2015 NFL Mock Drafts

The ATippett56 Early Bird Special :eek:

2015 New England Patriots Preliminary Mock Draft - 11/04/14 :D

1st Round - Refer to updated post
2nd Round - Trey Flowers, DE - Arkansas
3rd Round - Jeremy Langford, RB - Michigan State
3rd Round Compensatory - Jaquiski Tartt, SS - Samford
4th Round - Laken Tomlinson, OG - Duke
4th Round - Jeff Heuerman, TE - Ohio State or Clive Walford, TE - Miami (Fla.)
6th Round - Jake Smith, OC/OG - Louisville
7th Round - Stephone Anthony, ILB - Clemson or Taiwan Jones, ILB - Michigan State

2015 Top NFL Draft Prospects Rankings (updated 11/04/2014) by NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/all
1st Round - Refer to options below (based on availability)

Alvin Dupree, DE - Kentucky #25
Danny Shelton, DT - Washington #29
T.J. Clemmings, OG/OT - Pittsburgh #38
Ty Sambrailo, OG/OT - Colorado State #32
Spencer Drango, OG/OT - Baylor #36 (2013 back surgery requires further evaluation)

# - NFLDraftScout Rankings as of 11/6/2014

Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball has a 3 round mock out with 5 DEs going in the top 8 picks: Leonard Williams (1), Randy Gregory (2), Shane Ray (5), Dante Fowler (6) and Shawn Oakman (8). That would be unprecedented, I think.

Of course he also has Shaq Thompson (41), Bernardrick McKinney (44) and Bud Dupree (46) in the 2nd round. And none of TJ Clemmings, Tevin Coleman or Arik Amsted make his top 96. Yum.

This is my "I'm bored so it's time for a mock" mock.

Assumptions

Re-sign Revis, McCourty, Vereen, Chung, Ayers, Gostkowski and maybe Branch and Casillas if they perform. Consider letting one or more of Amendola, Arrington or Vollmer go (in that order) to afford this. My preference is to keep all three however because they are all making contributions.

Consider signing Mark Ingram. That might be my preferred option at RB but for the purposes of this mock, I'm assuming that doesn't happen.

A Word on Bud Dupree.

I'm not including him in this mock but I do consider him an almost perfect fit for the Patriots, particularly if we continue with the defensive shape we showcased against the Broncos. Throw in the fact that he has Jamie Collins' athleticism whilst being bigger and having SEC experience and he just seems like to good a fit. Why isn't he in this mock? Partly to do something different, partly because I like TJ Clemmings just as much and can't realistically justify both without some trade shenanigans, and partly because Chandler Jones, Ayers, Ninkovich and Hightower doesn't leave a great deal of space for him. This does not mean that I wouldn't be thrilled to draft him in reality.

Round One

TJ Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh.

I wonder, in my crazier moments, whether TJ Clemmings might actually end up being better than Brandon Scherff in the long run. Clemmings is a tremendous run blocker, is outstanding in space and is more than fine in pass protection. I prefer him as a Mankins type LG that can move defenders in the run game but I'd be fine with him at RT too if Vollmers potential 7.75m cap cost becomes too much to bear. Clemmings and Dupree are my two favourite prospects right now.

Round Two

Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana

A revelation this season, Tevin Coleman has showcased the ability to break tackles and the long run with equal aplomb. He's had Darren McFadden comparisons from more than one source and would make for an outstanding 1-2 punch with Vereen.

Round Three

Anthony Harris, S, Virginia

An experienced productive quarterback of the defence prospect, Anthony Harris fits the McCourty mould of safety better in coverage than against the run, although he's no slouch there. Against Denver we often had four DBs playing press coverage with McCourty as the single high guy - Harris fits such a defence. On the other hand, the big safety loitering in the middle of the field waiting for the big hit is not something we saw that often. This is why I tend to favour the coverage safety rather than the Kam Chancellor type. FWIW, ESPN have Harris ranked as a high second round pick whereas CBS rank him at 83.

Round Three

DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech

Hopefully more Demaryius Thomas than Stephen Hill. Smelter doesn't have Hill's athleticism (4.5-4.6) but he's a big receiver at 6-3, 220 that gets up to speed quickly with good hands. He is an outstanding run blocker though. This isn't a pick I'm wedded to but I like his potential and with Dobson and Tyms not setting things alight, there could well be an opportunity here. Brandon Lafell isn't a terrible comparison for Smelter.

Round Four

Paul Dawson, MLB, TCU

I saw him compared to Jerod Mayo which prompted me too watch him and whilst he doesn't have Mayo's size nor his athleticism (probably), I could see it in his game film. He's an excellent diagnoser of plays in the run game and isn't a slouch in coverage either. With Mayo's injury issues, Dawson could be a good person to have on the roster.

Round Four

Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma

This former QB is improving as a TE and at 6'6" and 259lbs, he certainly has the size. He probably won't match Logan Thomas' athleticism from last year but there are some similarities. Gronk needs a backup and Bell could be that in the longer term.

Round Six

Lynden Trail, DE/OLB, Norfolk State

If you haven't seen his highlight tape from last year then I strongly urge you to do so; it's a lot of fun. At 6'6" and 260lbs, Trail has the athleticism to play a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, he has the length to set the edge and then throw in the fact that he has three receiving TDs as a WR (including a tremendous high pointing end zone catch in double coverage that would make Gronk jealous), a gunner in punt coverage and occasional DB. Like Armonty Bryant from two years ago and Terrence Fede from last year, Trail is likely going to be my small school binky this year.

Round Six

Zach Zenner, RB, South Dakota State

A bit of a duplication here with Tevin Coleman but I just wanted to highlight what a tremendous athlete Zach Zenner is. He's 6'1" and 220lbs and is a timed 4.5 runner, fast for that size. Jenner is excellent in getting yards after contact and like Coleman, can break the long one. If I was marketing Zenner, I'd use the tag line "runs over linemen, through linebackers and away from defensive backs".

Round Seven

Andre Monroe, DL, Maryland

Will Sutton meets Dominique Easley. At only 5'11", I'm not sure where Monroe would fit in our defence unless it's next to Easley in a Nascar package. The thing is, in such a situation, I'm not convinced that Easley gets off the snap quicker than Monroe. Watch him against the top 10 ranked Brandon Scherff. In one game, Monroe beats Scherff four times for two sacks and two QB pressures. There are only four pass rushers more productive (sacks) than Monroe at the FBS level: Joey Bosa, Randy Gregory, Shane Ray and Hauoli Kikaha.

Priority FA

Terry Williams, DT, ECU

The most Wilforkian DT I've seen. There seems to be some serious character red flags and he might not be draftable but, like Wilfork, Williams has the strength and quickness to reset the line of scrimmage, not something you often see from Nose tackles.

Last edited:
This is my "I'm bored so it's time for a mock" mock.

Assumptions

Re-sign Revis, McCourty, Vereen, Chung, Ayers, Gostkowski and maybe Branch and Casillas if they perform. Consider letting one or more of Amendola, Arrington or Vollmer go (in that order) to afford this. My preference is to keep all three however because they are all making contributions.

Consider signing Mark Ingram. That might be my preferred option at RB but for the purposes of this mock, I'm assuming that doesn't happen.

A Word on Bud Dupree.

I'm not including him in this mock but I do consider him an almost perfect fit for the Patriots, particularly if we continue with the defensive shape we showcased against the Broncos. Throw in the fact that he has Jamie Collins' athleticism whilst being bigger and having SEC experience and he just seems like to good a fit. Why isn't he in this mock? Partly to do something different, partly because I like TJ Clemmings just as much and can't realistically justify both without some trade shenanigans, and partly because Chandler Jones, Ayers, Ninkovich and Hightower doesn't leave a great deal of space for him. This does not mean that I wouldn't be thrilled to draft him in reality.

Round One

TJ Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh.

I wonder, in my crazier moments, whether TJ Clemmings might actually end up being better than Brandon Scherff in the long run. Clemmings is a tremendous run blocker, is outstanding in space and is more than fine in pass protection. I prefer him as a Mankins type LG that can move defenders in the run game but I'd be fine with him at RT too if Vollmers potential 7.75m cap cost becomes too much to bear. Clemens and Dupree are my two favourite prospects right now.

Round Two

Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana

A revelation this season, Tevin Coleman has showcased the ability to break tackles and the long run with equal aplomb. He's had Darren McFadden comparisons from more than one source and would make for an outstanding 1-2 punch with Vereen.

Round Three

Anthony Harris, S, Virginia

An experienced productive quarterback of the defence prospect, Anthony Harris fits the McCourty mould of safety better in coverage than against the run, although he's no slouch there. Against Denver we often had four DBs playing press coverage with McCourty as the single high guy - Harris fits such a defence. On the other hand, the big safety loitering in the middle of the field waiting for the big hit is not something we saw that often. This is why I tend to favour the coverage safety rather than the Kam Chancellor type. FWIW, ESPN have Harris ranked as a high second round pick whereas CBS rank him at 83.

Round Three

DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech

Hopefully more Demaryius Thomas than Stephen Hill. Smelter doesn't have Hill's athleticism (4.5-4.6) but he's a big receiver at 6-3, 220 that gets up to speed quickly with good hands. He is an outstanding run blocker though. This isn't a pick I'm wedded to but I like his potential and with Dobson and Tyms not setting things alight, there could well be an opportunity here. Brandon Lafell isn't a terrible comparison for Smelter.

Round Four

Paul Dawson, MLB, TCU

I saw him compared to Jerod Mayo which prompted me too watch him and whilst he doesn't have Mayo's size nor his athleticism (probably), I could see it in his game film. He's an excellent diagnoser of plays in the run game and isn't a slouch in coverage either. With Mayo's injury issues, Dawson could be a good person to have on the roster.

Round Four

Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma

This former QB is improving as a TE and at 6'6" and 259lbs, he certainly has the size. He probably won't match Logan Thomas' athleticism from last year but there are some similarities. Gronk needs a backup and Bell could be that in the longer term.

Round Six

Lynden Trail, DE/OLB, Norfolk State

If you haven't seen his highlight tape from last year then I strongly urge you to do so; it's a lot of fun. At 6'6" and 260lbs, Trail has the athleticism to play a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, he has the length to set the edge and then throw in the fact that he has three receiving TDs as a WR (including a tremendous high pointing end zone catch in double coverage that would make Gronk jealous), a gunner in punt coverage and occasional DB. Like Armonty Bryant from two years ago and Terrence Fede from last year, Trail is likely going to be my small school binky this year.

Round Six

Zach Zenner, RB, South Dakota State

A bit of a duplication here with Tevin Coleman but I just wanted to highlight what a tremendous athlete Zach Zenner is. He's 6'1" and 220lbs and is a timed 4.5 runner, fast for that size. Jenner is excellent in getting yards after contact and like Coleman, can break the long one. If I was marketing Zenner, I'd use the tag line "runs over linemen, through linebackers and away from defensive backs".

Round Seven

Andre Monroe, DL, Maryland

Will Sutton meets Dominique Easley. At only 5'11", I'm not sure where Monroe would fit in our defence unless it's next to Easley in a Nascar package. The thing is, in such a situation, I'm not convinced that Easley gets off the snap quicker than Monroe. Watch him against the top 10 ranked Brandon Scherff. In one game, Monroe beats Scherff four times for two sacks and two QB pressures. There are only four pass rushers more productive (sacks) than Monroe at the FBS level: Joey Bosa, Randy Gregory, Shane Ray and Hauoli Kikaha.

Priority FA

Terry Williams, DT, ECU

The most Wilforkian DT I've seen. There seems to be some serious character red flags and he might not be draftable but, like Wilfork, Williams has the strength and quickness to reset the line of scrimmage, not something you often see from Nose tackles.

Nice effort. A few thoughts:

1. I obviously would prefer a DE earlier than day 3, but I like Lyndon Trail.

2. Right now a have Scherff/Clemmings as my top OLs, and Oakman/Dupree as my top DEs. I don't expect Scherff or Oakman to be within range, but there's a lot of time until the draft. I'm hoping for at least one of Clemmings/Dupree. I would be elated if we could somehow get both. Spencer Drango, La'el Collins, Cam Eving and possibly Ereck Flowers are all nice alternatives at OL, but I'm sold on Clemmings' athleticism and upside.

3. I'm similarly sold on Tevin Bell. The problem for me is that I really want to go DE/OL in the first 2 rounds, and I don't see Bell lasting past the 2nd round. But if we had to go RB that early, he would be my choice. I like the idea of Mark Ingram, but I view it as an extreme long shot.

Nice effort. A few thoughts:

1. I obviously would prefer a DE earlier than day 3, but I like Lyndon Trail.

2. Right now a have Scherff/Clemmings as my top OLs, and Oakman/Dupree as my top DEs. I don't expect Scherff or Oakman to be within range, but there's a lot of time until the draft. I'm hoping for at least one of Clemmings/Dupree. I would be elated if we could somehow get both. Spencer Drango, La'el Collins, Cam Eving and possibly Ereck Flowers are all nice alternatives at OL, but I'm sold on Clemmings' athleticism and upside.

3. I'm similarly sold on Tevin Bell. The problem for me is that I really want to go DE/OL in the first 2 rounds, and I don't see Bell lasting past the 2nd round. But if we had to go RB that early, he would be my choice. I like the idea of Mark Ingram, but I view it as an extreme long shot.

Whilst I can understand the urge to upgrade the pass rush and this is certainly the year to do it, Jones, Ayers, Ninkovich and Hightower and even Jamie Collins are a pretty good crew. And I included the fifth best pass rusher in CFB to boot :)

And I included the fifth best pass rusher in CFB to boot :)

I haven't studied Monroe yet, but I'm a bit skeptical, for all the reasons you've discussed. I'll defer judgment for now.

Dane Brugler and Rob Rang of CBS Sports both have updated mocks out. Rang has the Pats taking Marcus Peters at #31, Brugler has AJ Cann. Both have Denver taking TJ Clemmings at #30 - ouch. Bud Dupree goes at #23 to Phill in Brugler's mock, at #26 to Dallas in Rang's. I'd hope that the Pats would move up to snag one of those 2 guys in that scenario.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-marcus-peters-slips-but-not-out-of-round-one
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...aft-to-improve-on-d-giants-bears-bet-on-speed

Fans of Tevin Coleman slipping to the Pats may have caught a break too. Like brother Manxman. IU is down to a true-frosh qb. He's about 6ft 160lb and not much of an arm. Pretty quick. Can't throw yet though. Teams are gonna focus on Tevin now. PSU held him to 71 yards on 20 carries. First sub-100 yard game of the year. Not his fault. PSU has an outstanding run defense. Statistically, tops in the country. He had nowhere to go. And, probably won't the rest of the year. Won't have a bowl game either to impress in.

Having the supplemental pick for Talib and Tampa's 4th is really looking good for a move up right now.

I think Clemmings would be an ideal move up for this team and would kill two birds in one stone. Starter at guard who can back up tackle if needed.

If Revis is resigned why even bother with Peters? Is there even such thing as a shutdown cornerback anymore? Revis is as close as you can get but with the new rules he even has limitations. Pairing Revis and Peters would be an interesting tandem if Peters could soak it all in. However, based on the 4 or 5 needs which I see as OT/G,DE,ILB and DT, I think it doesn't equate to a match unless they are going by bpa.

Of course he also has Shaq Thompson (41), Bernardrick McKinney (44) and Bud Dupree (46) in the 2nd round. And none of TJ Clemmings, Tevin Coleman or Arik Amsted make his top 96. Yum.

Charlie loses all credibility if he had any to begin with.

Dane Brugler and Rob Rang of CBS Sports both have updated mocks out. Rang has the Pats taking Marcus Peters at #31, Brugler has AJ Cann. Both have Denver taking TJ Clemmings at #30 - ouch. Bud Dupree goes at #23 to Phill in Brugler's mock, at #26 to Dallas in Rang's. I'd hope that the Pats would move up to snag one of those 2 guys in that scenario.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-marcus-peters-slips-but-not-out-of-round-one
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...aft-to-improve-on-d-giants-bears-bet-on-speed

I am a huge fan of aj's, but at #31? That seems high at this point in the process.

Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball has a 3 round mock out with 5 DEs going in the top 8 picks: Leonard Williams (1), Randy Gregory (2), Shane Ray (5), Dante Fowler (6) and Shawn Oakman (8). That would be unprecedented, I think.

If anything, the Walter Football mock drafts typically suck.

I am a huge fan of aj's, but at #31? That seems high at this point in the process.
I could stomach an offensive tackle in the first round but not an offensive guard, not in this draft anyway.

DeAndre Smelter?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=112375

NFLDraftScout Rank #610

Priority UDFA at best.

What CBS say six months from the draft has no bearing on what actually happens. I give you Ziggy Ansah, Mychal Kendricks and Jimmie Ward as supporting evidence. I've actually watched Smelter and I think he's draftable as a day two/day three talent. And it's not just me:

DRAFT STOCK

As things currently stand, Smelter is still unnoticed by much of the national media. In my rankings, I’ll put him on the verge of cracking the first round. The NFL will notice, and they’ll be impressed when they turn on the tape very soon.

http://nflmocks.com/2014/11/07/deandre-smelter-2015-nfl-draft-sleeper-year/

I'd be fine with [Clemmings] at RT too if Vollmers potential 7.75m cap cost becomes too much to bear.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say the problem of having a LT-caliber tackle playing RT is a high-class one.

Whilst I can understand the urge to upgrade the pass rush and this is certainly the year to do it, Jones, Ayers, Ninkovich and Hightower and even Jamie Collins are a pretty good crew. And I included the fifth best pass rusher in CFB to boot :)

An interesting point here is that Ayers will be a UFA after this season unless the Pats extend him before the league year starts.

So the big question is: do you think Ayers—assuming he continues to perform well—will be like Edelman in 2013 (few biters, b/c people wonder if he's a one-trick pony) or Edelman in 2014 (someone who will get paid good, but not ridiculous, money)?

If it's the former, I expect he'll be back, on a one- or two-year deal for reasonable money (somewhere in the $1M to $2M range). If the latter, he might not be a Patriot next year, but the Pats might get their draft capital back in 2016. ;)

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back