PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Mock Draft Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna think this pick through a bit with lunch but the Pats will make this selection super soon.

I like the selection of Barnes, though I never have had the chance to see him play. From the write ups, he has a "Koppen-esque" quality.

OK the Jets now have Bart Scott's eventual replacement.

natesuplex.gif

At the Half:

#12 Tyron Smith OT USC

#43 Andy Dalton QB TCU

#106 Mark Herzlich OLB BC

Summary:

Thanks to a a trade gone bad; being a Moss one month rental that got Childress fired (something good came of the trade :D ) the Vikings were left with no 3rd round pick.

With pick #12, the Vikings get the best OL in the draft IMO. With Amukamara and Peterson gone, I felt he was the best pick here. I'm not a fan of the first 3 QBs because they each have big bust potential IMO. (Gabbert=pocket presence, Newton=obvious, Locker=accuracy)

At pick #43 I get my QB binky Andy Dalton. I like his intangibles, mechanics, accuracy, etc. and his weaknesses are less than the others. (Height, no cannon arm like the others, adjust to NFL offense)

At pick #106 I take a risk with the local BC Mark Herzlich. Great intangibles and was a beast before the cancer. Hopefully he can become the player he used to be.

Last edited:
Gonna think this pick through a bit with lunch but the Pats will make this selection super soon.

This is the first selection that I have disagreed with you ... and its the player selected rather than the position! I like the idea of three O lineman.

There were at least three players I would have taken before Barnes ... just don't feel he is a 4th round selection.

Overall I think Irish Hooligan is right on the money!

This is the first selection that I have disagreed with you ... and its the player selected rather than the position! I like the idea of three O lineman.

There were at least three players I would have taken before Barnes ... just don't feel he is a 4th round selection.

Overall I think Irish Hooligan is right on the money!

Much appreciated, this draft has been crazy in that I feel a lot of guys have gone way too early and it has depleted certain positions, I will admit that I have more of a focus on need than bpa. I am approaching it with the idea that our roster is talented and young and we can afford to develop a Barnes ..... I have an idea of the players you speak of and I went back and forth on a couple of guys. (That sounded bad)

Atlanta halfway through:

27. Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida
59. Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
91. Allen Bailey, DE, Miami
124. DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas

I like the guys I picked, although in retrospect, I wonder if I let my Gator bias talk me into Pouncey instead of Wilkerson, who might be a bigger need. Still, OL is a need for the Falcons, and I like that I've managed to protect Matt Ryan in this draft, and give him the deep threat he needs. DJ Williams serves as the understudy to Tony Gonzalez.

I guess I should post a summary also:

17. A. Smith OLB
28. M. Wilkerson DE
33. D. Watkins G
60. S. Vereen RB
74. E. Gates WR
92. D. Mims OT
125. T. Barnes C

I seriously struggled with pick 17, Ingram is my Binky and I considered Costonzo also. Wilkerson is by far my favorite pick, and I think the value at 28 and 33 are solid.

The Packers getting Casey Matthews is awesome.

We actually finished 4 rounds! Good job!

Houston:
Round 1. Ryan Kerrigan OLB.
Round 2. Stephen Paea DT.
Round 3. Davon House CB.
Round 4. Robert Sands S.

I think their defense has been signficantly revamped! And it needs to be considering they are in the same division as the Colts. With this new infusion of talent, can the Texans finally take the AFC South Crown from Indy? With the Colts on the decline, the answer is a resounding... MAYBE. Colts still have the edge at QB with Manning but unless he gets a lot of help the Colts could be the ones falling behind this year. :)

Last edited:
Through 4 rounds, the Titans have had 5 picks:

1st: Robert Quinn - DE
2nd: Phil Taylor - DT
3rd: Quan Sturdivant - MLB
4th (a): Greg McElroy - QB
4th (b): Richard Sherman - CB/S

I've hit all the need positions. The only only who was a "reach" would be Sherman, whom I believe is under-rated. He'd played very well for Stanford. At 6'3 and 195, he lined up at CB during the Senior Bowl and didn't look out of place at all. He was very polished in his technique. I can easily see him as a FS for the Titans (or anyone for that matter).

The Packers getting Casey Matthews is awesome.

When I noticed he was still on the board I thought he would look good playing with his brother the Matthews bloodlines are good.

I would like to ask any GM that is not selecting for 2 or more teams would you be interested in taking San Diego or Detroit? When we get going again this upcoming weekend I would like to keep the draft flowing and leave no teams without a GM.

Well I can't make the pick for Carolina since I'm drafting 3 spots later, but I would say they very much need a DT.

Whoever doesn't have a pick within the next 5 selections and would like to take on this selection to start the 5th round by all means do so.

Well I can't make the pick for Carolina since I'm drafting 3 spots later, but I would say they very much need a DT.

Whoever doesn't have a pick within the next 5 selections and would like to take on this selection to start the 5th round by all means do so.

Sorry about that, was busy.. checked my email only 5 minutes prior to my pick only to find a new PM. :bricks:

Arizona Cardinals halfway through:

Round 1, Pick 5 (5) - Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
Round 2, Pick 6 (38) - Ben Ijalana OT Villanova
Round 3, Pick 5 (69) - Drake Nevis DT LSU
Round 4, Pick 6 (103) - Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State

Blaine Gabbert-This pick will either go Gabbert or Miller in the real draft. I chose Gabbert because it's a position that can help other positions. Frankly if the Cardinals don't come out with a QB this draft they will probably lose half their fan base.
Ben Ijalana- Ijalana was a slight reach here. There was a run on OL in the end of the first round, and in retrospect I should have taken a OLB. I didn't realize everyone on this board is infatuated with OLBs and would take all the good ones in round 2 :)
Drake Nevis- Again, I really wanted a OLB here, but I went with value instead. Nevis can contribute right away, and he still hasn't peaked. He has a knack for getting to the QB which may help offset the fact I didn't get a pass rusher yet. He should outperform his draft value for whatever team drafts him.
Chimdi Chekwa- Chekwa was a value and need pick. His draft stock dropped due to an wrist injury, but he has the experience and athletic ability to be a starter in this league.

After 4 round I noticed that a lot of players were getting overdrafted that are need picks for the Patriots (surprise) For example OLB/DE and OL. Along with QB. Next time I'm taking a team that has the opposite needs as the Patriots :)

As far as rating my draft I would say I am doing good but not great. If Gabbert does well in this league then it would make it even better. Hopefully I can hit some home runs in the second half.

Last edited:
Arizona Cardinals halfway through:

Round 1, Pick 5 (5) - Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
Round 2, Pick 6 (38) - Ben Ijalana OT Villanova
Round 3, Pick 5 (69) - Drake Nevis DT LSU
Round 4, Pick 6 (103) - Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State

Blaine Gabbert-This pick will either go Gabbert or Miller in the real draft. I chose Gabbert because it's a position that can help other positions. Frankly if the Cardinals don't come out with a QB this draft they will probably lose half their fan base.
Ben Ijalana- Ijalana was a slight reach here. There was a run on OL in the end of the first round, and in retrospect I should have taken a OLB. I didn't realize everyone on this board is infatuated with OLBs and would take all the good ones in round 2 :)
Drake Nevis- Again, I really wanted a OLB here, but I went with value instead. Nevis can contribute right away, and he still hasn't peaked. He has a knack for getting to the QB which may help offset the fact I didn't get a pass rusher yet. He should outperform his draft value for whatever team drafts him.
Chimdi Chekwa- Chekwa was a value and need pick. His draft stock dropped due to an wrist injury, but he has the experience and athletic ability to be a starter in this league.

After 4 round I noticed that a lot of players were getting overdrafted that are need picks for the Patriots (surprise) For example OLB/DE and OL. Along with QB. Next time I'm taking a team that has the opposite needs as the Patriots :)

As far as rating my draft I would say I am doing good but not great. If Gabbert does well in this league then it would make it even better. Hopefully I can hit some home runs in the second half.

you're up ;)

Amen to that Whiza

I would like to ask any GM that is not selecting for 2 or more teams would you be interested in taking San Diego or Detroit? When we get going again this upcoming weekend I would like to keep the draft flowing and leave no teams without a GM.

Gator Mike is the new GM for Detroit and Bakes781 and I will select for San Diego.

Sorry for taking to the last minute to pick. I just got back on my PC

I really got a steal with Lance Kendricks. He's a lot like Aaron Herandez in the passing game, but a better blocker. He quickly upgrades Arizona's subpar TE group and give another weapon for Gabbert.

I thought I had Washington as well but it doesn't make any difference to me. I can do 2-3 teams no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST