PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 personnel adjustments and critique; Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
BB was right. The Pats got out coached. But they got out swaggered as well. I don’t think the Ravens have more talent as a whole. They just bring it. Swagger comes with confidence. Harrison, Vrabel, Seymour, Law, Bruschi, Moss and Dillon had swagger. The D is still lacking confidence that they can be actually good. Crennel back here would not hurt.

Patriots 2012 “eye ball” grades, problems and solutions:

This is a crap 2013 draft class so Pats should consider trades and FA. Trading into 2014 does not guarantee that is a great class either and now add two more years lost to TBs career. Now is the time Cousins.

QB -Brady gets a B+. Ever since the dude got married, Football is second to family (and it perhaps should be!!!) . It frustrated me to see TB lose concentration like he did many times this year. He has not been the same since Moss left and I think Randy’s play brought the competitive juices out of TB. He seemed to have fun then. I have never seen so many worm balls or over throws by TB. No focus and maybe mental lapses at times. Great year for most OBs. Meh for him. Bad time for a bad game.

Solution:
Pretend it is the 2007 season and flood him with tools to help him win that elusive 4th and 5th SB. He had a tough game Sunday but his receivers did not help.

RB-Backs get a B.
Still not sold on Ridley. I think Bolden might be better. Next year you have Ridley, Bolden, Woodhead, Vareen and Demps. The last three are kind of the same third down pass catching threats.

Solution: We won’t go five RBs. I am for seeing if we can trade Ridley and get the Rams, Giants or the Cards to bite on a high pick. Take that pick and go for a disrupter tough guy on the D line, a big safety or a big WR with our other picks.

WR-C-.Lloyd has been the equivalent of 06/07 Gaffney. No more. Serviceable, but a number 2 guy. Not impressed. Welker adds hair, gets a steady honey and makes her the wife and he loses concentration too. I am starting to think he is a system guy, but that being said he is still tough. Edelman is crystal with loads of wow upon occasion. Tough to hand him Welker’s role when he is in room. Say goodbye to Branch and Stallworth. Probably should have kept Salas as a slot guy. He had promise and was bigger.

Solution: The Draft has “0” Randy Mosses, or Julio Jones. Crappy Draft Cousins! We keep going back to this, but TB does not have three years for a WR to develop. Please don’t preach Draft Draft Draft to me. It is Trade or FA time again. Let’s see; Bowe? Who knows, maybe he “gets it” with another Team and QB that can throw. Mike Wallace? I like the fact he is exactly what TB needs but can he take his game to the next level. ….Trade? How about Percy Harvin? Is he a more athletic Welker but who has injury problems every year. The best option, and one I’d be reaching out to the Cards is for, is Larry Fitzgerald. You can’t ignore him in the red zone (poor 1 of 4 yesterday for the Pats). He frees up Welker and Hernandez and Gronk (when he is not made of glass too). The Cards need bodies and they are starting from scratch once again with no QB. Typical Cards “Rebuidarama”. Maybe they have mercy and let him go for a shot at a ring.

TE-B. Hernandez makes mistakes yet is developing. He is good, not great. Gronk had one super good year and now his history with injuries are raising their ugly head, but healthy he is the best in the NFL. Bonus: Jake Ballard healthy brings a good game. 6’6” and 275 with under 4.5 speed? Maybe he is the answer and another great BB move. Fells was a bust. And Michael Hoomanawanui is a blocker only and a way too long last name.

Solution:
Zack Ertz from Stanford as a move TE and is 6’6” 256 can play in the slot and can block a little. Or there is a beast of an FA TE in Jared Cook. His game dwindled in 2012 but the Titans were an awful team. He has size and speed and when Gronk or Hernadez take their turns going down, this might be the guy. 6’5” , 250lbs and 4.49 speed and also a 41 vertical.

OL-B+. It’s all coaching with Scar. I think Solder will be fine as will Mankins. Wendell is small. Connelly is a try hard journeyman but ok and Vollmer when healthy is decent. Need depth.

Solution:
Marcus Cannon or UDFA Markus Zusevics,could be an answer. Still wait and see. I look at Barrett Jones Alabama as a higher pick in the Draft they might consider, the versatility BB wants for all OL positions, and perhaps TJ Johnson from South Carolina in later rounds who is nasty and can play G or C. He is an attitude guy like Mankins .

P-K-Snapper? B. Nothing special but not bad

DW Toys

Still not sold on Ridley. I think Bolden might be better. I am for seeing if we can trade Ridley
No way. No effing way. And we still have to see what Bolden can do after getting caught with his "Adderall."
Lloyd has been the equivalent of 06/07 Gaffney. No more. Serviceable, but a number 2 guy. Not impressed.
Gaffney in his two best seasons with the Pats combined: 917 yards
Lloyd in his one season with the Pats: 911 yards
Hernandez makes mistakes yet is developing. He is good, not great.
He also just played the entire season with a fluke injury that completely destroyed his ability to cut and accelerate off the line.
Bonus: Jake Ballard healthy brings a good game. 6’6” and 275 with under 4.5 speed?
Don't know where you're getting that 4.5. It never happened.
Vollmer when healthy is decent.
If by decent you mean the best RT in the NFL, then yes.

Re: 2013 personnel adjustments and critique; Offenseh

Offer the Cards a number 1 this year, to see if that is enough for Fitzy, if not, throw in a high future pick with it. This team doesn't need a lot, a stud veteran WR And red zone option and a hammer at safety, that's all I'm asking for. Trading for Fitzy would allow us to let Welker walk. Fitzy, Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez and Edelman would be absolutely lethal. Spend the second rounder this year on a big, physical safety, even if that requires a trade up.

isnt fitzgerald like 12 million a year at least his deal was 8 years and over 100 million

Re: 2013 personnel adjustments and critique; Offenseh

Offer the Cards a number 1 this year, to see if that is enough for Fitzy, if not, throw in a high future pick with it. This team doesn't need a lot, a stud veteran WR And red zone option and a hammer at safety, that's all I'm asking for. Trading for Fitzy would allow us to let Welker walk. Fitzy, Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez and Edelman would be absolutely lethal. Spend the second rounder this year on a big, physical safety, even if that requires a trade up.

Exactly, I would love to keep Welker as well, but his 2013 Franchise number is around $11m. Second round Safety is the way to go. Some good Safeties in this class at least.
I concur with your thoughts.
DW Toys

No way. No effing way. And we still have to see what Bolden can do after getting caught with his "Adderall."
Gaffney in his two best seasons with the Pats combined: 917 yards
Lloyd in his one season with the Pats: 911 yards
He also just played the entire season with a fluke injury that completely destroyed his ability to cut and accelerate off the line.
Don't know where you're getting that 4.5. It never happened.
If by decent you mean the best RT in the NFL, then yes.

Probably a misprint. Certainly a contradiction. I think he ran a 4.76 still not too bad.

Hey, I do not know, This is what PSE said.
"At 6’6″ and 275 pounds, Ballard is one of the biggest tight ends in the league. In 2010, he got picked up as a un-drafted free agent by the New York Giants. The thing that Ballard lacks is his speed. During the combine, he ran a 4.41 in the 40 yard dash. The Patriots now own Ballard’s rights, and inherit his one-year, $540,000 contract. In his second year with the Giants, Ballard had 38 receptions for 604 yards, and four touchdowns in 14 games of play".
I stand corrected for them if that is the case.

DW Toys

isnt fitzgerald like 12 million a year at least his deal was 8 years and over 100 million

Yeah, but DW never sweats the details. He only surfaces these days when we fail to win it all and he can attempt to preach his building via trade and FA to a malcontent audience of potential kneejerk cousins.

Larry is just entering the third year of that 8 year deal that totalled $128.5M. Or just over $16M per on average with $50M guaranteed roughly $20M of which remains to be paid. That is why I personally found it so annoying when people would claim Welker wanted to be paid like Fitz... He'd have settled happily for half of what Larry got for half as many years with less than half as much guaranteed...

8/20/2011: Signed an eight-year, $128.5 million contract. The deal contains $50 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $8 million. Fitzgerald is eligible for annual $250,000 workout bonuses in years two through eight. 2013: $5 million (+ $10 million option bonus due 3/15), 2014: $12.75 million, 2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2016: $15 million, 2017-2018: $14.75 million, 2019: Free Agent at age 37.

BB was right. The Pats got out coached. But they got out swaggered as well. I don’t think the Ravens have more talent as a whole. They just bring it. Swagger comes with confidence. Harrison, Vrabel, Seymour, Law, Bruschi, Moss and Dillon had swagger. The D is still lacking confidence that they can be actually good. Crennel back here would not hurt.

Patriots 2012 “eye ball” grades, problems and solutions:

This is a crap 2013 draft class so Pats should consider trades and FA. Trading into 2014 does not guarantee that is a great class either and now add two more years lost to TBs career. Now is the time Cousins.

QB -Brady gets a B+. Ever since the dude got married, Football is second to family (and it perhaps should be!!!) . It frustrated me to see TB lose concentration like he did many times this year. He has not been the same since Moss left and I think Randy’s play brought the competitive juices out of TB. He seemed to have fun then. I have never seen so many worm balls or over throws by TB. No focus and maybe mental lapses at times. Great year for most OBs. Meh for him. Bad time for a bad game.

Solution:
Pretend it is the 2007 season and flood him with tools to help him win that elusive 4th and 5th SB. He had a tough game Sunday but his receivers did not help.

RB-Backs get a B.
Still not sold on Ridley. I think Bolden might be better. Next year you have Ridley, Bolden, Woodhead, Vareen and Demps. The last three are kind of the same third down pass catching threats.

Solution: We won’t go five RBs. I am for seeing if we can trade Ridley and get the Rams, Giants or the Cards to bite on a high pick. Take that pick and go for a disrupter tough guy on the D line, a big safety or a big WR with our other picks.

WR-C-.Lloyd has been the equivalent of 06/07 Gaffney. No more. Serviceable, but a number 2 guy. Not impressed. Welker adds hair, gets a steady honey and makes her the wife and he loses concentration too. I am starting to think he is a system guy, but that being said he is still tough. Edelman is crystal with loads of wow upon occasion. Tough to hand him Welker’s role when he is in room. Say goodbye to Branch and Stallworth. Probably should have kept Salas as a slot guy. He had promise and was bigger.

Solution: The Draft has “0” Randy Mosses, or Julio Jones. Crappy Draft Cousins! We keep going back to this, but TB does not have three years for a WR to develop. Please don’t preach Draft Draft Draft to me. It is Trade or FA time again. Let’s see; Bowe? Who knows, maybe he “gets it” with another Team and QB that can throw. Mike Wallace? I like the fact he is exactly what TB needs but can he take his game to the next level. ….Trade? How about Percy Harvin? Is he a more athletic Welker but who has injury problems every year. The best option, and one I’d be reaching out to the Cards is for, is Larry Fitzgerald. You can’t ignore him in the red zone (poor 1 of 4 yesterday for the Pats). He frees up Welker and Hernandez and Gronk (when he is not made of glass too). The Cards need bodies and they are starting from scratch once again with no QB. Typical Cards “Rebuidarama”. Maybe they have mercy and let him go for a shot at a ring.

TE-B. Hernandez makes mistakes yet is developing. He is good, not great. Gronk had one super good year and now his history with injuries are raising their ugly head, but healthy he is the best in the NFL. Bonus: Jake Ballard healthy brings a good game. 6’6” and 275 with under 4.5 speed? Maybe he is the answer and another great BB move. Fells was a bust. And Michael Hoomanawanui is a blocker only and a way too long last name.

Solution:
Zack Ertz from Stanford as a move TE and is 6’6” 256 can play in the slot and can block a little. Or there is a beast of an FA TE in Jared Cook. His game dwindled in 2012 but the Titans were an awful team. He has size and speed and when Gronk or Hernadez take their turns going down, this might be the guy. 6’5” , 250lbs and 4.49 speed and also a 41 vertical.

OL-B+. It’s all coaching with Scar. I think Solder will be fine as will Mankins. Wendell is small. Connelly is a try hard journeyman but ok and Vollmer when healthy is decent. Need depth.

Solution:
Marcus Cannon or UDFA Markus Zusevics,could be an answer. Still wait and see. I look at Barrett Jones Alabama as a higher pick in the Draft they might consider, the versatility BB wants for all OL positions, and perhaps TJ Johnson from South Carolina in later rounds who is nasty and can play G or C. He is an attitude guy like Mankins .

P-K-Snapper? B. Nothing special but not bad

DW Toys

Ballard runs a 4.80 40 time and that was prior to destroying his knee.

You must of only saw the Bills game this year because that's the only way you'd take to a public forum and suggest Bolden is better than Ridley.

Overall I'm not sure about anything you've written it all seems off IMO.

Yeah, but DW never sweats the details. He only surfaces these days when we fail to win it all and he can attempt to preach his building via trade and FA to a malcontent audience of potential kneejerk cousins.

Larry is just entering the third year of that 8 year deal that totalled $128.5M. Or just over $16M per on average with $50M guaranteed roughly $20M of which remains to be paid. That is why I personally found it so annoying when people would claim Welker wanted to be paid like Fitz... He'd have settled happily for half of what Larry got for half as many years with less than half as much guaranteed...

ahh so fitzgerald has a baseball player contract for football i mean that wont affect our cap space negatively or anything id love to have him but not even close to that price

ahh so fitzgerald has a baseball player contract for football i mean that wont affect our cap space negatively or anything id love to have him but not even close to that price

Cousin, I never claimed that Welker wanted to be paid like Fitz. I never said that.
The premise is that although I like Welker and would want to keep him too, with his CAP nearing $11+this year would you pay the difference for Fitz? Yes or no?
DW Toys

Mo, It's been awhile. I have not had to say much. I never said pay Welker Fitz money.

Riddle me. What do you see as the best coarse for WR? Lloyd is a number 2 only. Welker is a FA unless you step up and pay him almost $12m. Edelman is a FA. Branch might be done as so with Stalworth.

You are a smart person. I have been true to what I have said for many years including the 2007 season. By the way not a bad season for Trades and FA. We won more games in a season than any other year in the history of the Pats including the SB years (of course that is better) I am consistent. Is that a fair statement?

Would you pay $3m-$4m a year more for Fitz? Do you go for Bowe? Do you go for Wallace? I left options.

I am making an observation TB can't wait out WR to develop fully (about 3 years) and when was our last home grown drafted WR difference maker? Branch 11 years ago?

I am preaching the same gibberish I have been I guess. TB still needs some WR HELP, Do you see a Draft at all costs WR in this coming Draft class? Nope. I don't either.

The ball is in your court. Mo, Do we stay pat with what we have now? (I think Welker is superb by the way. Toughest guy per LB in the league), or is there a possibility of an upgrade? (still keep Welker I hope)

Yep you are right I advocate Trades and FA signings. I had more fun watching that 2007 year than any after that. One fluke reception on a play that should have been called dead.

It was painful how the Jets stopped us with no wide threat. How the Giants could slow down our WR and a combination bad QB and WR game this weekend with drops and off target passes but then no one was open is some of the reason.

If you think I am dead wrong I am sure you will say so.
DW Toys

Probably a misprint. Certainly a contradiction. I think he ran a 4.76 still not too bad.

Hey, I do not know, This is what PSE said.
"At 6’6″ and 275 pounds, Ballard is one of the biggest tight ends in the league. In 2010, he got picked up as a un-drafted free agent by the New York Giants. The thing that Ballard lacks is his speed. During the combine, he ran a 4.41 in the 40 yard dash. The Patriots now own Ballard’s rights, and inherit his one-year, $540,000 contract. In his second year with the Giants, Ballard had 38 receptions for 604 yards, and four touchdowns in 14 games of play".
I stand corrected for them if that is the case.

DW Toys

There is no way Ballard runs a 4.41. That's faster than Shane Vereen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3