PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Contact List

Kelvin Benjamin almost matches up with Jermichael Finley.

Jermichael Finley:
Jermichael Finley - TE - Texas - 2008 NFL Combine Results

Kelvin Benjamin:
Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State - 2014 NFL Combine Results

The Pats could be scouting him to find out if he fits into our scheme. Or just trying to get a better understanding of the draft board and other teams' (ex. Green Bay #21 pick) potential targets.

Good find. Interesting to note, that Finley had 20 reps to Benjamin's 19 reps, so even in that regard, they're almost identical.

KB is a guy I am iffy about. I would not call him a reach at 29 and he would fit a need for us (basically he is a receiving TE) but I just don't know if I see the top upside.

For the risk you are taking you would want a guy who could be Vincent Jackson or better if he hits. I just don't think I see that.

Sounds very reminiscent of Brandin Hardin from 2012:

6'3" 217#; 4.43 40, 1.52 10-split, 4.17 SS, 6.88 3C; 35.5" VJ, 10'4" BJ, 24 BP

Hardin was one of my day 3 binkies, but went 3rd round to the Bears. Unfortunately, he was unable to stay healthy, and hasn't done much. I was hoping the Pats would take a look at him last year after Chicago cut him, but they didn't.

CJ Fiedorowicz is coming for a visit.

Fiedorowicz held his pro day Monday and was worked out by Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes, but will perform private workouts on the Iowa campus Friday for the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans. He has scheduled visits in the coming weeks with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions and New England Patriots, too.

Cowboys among teams set to meet with Iowa's C.J. Fiedorowicz - NFL.com

CJ Fiedorowicz is coming for a visit.
I know he supposed to be unathletic but at the combine he was the 3rd heaviest TE but had the best 3 cone and shuttle time. A lot better than Amaro at the same weight. Many (including Amaro) had better 40 times but CJ's agility times were impressive (Ebron and ASJ didn't run).

I know he supposed to be unathletic but at the combine he was the 3rd heaviest TE but had the best 3 cone and shuttle time. A lot better than Amaro at the same weight. Many (including Amaro) had better 40 times but CJ's agility times were impressive (Ebron and ASJ didn't run).

I like him as a situational guy and backup. Everlong and Mayo call him a jag and I just don't see what they are seeing. He's the best blocking TE in the draft and he's got exceptional hands. The only thing he lacks is downfield speed and general play speed. Inside the 20, he has the potential to be devastating. I think he's what people were hoping Jake Ballard was going to be.

I like him as a situational guy and backup. Everlong and Mayo call him a jag and I just don't see what they are seeing. He's the best blocking TE in the draft and he's got exceptional hands. The only thing he lacks is downfield speed and general play speed. Inside the 20, he has the potential to be devastating. I think he's what people were hoping Jake Ballard was going to be.

He's also got by far the LEAST impressive film of all. The TE prospects. The problems at TE last year were not blocking. If that's the concern they're better off bringing back Matt Mulligan.

He's also got by far the LEAST impressive film of all. The TE prospects. The problems at TE last year were not blocking. If that's the concern they're better off bringing back Matt Mulligan.

The least impressive film compared to whom? Amaro, ASJ, and Niklas? Sure I agree. He's also not going higher than them. But he has the best film of the remaining TEs. And who said that's only a blocker? I also said he has exceptional hands.

The least impressive film compared to whom? Amaro, ASJ, and Niklas? Sure I agree. He's also not going higher than them. But he has the best film of the remaining TEs. And who said that's only a blocker? I also said he has exceptional hands.

Least impressive in terms of the other TE prospects he's often been clustered with, Amaro, ASJ, and Niklas. I think he's hands are pretty good but I don't see him running too much more than shorter routes and one thing with him that really stood out was his lack of YAC. He went down on first contact on almost every catch I've seen. I agree his blocking is tremendous I personally don't believe that that's what we were lacking at TE last year. My overall thought with him is that his strengths, which he definitely has, don't necessarily match up with the Pats need at that position.

So you're discrediting his abilities as a receiver because of poor play calling? You only run the routes you get told to so it depends on the playbook.

So you're discrediting his abilities as a receiver because of poor play calling? You only run the routes you get told to so it depends on the playbook.

Partially yes. I've seen the others we are discussing successful run routes down the field successfully, while with FED its a projection.

Least impressive in terms of the other TE prospects he's often been clustered with, Amaro, ASJ, and Niklas. I think he's hands are pretty good but I don't see him running too much more than shorter routes and one thing with him that really stood out was his lack of YAC. He went down on first contact on almost every catch I've seen. I agree his blocking is tremendous I personally don't believe that that's what we were lacking at TE last year. My overall thought with him is that his strengths, which he definitely has, don't necessarily match up with the Pats need at that position.

I agree he's less impressive than ASJ, Amaro and Niklas. There's also, likely at least one round difference between them and him. It's a question of value. If BB decides that Gronk plus WRs is the way they are going, there might not be great value in taking a first or second round TE. However, if all they are looking for is a TE for two TE sets and to back up Gronk then I think Fiedorowicz fits that very nicely. I said that he was what we were hoping Ballard was going to be last year. I think that is right. And, I think his value in that role is just about right too.

Isn't a situational guy and a backup by definition a JAG? I don't have anything against the patriots drafting him in the 4th round or later. I just don't think you use a top pick on a player like that. Jake Ballard was a UDFA. He is as you say the best blocking TE coming out this year. If they draft him on day 3 I would be happy.

I agree he's less impressive than ASJ, Amaro and Niklas. There's also, likely at least one round difference between them and him. It's a question of value. If BB decides that Gronk plus WRs is the way they are going, there might not be great value in taking a first or second round TE. However, if all they are looking for is a TE for two TE sets and to back up Gronk then I think Fiedorowicz fits that very nicely. I said that he was what we were hoping Ballard was going to be last year. I think that is right. And, I think his value in that role is just about right too.

I don't think what you are saying is wrong but, what I would prefer would be a TE who could offer a bit more in the passing game. I don't think FED is a terrible receiver, I would personally like to see someone who could have more impact threatening the safeties. If we don't get ASJ, Amaro, or Niklas then I would personally like to what until the later rounds and take a more athletic prospect like Logan Thomas. Just my preference.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back