PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Mac Jones Bombshell: Joel Klatt says Mac Jones was the original choice for SF.

there are 3 people everybody knows not to engage unless you want an everlasting debate....that is deus, rainmaker and ring 6
All three of them are fine contributors to this board and two of them just agreed to disengage from a debate in this thread.

Everyone assumes that because these guys made it to the NFL that they are shrewd and calculated professionals who know what they are doing. But really, these are just evaluators that fall in love with a talent and buy into hype like everyone else.
In other words it’s what would happen if some PatsFans posters ran a franchise.

If some other PatsFans posters were running it they’d be so busy squabbling over who’s the biggest loser that they’d never submit their pick or get anything else done.

So, back in the day, the Niners passed on homeboy Tom Brady who really would have loved to play for them. Now, they change their minds on Mac Jones, who eventually falls to the Pats. Hope the outcome of this miscue resembles that of the first blunder.

What makes you say he will need the most development time? I just explained all of the reasons that he doesn't need as much development time.

Let me remind you that Carson Wentz came from the same school, and no one thought he'd be ready right away. He was the "tools" pick. He beat out Sam Bradford, who was not a bad QB at the time, in Eagles training camp, and he played well right out of the gates in the NFL.

He's the least likely to start because they already have a decent starter and a playoff team. This isn't a competition vs nobodies in NY or JAX.
Carson Wentz had one good season on a stacked team and another QB took that team and won a SB. Lance is something like the 5th youngest QB ever drafted, Lance played one full season in college and that was over a year ago, his accuracy is spotty and he bails on plays to run more than he should and needs way better decision making. He's very raw and needs to be fined tuned.

The worst accuracy of the 5 QB's. His offense ran the ball 70% of the time. Played no FCS team. He only averaged 160 yards passing per game !
Completed 67% of his passes at 9.7 yards per clip, 28 TD's with zero INT's is bad accuracy... on what planet?

To much is made about his level of competition. N Dakota is the premier program at that level, they run a pro system and he was asked to read coverages and adjust blocking at a young age. Small school status didn't bother Tony Romo, Carson Wentz or others before them.

That is awful. Someone should be fired for this.

Why?

2/3 of the idiots on this site wanted to take their evaluation of Jimmy G at face value.

Who is going to step up here at patsfans and plead dumb that they willingly would listen to Abbott and Costello?

In hindsight they could have moved up 2 spots at the cost of a 3rd rounder (the eagles did that with the actual pick sf originally owned) instead of giving up 2 1s and 3 and still had their choice of the 3.
But you don’t operate in hindsight and common belief is that Atlanta, New England, Denver, Chicago, Carolina, Washington were all dying to get into the top 10 to draft those QBs.

Why?

2/3 of the idiots on this site wanted to take their evaluation of Jimmy G at face value.

Who is going to step up here at patsfans and plead dumb that they willingly would listen to Abbott and Costello?
I don’t think anyone was taking SF evaluation of Jimmy G at face value I think they were taking Jimmy G being made of glass at face value.

Carson Wentz had one good season on a stacked team and another QB took that team and won a SB. Lance is something like the 5th youngest QB ever drafted, Lance played one full season in college and that was over a year ago, his accuracy is spotty and he bails on plays to run more than he should and needs way better decision making. He's very raw and needs to be fined tuned.

Yes Trey's accuracy was the worst among the 5 QBs beyond short passes. Half the time people cite how great he interviews, as a reason to draft him. Huge risk going with a guy whose offense ran the ball 70% of the time.

I just think if a guy is “a project” it means there are more unknowns and uncertainty about whether or not he’ll make it in the NFL. Sure, he seems to have tremendous upside, but any type of learning curve means that the guy will have to learn and integrate new concepts, which gets stacked on top of the already built-in uncertainty of playing in the NFL.

Colin Kaepernick might be a good comparison here, with the 49ers also. Took him some time to transition while Alex Smith was the steady eddy. Except two big things: (1) For every guy like Kaepernick who succeeds after a “development” phase, there are many others who fail. (2) Kaepernick was taken with the 36th overall pick, not the 3rd, the reason being that he was such a rough prospect.

I’m not saying Lance and Kaepernick are similar in their skill set but just in the plans for their development and that they both have the “raw but talented” designation...but I would think the 49ers are expecting a similar transition as Smith/Kaepernick in 2012 when suddenly the 49ers had another dimension of their offense.

Lance also only played one season in 2019. One exhibition game in 2020. His upside would have to be Patrick Mahomes level to justify two first round picks (well, three if you count the one actually used.) That’s a **** ton of draft capital, time investment, uncertainty, and risk for this player.

such perfect vengeance for how they tried to fleece the Pats for Jimmy G, then didn't act fairly when Pats wanted him back - when they clearly don't want Jimmy G. I love it when a plan comes together.

If so, that means that he is just innately inaccurate, which is a problem. The better scenario for the Niners would be “They are confident that he can improve his accuracy with a few minor tweaks to his throwing mechanics”.
He did have inconsistency in his mechanics. However, he has a cleaner throwing motion and better dropback footwork than most QBs in the draft. And since he only played 1 game in 2020, he's been working for like 6 months on his mechanics. At his pro day, the inconsistency with his mechanics were fixed.

The point was that Wentz was ready to play right away. I'm not saying they will have the same career trajectory or that they are the same player.

He needs way better decision making? You know he threw like 1 interception in his entire career, right? Given the claims that he is inaccurate and makes bad decisions, it's kind of amazing that he did that?

Mac Jones also only played one full season of college football. What's your point?

I think Lance is likely available at 12 too. But, if the kid is a star, it won’t matter much.

I just think if a guy is “a project” it means there are more unknowns and uncertainty about whether or not he’ll make it in the NFL. Sure, he seems to have tremendous upside, but any type of learning curve means that the guy will have to learn and integrate new concepts, which gets stacked on top of the already built-in uncertainty of playing in the NFL.

Colin Kaepernick might be a good comparison here, with the 49ers also. Took him some time to transition while Alex Smith was the steady eddy. Except two big things: (1) For every guy like Kaepernick who succeeds after a “development” phase, there are many others who fail. (2) Kaepernick was taken with the 36th overall pick, not the 3rd, the reason being that he was such a rough prospect.

I’m not saying Lance and Kaepernick are similar in their skill set but just in the plans for their development and that they both have the “raw but talented” designation...but I would think the 49ers are expecting a similar transition as Smith/Kaepernick in 2012 when suddenly the 49ers had another dimension of their offense.

Lance also only played one season in 2019. One exhibition game in 2020. His upside would have to be Patrick Mahomes level to justify two first round picks (well, three if you count the one actually used.) That’s a **** ton of draft capital, time investment, uncertainty, and risk for this player.

Imagine being Alex Smith and have a career as the bridge QB first for Kaepernick and then Mahomes.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back