by dropping back a few spots that are going to be for QB's they are not looking for anyway.

I must be missing something here - won't SF be in exactly the same bind NE was if they decide to trade JG rather than sign him long term?

No, their relative cap situation gives SF significantly more flexibility.

Wasn't one of the biggest knocks on JG his poor practice performance, especially when compared to his in-game abilities?

It would help to explain this very quick leak of a "re-trade" rumor.

Perhaps Shefter, as has been the case for local media hosts, is overestimating the value for JG without really knowing the landscape, not sure how much his value could increase without showing is QB aptitude and ability. Expecting a team to mortgage the farm for a QB who has only thrown 94 passes??...

If the 49'ers do not start JG soon their idiocy will continue..

Well I'll give them a pass for yesterday since JG arrived in SF Wednesday I think, but they have an excellent situation in 7 games in a season that is long gone to assess JG's value and their approach for the next draft.

They need many many peaces so I agree that they should trade down and get more picks to invest on the roster as a whole. Unless JG shines for the rest of this current season I can see them offering him the Mike Glennon contract, 3 years, 45 Million.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the article is what happens if JAG doesn't sign the franchise tag???? He is not then under contract and can't be traded giving him the leverage( he could control where he goes in a trade- by refusing to sign e.g. Cleveland) . Yes, a team could then pull the tag but then he is a free agent, albeit late in the free agent signing season but he is then free to sign with whomever he wants.....

Agree that Niners will not trade him.
Just a bunch of crap

Yeah, and I might win the lottery in the off season. I probably won't, though...

The 49ers have around $65M in cap room THIS year. Rolled into next year, they should have above $110M in cap room. So no, the $22M tag is not going to matter much to them.

It's not the same scenario. The 49ers may well have over $117M in cap room depending on which projection you read. The Patriots might have $22M, and that doesn't include any potential deals for Solder/Butler/Bademosi/Burkhead/Slater or Lewis among key contributors.

There are a ton of things the 49ers can do that we can't because they have 4 or 5 times more money available. So nobody should be shocked or surprised or disappointed if they put together different options. It's like being amazed that a millionaire has more vacation options than a teacher making $60K a year. HOLY **** I CAN'T BELIEVE THE TEACHER DIDN'T GO ON THAT $50K DREAM VACATION. Is it really that shocking?

I heard Felger say the Patriots have smart people, they could figure it out. And I know a lot of people feel the same way. So fine, put it together then. How do you fit that contract in?

You have to pass on every day 1 free agent, including your own. You may have to restructure or cut a few people temporarily. Then you have to try and trade the pick when EVERYONE knows you have to do it. If it takes 3 days, you've missed out on every top free agent available. But maybe you get a 2nd and a 3rd. Congrats. You got an extra pick maybe at the expense of ruining your roster for 2018.

Again: YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. It's not about maximizing draft pick capital. You do what is best for the team overall. That potential additional draft capital isn't guaranteed, especially in a QB-rich draft, but especially at the expense of abandoning your upcoming free agents and all of the top free agents available.

Great post and one more thing: if JimmyG's worth a first-rounder, he should be starting for SF and lighting it up. He might have garnered that last year, though reports say differently, because of desperation in a QB-starved and draft-starved year.

But new QBs are emerging - Wentz, Watson, Taylor even - and this year's class has some bright prospects.

Belichick gonna trade Brady for Garropolo + 3 first round picks + 3 second round picks....all part of plan

The Niners won't trade him. This deal reeks of a gentleman's agreement between BB and Lynch/Shanahan. I think BB has tremendous respect for Shanahan & JG and wanted both to be successful.

There's no way BB does this if he thinks there is a 1% chance of JG ending up in the AFC East. He trusts that San Fran is not going to screw him over & this is probably why JG wasn't sold off to the highest bidder (like Cleveland, who would surely find a way to lose JG to the Jets).

Weird situation over there. Rumors he might not start until week 12? Trade talk before he has played a down? Franchise tags to do or do not? Not sure what the deal is with Lynch but it sounds more like a circus act then an actual trade. Probably more media driven though.

Anyway, it's their dilemna now, if they can net more draft capitol, good for them. It's time to move on and stop looking behind. It's a done deal.

The Pats trading Jimmy now, not only gives them what looks like one of the top picks in the second round, and hopefully the coveted #33 pick (the Ras IR pick). But it also frees up the franchise tag for Butler.

If the Pats had to franchise Jimmy, the price would have been astronomical and would have hamstrung them with the salary cap until they finally traded him. This way they trade him without having to deal with Jimmy's salary demands.

I highly doubt that SF trades him, as they are already going to have a top pick in the draft and can get much more by trading down from that pick, than they ever could from a franchised Jimmy.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the article is what happens if JAG doesn't sign the franchise tag???? He is not then under contract and can't be traded giving him the leverage( he could control where he goes in a trade- by refusing to sign e.g. Cleveland) . Yes, a team could then pull the tag but then he is a free agent, albeit late in the free agent signing season but he is then free to sign with whomever he wants.....

The Niners will likely have around $120 million in cap space next season if JG doesn't sign his tender (or get a deal done yet this season). The Niners also still have 9 draft picks in 2018, likely including one in the Top Three.

Not sure where JG has any leverage in this.

Can you say "Browns"? Honestly the Browns are the only team dumb enough to trade and pay for a 20 Million $ Jimmy who sat on 49er bench. Wouldn't put it past them though.

The idea of the 49ers not playing him this year and giving up a high second is insane. They need to play him and they will.

...why? Unless you think either Darnold (who has become a turnover machine this season) or Mayfield will absolutely be better than JAG, it makes zero sense to try and trade him.

Exactly not happening hog wash or nonsense.:rolleyes:

The Niners will likely have around $120 million in cap space next season if JG doesn't sign his tender (or get a deal done yet this season). The Niners also still have 9 draft picks in 2018, likely including one in the Top Three.

Not sure where JG has any leverage in this.
they can't trade a guy not under contract so if he doesn't sign, they are stuck either - rescind the tag and he walks or hold out hope they can negotiate a contract and then get traded... Obviously JAG would like to get paid but my point is that he too has some leverage and can refuse to sign the tag then get traded if he doesn't like the final team....

If they franchise Jimmy and he signs it than Jimmy has all the leverage. First I think the tag is $22M+, so over 1/3 of their cap space is gone. Second Cousins is not going to sign with Jimmy already there. Third it is real money not one of the NFL's fake deals - Jimmy gets $22M cash that year. Fourth Jimmy is an unrestricted fee agent again next year so San Fran has to sign him or pay $25M+ for the second franchise year.

Cousins learned this lesson and has been doing it to the Redskins who are in a real bind. They have been paying through the nose for no long-term stability. Cousins has all the leverage with the Redskins - he can write anything into the contract.

The only risk for Cousins is a career ending injury. San Fran will not franchise Jimmy and the Pats were not going to risk it either.
They will if the alternative is him walking.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back