PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Free Agent Signings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day. Another round of top guys leaving the board (Tramon Williams - CB, Randy Starks - DT) while the Pats sit on a pile of money.

Stevie Johnson would have been nice to have and one of the options I would prefer but he was in a group of 6-7 guys who are all fairly close together ability wise. Seeing 2 more talented players on defense that IMO were clearly the best get signed while we stand still hurts.

The losses are starting to really pile up for the Pats:

Revis
Browner
Vereen
Castillo
Ayers
Vince

Revis & Browner is a huge loss. The other guys I think are replaceable. Pats plug n play with 3rd down RB. Ayers has been upgraded in Sheard. Castillo is another plug n play position.

The losses are starting to really pile up for the Pats:

Revis
Browner
Vereen
Castillo
Ayers
Vince

That's a lot of talent leaving and not much coming the other way.

As of today, the Pats defense is:

Niko, Jones, Branch, Jones
Hightower, Mayo, Collins (nothing wrong with that front seven)

Dennard, Butler, McCourty, and Chung (YIKES!)

No doubt they've had more talent leave but present it like that and it appears the Patriots have made no significant additions to speak of.

@davebirkett: DT Tyrunn Walker said he was offered a 3-year deal by the Patriots. Took a one-year deal with the Lions instead.

He signed for 1.75 for 1 year. What the heck did we offer him?

I'd debate how weak the secondary is. I think we're all expecting it to turn back into pre-Revis pre-Talib days, but don't forget that the secondary started to improve when McCourty moved to safety. In fact, Talib played banged up and even missed time, and the secondary fared OK in his absence. It's not top of the league, by any stretch, but we've won a lot with less.

Will see, having to go against what a coach prefers in playing tight man to prob having to change to a heavy zone team speaks volume to how much confidence and talent there is in the secondary.

Three more free agents to sign elsewhere: Aiken, Connolly, and Ridley. I wonder if any Superbowl
winner in history has lost nine players to free agency the very next tear?

OK. As long as we agree that this decision could very well turn out to be the right one.

It could but I just would like to see them off set impact players lost by getting impact players. Instead they seem to want to do in by getting depth for the most part which I don't agree with but we will see.

Maybe a big trade is coming. I will wait to see the finished product but I will go on record now saying I doubt we are quite as strong as last year.

Three more free agents to sign elsewhere: Aiken, Connolly, and Ridley. I wonder if any Superbowl
winner in history has lost nine players to free agency the very next tear?

Losing Ridley is a minor concern IMO. Be cheap to sign. Aiken is not even a concern. Connolly is finding his market is not what he thought it was I think. He was paid 4M last year. This year I think he is lucky to get 3 considering his age.

It could but I just would like to see them off set impact players lost by getting impact players. Instead they seem to want to do in by getting depth for the most part which I don't agree with but we will see.

Maybe a big trade is coming. I will wait to see the finished product but I will go on record now saying I doubt we are quite as strong as last year.

I don't think there's any doubt at all we aren't as strong as last year. Even with mayo and Easley set to return the team lost its two best corners and best DT.

OK. As long as we agree that this decision could very well turn out to be the right one.

There's no way the decision was the right one, if the reports are accurate, because that would mean that it was just a matter of cheaping out on guaranteed money paid in the early years of the deal. When you let a planet player walk over guaranteed money early in a deal, the question becomes whether it was just a suspect decision that can be overcome, or a terrible decision that cannot be overcome.

Losing Ridley is a minor concern IMO. Be cheap to sign. Aiken is not even a concern. Connolly is finding his market is not what he thought it was I think. He was paid 4M last year. This year I think he is lucky to get 3 considering his age.
Replacing these nine players with inferior players would be a problem.

On a side note I spoke to my sources recently in FA. Here is what I have heard

When asked if we will sign Stevie Johnson my source told me "Outlook does not look good".
When asked if we are trading for a CB my source told me "It is decidedly so".
When asked if we are going to trade for Mathis my source told me "Signs point to yes
When asked if we are going to draft a CB my source told me "concentrate and ask again".

Sorry I can not disclose my source. It is a 100% discrete arrangement.

Replacing these nine players with inferior players would be a problem.

I can bet you that whoever replaces Revis, Browner, Wilfork, and Vereen are going to be inferior players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back