2018 Official NFL rules, including casebook and instant replay casebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
@luuked asked a question in another thread about why NE lost their challenge inspired me to go looking for this. Here it is:
https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Offseason/2018 - Rule Book.pdf
(the Instant Replay Casebook starts at page 183 of that PDF).

Anyhow, NE's second challenge failed because it did not change the material outcome of the play. As originally ruled, LAC had possession of the ball at that spot. After review, LAC still had possession of the ball at that spot. Hence the challenge fails.

Another thing I didn't know about replay is that the spot of the ball can only be challenged if there's a question about whether or not the ball crossed the line to gain or the goal line.

So let's say it's 3rd and 20 and the QB throws a quick hitch to a receiver who tightropes the sideline and is unquestionably and obviously brought down two yards short of the line to gain. But an official says the player stepped OOB after 7 yards. Believe it or not, the offense is not even allowed to challenge the spot in that situation, even though there's a huge difference between 4th and 2 and 4th and 13. If the receiver was brought down close to the line to gain it could be challenged. And if the review shows the receiver didn't go OOB the ball will be respotted. However, unless the respot results in a first down -- even if the respot turns 4th and 13 into 4th and inches -- the offense is still loses the challenge and a timeout.

Another interesting quirk is that by the explicit text of the rule, the ball can never be respotted further away from the line to gain even if review clearly shows the spot is wrong in that direction. 3rd and a long 2 on your own 40. QB hands off and RB is marked down at the 42, close to but short of the sticks. The offense challenges, saying he made it, but replay shows that the RB was indisputably down by contact at the 41. The ball is not moved back to the 41 but remains at the original, erroneous spot. (And of course the offense loses the challenge because the respot did not result in a first down).

@luuked asked a question in another thread about why NE lost their challenge inspired me to go looking for this. Here it is:
https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Offseason/2018 - Rule Book.pdf
(the Instant Replay Casebook starts at page 183 of that PDF).

Anyhow, NE's second challenge failed because it did not change the material outcome of the play. As originally ruled, LAC had possession of the ball at that spot. After review, LAC still had possession of the ball at that spot. Hence the challenge fails.

Another thing I didn't know about replay is that the spot of the ball can only be challenged if there's a question about whether or not the ball crossed the line to gain or the goal line.

So let's say it's 3rd and 20 and the QB throws a quick hitch to a receiver who tightropes the sideline and is unquestionably and obviously brought down two yards short of the line to gain. But an official says the player stepped OOB after 7 yards. Believe it or not, the offense is not even allowed to challenge the spot in that situation, even though there's a huge difference between 4th and 2 and 4th and 13. If the receiver was brought down close to the line to gain it could be challenged. And if the review shows the receiver didn't go OOB the ball will be respotted. However, unless the respot results in a first down -- even if the respot turns 4th and 13 into 4th and inches -- the offense is still loses the challenge and a timeout.

Another interesting quirk is that by the explicit text of the rule, the ball can never be respotted further away from the line to gain even if review clearly shows the spot is wrong in that direction. 3rd and a long 2 on your own 40. QB hands off and RB is marked down at the 42, close to but short of the sticks. The offense challenges, saying he made it, but replay shows that the RB was indisputably down by contact at the 41. The ball is not moved back to the 41 but remains at the original, erroneous spot. (And of course the offense loses the challenge because the respot did not result in a first down).

This is absolutely ******ed.

I mean I get that the league doesn't want lazy challenges but a situation like that can be a game deciding difference. I really don't understand the logic here. Same as I don't understand why you can't challenge false starts and whatnot. It is pretty black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes