PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Training Camp - Day Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you know this how?

I bet you said the same thing about Lawyer Milloy, Drew Bledsoe, and Richard Seymour.

It's much more likely that he gets traded because of the following:

1 - Last year of his contract.
2 - He's the lesser CB who needs to be signed between him and Butler
3 - His value is very high as a solid #2 CB.
4 - The team needs to focus on Hightower and Collins more than Ryan.

1- Small contract ($1.8m cap hit)
2 & 4- What does Ryan playing out the year have to do with Butler, Hightower or Collins? Absolutely nothing.
3- Very high value? What's that? A 4th rounder? Pats can let him play out the year and then get a tradable 4th round comp in '18. Because if he is as valuable as you say he is some team will pay him good money in FA.

Fact is Butler and Ryan are the only proven CB right now on the roster. Coleman showed promise but I wouldn't call him proven just yet.

Bill is trying to win a SB he isn't gonna ship a CB that has proven to be solid to very good in the system that is on small money for anything that doesn't blow him away and I don't think any team is gonna blow him away for Ryan.

Last edited:
Hey buddy. I never saw your post. I didn't know who K was speaking to. I was only responding, or adding to, what he wrote. So no harm, no foul at all, my friend.
My bad. My post was mostly responding to Manx about White. The stuff about Logan Ryan was just additional in regard to another post I saw in this thread.

My bad. My post was mostly responding to Manx about White. The stuff about Logan Ryan was just additional in regard to another post I saw in this thread.
I hear you, my friend. And I agree with both your points for sure.

With regards to White, like him as a receiver/open field runner but DJ Foster and Donald Brown were clearly brought in for a reason.

White can't shake first contact consistently. While shifty and great hands, the double whammy that weakness brings is worth the competition. Whammy one he's not a dual threat - if he's in the backfield, likely going to be a pass (and even if it isn't playing in a sub package doesn't hurt the D he goes down so easily). Whammy two - many of the passes the Pats run for the RBs are behind the down marker and expect the player to make the first defender miss. When defenders get hands on White - most of the time he goes down.

I said the same exact thing when I heard about this. He is not always in position, but he finds a way to make plays. What I especially like is that a lot of them come in big moments when the D really needs it. Think about the divisional round in 2014. That pick of Flacco was HUGE!

I remember reading that the Pats defense had been working on their long pass plays. It sure helped on that play.

My only complaint with Harmon was the way he gave up on that long pass to Kearse in SB 49. He could have easily knocked that ball away if he stayed with it.

Of COURSE he will. Don't forget Jesus is a Jew. On the other hand he might be late for the Saturday walk thru if they hold in in the morning. ;)

Saturday Wild Card games might be tough.

************ is going start week 5? I dunno. The game's changed a lot since 33 A.D.

He's used to being the quarterback of 12 other guys, not 10. The roster size might be a challenge.

In other news....I'm so freaking pumped that the Pats' training camp has started!!!!!

1- Small contract ($1.8m cap hit)
2 & 4- What does Ryan playing out the year have to do with Butler, Hightower or Collins? Absolutely nothing.
3- Very high value? What's that? A 4th rounder? Pats can let him play out the year and then get a tradable 4th round comp in '18. Because if he he as valuable as you say he is some team will pay him good money in FA.

Fact is Butler and Ryan are the only proven CB right now on the roster. Coleman showed promise but I wouldn't call him proven just yet.

Bill is trying to win a SB he isn't gonna ship a CB that has proven to be solid to very good in the system that is on small money for anything that doesn't blow him away and I don't think any team is gonna blow him away for Ryan.

Ryan's lack of a cap hit for the Pats is exactly why he's tradeable.
High Value is a 4th rounder? How about a 2nd rounder. 4th round is mid value.

The Pats will be lucky if they get a 4th round comp for him. Every year the amount that it takes for comps get's higher and higher. A 2nd next year is worth a lot more than late 4th round pick in 2018.

BTW, nice overlooking what I said in my original post about Roberts, Coleman, and Cyrus Jones. But then, ignoring things is modus operandi for people throwing up stupid stuff like "There is 0.0% chance of Ryan being traded". Just like people said that Milloy wouldn't be cut. That Bledsoe wouldn't be traded. That Seymour wouldn't be traded. Cutting Sanders and Meriweather at the final cuts of the pre-season a few years back..

Newsflash for you. BB's goal every year is to win the SB. And he's still made those moves..

I remember reading that the Pats defense had been working on their long pass plays. It sure helped on that play.

My only complaint with Harmon was the way he gave up on that long pass to Kearse in SB 49. He could have easily knocked that ball away if he stayed with it.
Oh man, I was screaming at the TV. Butler thankfully had the presence of mind to get up and make the tackle. People will only remember the pick, but Butler was huge in the whole fourth quarter.

I think Harmon is gone after this season sadly. I'll be happy to see what he can do in this league as a starter somewhere though. I like him and he's a good guy by the accounts I've heard and read.

Getting ************ under the salary cap will be easy. All he needs is some sandles, bread and a few minutes to pray every now and then.
He walked on water. Do you really think he needs the sandles? We can incentivise those. Lol

Patriots have 55+ million in free cap space next year.. And you think they won't be able to keep Harmon?
Ryan is the odd man out, imho..

Both are going to get PAID next year... im not confident that the Patriots will be the one paying either of them though, because I think they'll demand quite a bit of cash.. Similar to how Chung got pulled away to the Eagles with a real big offer.. same will happen with Harmon and Ryan

Unless they don't plan on keeping Butler, in which case maybe Ryan would get extended.. but other than Revis, they haven't really paid a premium on the CB position since Ty Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back