PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Training Camp - Day Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg what an amazing response! hahahaha

Between Gronk and MartyB, we not only are going to get the beastly 2-headed TE monster that will part the proverbial seas for the rest of the offense, we'll be getting some funny quotes afterward. It's like getting a 2 course meal AND $1m at the same time.

Both are going to get PAID next year... im not confident that the Patriots will be the one paying either of them though, because I think they'll demand quite a bit of cash.. Similar to how Chung got pulled away to the Eagles with a real big offer.. same will happen with Harmon and Ryan

Unless they don't plan on keeping Butler, in which case maybe Ryan would get extended.. but other than Revis, they haven't really paid a premium on the CB position since Ty Law

That's just it. I think they fully plan on keeping Butler. That's why I believe that, if Roberts, C. Jones, and Coleman all step up that we'll see Ryan dealt. A starting corner isn't some minor commodity like some people would have you think that would only net a 4th rounder.

That's just it. I think they fully plan on keeping Butler. That's why I believe that, if Roberts, C. Jones, and Coleman all step up that we'll see Ryan dealt. A starting corner isn't some minor commodity like some people would have you think that would only net a 4th rounder.
I would love to deal Ryan but I agree with the 0.0% chance it will happen because I think every other team in the league knows he's not that good.

Oh man, I was screaming at the TV. Butler thankfully had the presence of mind to get up and make the tackle. People will only remember the pick, but Butler was huge in the whole fourth quarter.

I think Harmon is gone after this season sadly. I'll be happy to see what he can do in this league as a starter somewhere though. I like him and he's a good guy by the accounts I've heard and read.

I met Harmon and Blount at a fundraiser last year. I didn't have the balls to ask Harmon about the Kearse play.

He and Dobson are the two guys I'm following the hardest this camp. Roberts has all of the physical traits to be an excellent corner in the NFL. He just needs to possess the instincts and needs to be coached up. We'll see where he's at when the preseason games kick off but, from everything I've read, he seems to have good positioning on most of the plays that he's targeted.

Dobson has had a good camp thus far as well, but my enthusiasm is tempered much more with him. This is now make or break time with him and he's had good showings in TC and OTA's before. Dobson's biggest issue, aside from fighting the ball, is his relative reluctance to go over the middle when he's hearing footsteps. That's an issue in any offense. It's especially an issue in this offense. If Dobson has put it together and gets over that, he'll certainly be a weapon. With Bennett now added to this offense, he and a healthy Gronk are going to demand safety help a lot which means big plays may be there to be had on routes like the post for Dobson, who would see single coverage a lot. Whether or not he's turned the corner and can stay healthy remains to be seen.

There's still a lot of room left on the Harper bandwagon if anyone wants to hop on.
Already claimed my seat. So far thinking it'll be an enjoyable ride. Waiting to see.

I met Harmon and Blount at a fundraiser last year. I didn't have the balls to ask Harmon about the Kearse play.
Knowing me, I would have wanted to talk about his Flacco pick in the AFCDG.

Both are going to get PAID next year... im not confident that the Patriots will be the one paying either of them though, because I think they'll demand quite a bit of cash.. Similar to how Chung got pulled away to the Eagles with a real big offer.. same will happen with Harmon and Ryan

Unless they don't plan on keeping Butler, in which case maybe Ryan would get extended.. but other than Revis, they haven't really paid a premium on the CB position since Ty Law
Hey Mayo, I'm zeroing in on only one aspect of your post, if I may. What happened with Chung had less to do with money and more to do with a fresh start for both sides. Chung was not entirely happy with his diminishing role on D as the coaching staff began to lose faith in his coverage ability. The team wanted a safety who could help in both run support and in coverage.

Bill talked about this in 2014 and said both sides bear blame in the way Chung's prior stint played out and ended. They have found his niche since his return, which has coincided with a vast improvement in his coverage skills. He's still prone to giving up some plays (who isn't), but he doesn't do it nearly at the rate he did with us before and with the Eagles.

With all that said, I believe Harmon views himself as a starter in this league. And judging by how he's often in the game at critical times, I think the team feels the same. It's just that the guys ahead of him are maybe considered slightly better. This is similar to why we lost Tavon Wilson, though he's nowhere near as good as Harmon, IMO (different type of player too). I'd love if the team could keep him, but I don't think it'll happen. I'll follow his career though, just like I'll be checking in on Chandler Jones and Stevan Ridley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft