PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 already looking to be a mess for the Bills- Marrone opts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much of Rex's success on D against us can be attributed to the divisional rivalry though. I don't want Philben gone because he's beat the Pats a couple times in the last few years.

Rex is almost guaranteed ineptitude on offence and I'd take that with the entertainment value.

Jets/Bills would be fun to see as well.

What exactly are you going to do if I feel like typing words such as favourite, centre, realise and drive on the left hand side of the road hmmm?
Now that would be a total mindFawkes :D

I agree with the above. Not impressed with Maroon. Whenever I've seen him on TV, he looks as if
he has no idea what to do next.

Brings back fond memories of Petey Carroll as Pats coach.
Whenever the Pats would do something mindblowingly stupid, as they did quite often, Petey would be on the sidelines, shocked look on his face with his mouth agape as if he was thinking, "Who are these guys?"

Brings back fond memories of Petey Carroll as Pats coach.
Whenever the Pats would do something mindblowingly stupid, as they did quite often, Petey would be on the sidelines, shocked look on his face with his mouth agape as if he was thinking, "Who are these guys?"
He still does it, but because his team kicks butt, its very rare.;)

Marrone had 4 Million reasons to walk away. He's had some successes (Kiko Alonso, Jerry Hughes) and failures (Manuel, Branch)

Let's remember that he was the one who drafted Manuel. He's the one who put the Bills in this position by insisting on trading up for Watkins when they had other clear needs.

Now, he can't be blamed for Mario Williams ridiculous contract (If Williams isn't a cap casualty with a 19M cap number, I'd be amazed), but he can be blamed for the contracts to Branch, McKelvin ($4.9M cap hit for a punt returner??? ), Manny Lawson (3.1M for a back-up DE?) and losing Levitre..

For the record, Marrone, like many NFL coaches (including Rex) is represented by Jimmy Sexton....Gotta love this article by Vic Carucci on Monday saying how likely it was that Marrone would not opt out.....

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/marrone-not-expected-to-use-contract-out-20141229
>>>>
However, league sources familiar with the situation said the clause was included when the Bills hired Marrone in 2013 as a safeguard because of the prospect of the team being sold, which happened when Terry and Kim Pegula bought the franchise last October. If Marrone was unhappy with the new ownership, or anything else, he would be free to seek employment elsewhere after his second season at the helm.

The chances of that happening seem slim, league sources say. They say the more practical application of the three-day window is for Marrone’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, to talk with the Pegulas about a contract extension for his client and perhaps seek a pay raise and more control over the 53-man roster.<<<<<<<<<
Maybe they didn't want to give him an extension.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would the following scenario (NOT REAL FOR THE READING IMPAIRED) not shock me.
At a press conference announcing Doug Marrone's hiring as the new head coach of the NY Jets, owner Woody Johnson was asked when he first offered the job to Marrone.
Johnson said," Oh, I called him right after he defeated the Patriots and told him I would add an extra year to his contract for that with a bonus"
"Ugh, wasn't he still under contract to the Bills then?"
"Huh, huh Jimmy his agent told me I could talk to him when we drew up the contract over Thanksgiving."
"Wait, you spoke to him even earlier than that??"
"Well the Patriots do it too, giving contracts to their coaches."
" Yeah, but those coaches are under contract to the Patriots.."
"Roger, Roger...somebody want to bail me out here.."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't be surprised if Marrone went back to college if the "local media criticism" was an issue..
I don't know. Maroon is a Bronx native, worked for the Jets before.....

I'm all for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marrone went back to college if the "local media criticism" was an issue..
Marrone is a local guy (local that is, to western NY) which was a big reason for his hire. Pure speculation on my part but I bet he has family up in that area, so if he were to take a college gig, I just don't see him uprooting to a SEC, ACC Big 12 location

I have to say this doesn't really surprise me. Marrone isn't dumb. He knew he would probably end up clashing with Polian, and so decided to opt out.

For the record, Marrone, like many NFL coaches (including Rex) is represented by Jimmy Sexton....Gotta love this article by Vic Carucci on Monday saying how likely it was that Marrone would not opt out.....

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/marrone-not-expected-to-use-contract-out-20141229
>>>>
However, league sources familiar with the situation said the clause was included when the Bills hired Marrone in 2013 as a safeguard because of the prospect of the team being sold, which happened when Terry and Kim Pegula bought the franchise last October. If Marrone was unhappy with the new ownership, or anything else, he would be free to seek employment elsewhere after his second season at the helm.

The chances of that happening seem slim, league sources say. They say the more practical application of the three-day window is for Marrone’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, to talk with the Pegulas about a contract extension for his client and perhaps seek a pay raise and more control over the 53-man roster.<<<<<<<<<
Maybe they didn't want to give him an extension.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would the following scenario (NOT REAL FOR THE READING IMPAIRED) not shock me.
At a press conference announcing Doug Marrone's hiring as the new head coach of the NY Jets, owner Woody Johnson was asked when he first offered the job to Marrone.
Johnson said," Oh, I called him right after he defeated the Patriots and told him I would add an extra year to his contract for that with a bonus"
"Ugh, wasn't he still under contract to the Bills then?"
"Huh, huh Jimmy his agent told me I could talk to him when we drew up the contract over Thanksgiving."
"Wait, you spoke to him even earlier than that??"
"Well the Patriots do it too, giving contracts to their coaches."
" Yeah, but those coaches are under contract to the Patriots.."
"Roger, Roger...somebody want to bail me out here.."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along the same line of thinking, here is some mis-direction from Manish Mehta, oh Casserly was calling about Jim Mora, not Marrone

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
Follow

Sunday, @JayGlazer reported advisor for Jets called Rex Ryan's agent to inquire about another coach. It was UCLA's Jim Mora, per source #nyj

10:34 PM - 30 Dec 2014

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
Follow

It's my understanding Charley Casserly reached out to Rex Ryan's agent, who also reps Jim Mora, to inquire about buyout language in contract

10:38 PM - 30 Dec 2014

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20..._consultant_know_how_to_use_the_internet.html

Jets/Bills would be fun to see as well.
So we have two teams in the division each looking for a new coach and the third that had to give a vote of confidence to announce that his job was secure....We take for granted that it wasn't that long ago (20 years isn't that long for some of us old farts) that Patriots' fans and the team were in the same position, relatively speaking...But from 1960-94, even in the good times, you knew they wouldn't last from Fairbanks running back to college before a playoff game, to Parcells negotiating to go to the Jets before a Super Bowl, even the good times had expiration dates shorter than room temperature milk....
Here's to hoping that 2015 is a happy healthy uneventful in the front office/ownership turnover department....and to celebrating stability...

Marrone wasn't very good IMO. Bad move by the Jets if they go for him. So that's what they'll probably do.
dumb move on marrones part if he signs up with the jest. in buffalo he had something to work with, if he goes to the jest he inherits a pile of junk. A dumb move if he Really wants to be a successful head coach, and isn't in it just for the money.

Last edited:
just read in the nydnews that woodrow is excited that marrone is now available. Looks like the woody was able to control himself a little longer this time even tough the jest probably had a hand in it through back door channels

NY Jets interested in Doug Marrone, who opts out of Bills contract, Woody Johnson calls his availability ‘good news’

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...rrone-woody-calls-good-news-article-1.2062548

Last edited:
Apparently Chargers OC Frank Reich is the favourite for the Bills job; Played for the Bills from 85 to 94.

We laugh and how inept the NYJ are now but from 1989 to 1992 the Pats were THE worst franchise in sports. Ownership. Stadium. Front office. Coaching. Players. Image. Brand. Everything....

I recall MacPherson bringing a lot of energy to the sidelines. The problem is that he had Joe Mendes, Sam Jankovich and Kiam as his support structure. Not good...

New owner. And now new team president.

Probably saw the writing on the wall...or maybe someone higher up in the organization gave him an opportunity to write his own exit.

This...... Seems like both he and Orton heard the "whispers". I thought is was odd the Orton straight up retired 1 day after the end of the season (why the hurry, generally players give themselves a few weeks/months to dwell on it). He obviously was still capable. Now, with Marone "opting" out after finally getting some "traction" in Buff. I'm suprised that, if this was his thinking all along, why it would have taken everyone inside the orginization by surprise (seems it did). Clearly there would have been some "subcontious" tells, no?

Seems like Buf is cleaning house in a quiet, kinder-gentler manner. Would make sense if someone quietly told him "Hey Doug, perhaps you ought to "consider" opting out more seriously". Not saying it did happen that way, but there sure are odd happenings in Buffalo after, what was thier best season in over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back