PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 NFL MVP Debate (merged several times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vick Stirs Debate in the M.V.P. Vote

If "value to the team" were the most important factor, then Cassell would be the MVP.

an argument can be made for either one, Vick provides so much for his team and so does Brady. Vick also has a handful of explosive play makers to utilize as well as a good defense. Brady has a young defense to work with and not as many explosive play makers if any. I wouldn't have any problem giving it to Vick though.

where do you vote for mvp

The media is in love with Vick this year and it pretty much makes me sick. They seem to view his return from incarceration as a comeback equivalent to fighting off a deadly disease or rehabilitating a possibly career-ending injury. All I know is if I had committed a felony, my previous employer would not have welcomed me back with open arms. But that's the NFL for you.

Vick should not get [ the comeback player of the year] award. He played last year, but he was invisible because he didn't do much (which is why I guess people don't realize that he's not eligible for this award).

Eligibility is not restricted by any such measure. Its about overcoming adversity.

The media is in love with Vick this year and it pretty much makes me sick. They seem to view his return from incarceration as a comeback equivalent to fighting off a deadly disease or rehabilitating a possibly career-ending injury. All I know is if I had committed a felony, my previous employer would not have welcomed me back with open arms. But that's the NFL for you.

What Vick over came to get to where he is today has nothing to do with the MVP award. He had to over come a bunch of stuff because he made bad choices.If he is or isn't mvp depends only on what he has done on the football field not what he did or didn't do off of it. Brady should win.Not even close. Thing is Brady only wants to win a Super Bowl. History says Mvp's do not win Super Bowls. The last one was in 1999.

If I had a vote it would be for Moats. Although I am so sure after this week.

Last edited:

Who is more versatile? It would be infinitely easier for Vick to adjust and play more like Brady than it would for Brady to adjust and be more like Vick.

This is all you have to read to understand how worthless this article is. The idea that Vick could read and direct an offense in the same way that Brady does is ludicrous. Vick would be totally lost in this offense and would be the equivalent of Brady running around on the field as a running back.

I love watching Vick. The things he has done this year are truly extraordinary. Brady's play this year has also been incredible.

Both Brady and Vick deserve MVP. I suspect Vick will win due to the whole "from out of nowhere" nature of his play. Fine with me. He deserves it.

I love watching Vick. The things he has done this year are truly extraordinary. Brady's play this year has also been incredible.

Both Brady and Vick deserve MVP. I suspect Vick will win due to the whole "from out of nowhere" nature of his play. Fine with me. He deserves it.

I'll say it again because I agree with **** LeBeau. What Brady did last week was Brady being much better than any Brady of the past. He played out of his head, as good as he's been. It was one for the ages. Peyton Manning has never ever had a game like that. LeBeau was right.

I will say this. If Vick has another one or two games like last weekend, he will win it.

If he plays normally, Brady will win it.

So let's say the Eagles and Pats both win their next two games. Vick goes 40-65, 575 yds, 3 td, 1 int, and rushes for 150 more yds and 2 td. Brady goes 49-70, 650 yds, 6 td. That would put their final stat lines like this:

Vick: 248-394 (62.9%), 3330 yds, 23 td, 6 int, 763 rush yds, 10 td, 9 fum
- TOTAL PRODUCTION: 4093 total yds, 33 td, 15 turnovers
Brady: 348-519 (67.0%), 4211 yds, 37 td, 4 int, 17 rush yds, 1 td, 3 fum
- TOTAL PRODUCTION: 4228 yds, 38 td, 7 turnovers

Close, but Brady has the edge. And NE would be 14-2 with the #1 seed in the AFC, while Philly would be 12-4 and the #2 seed in the NFC.

Bottom line: Vick has done some amazing things, but Brady still has the edge. But two things:

(1) Would it shock *anyone* here if Brady didn't get the MVP? As someone else has said, if Brady was Manning, this wouldn't even be a discussion right now.

(2) The line Brady could put up would represent one of the three greatest QB seasons in NFL history. In my mind, it would be surpassed only by Manning's 2004 and Brady's 2007 seasons. Plus, he would have led a relatively unheralded team to a 14-2 record, best in the league. Now, it's almost impossible to fathom a QB having that kind of year and *not* winning the MVP. And yet that very thing could happen this year.

Unbelievable.

So let's say the Eagles and Pats both win their next two games. Vick goes 40-65, 575 yds, 3 td, 1 int, and rushes for 150 more yds and 2 td. Brady goes 49-70, 650 yds, 6 td. That would put their final stat lines like this:

Vick: 248-394 (62.9%), 3330 yds, 23 td, 6 int, 763 rush yds, 10 td, 9 fum
- TOTAL PRODUCTION: 4093 total yds, 33 td, 15 turnovers
Brady: 348-519 (67.0%), 4211 yds, 37 td, 4 int, 17 rush yds, 1 td, 3 fum
- TOTAL PRODUCTION: 4228 yds, 38 td, 7 turnovers

Close, but Brady has the edge. And NE would be 14-2 with the #1 seed in the AFC, while Philly would be 12-4 and the #2 seed in the NFC.

Bottom line: Vick has done some amazing things, but Brady still has the edge. But two things:

(1) Would it shock *anyone* here if Brady didn't get the MVP? As someone else has said, if Brady was Manning, this wouldn't even be a discussion right now.

(2) The line Brady could put up would represent one of the three greatest QB seasons in NFL history. In my mind, it would be surpassed only by Manning's 2004 and Brady's 2007 seasons. Plus, he would have led a relatively unheralded team to a 14-2 record, best in the league. Now, it's almost impossible to fathom a QB having that kind of year and *not* winning the MVP. And yet that very thing could happen this year.

Unbelievable.

I hear ya. Brady should win it by all accounts.

The problem is that this is a forgiving country that gets caught up in the moment and loves a great comeback story.

I understand the support for Vick's MVP candidacy, but if Manning were in the same position as Brady in this race, Manning's victory would be sealed and delivered already.

This is very true... manning is still being mentioned in the MVP race... it is so annoying.

I really want brady to win it... but the superbowl is my goal

This is very true... manning is still being mentioned in the MVP race... it is so annoying.

I really want brady to win it... but the superbowl is my goal

I would prefer the Pats to win the SB over Brady winning the MVP, obviously. And I think Brady would clearly prefer that as well. But I do think the "who is the greatest QB of all time" question matters - at least to us fans, if not to Brady himself. And more MVP awards certainly helps Brady's case (as it would for any QB).

Some of these comments made me think about that hackneyed "debate" on BSPN last night before the game about the MVP race. Tom Jackson got to debate Brady's side and Keyshawn got to argue Vick's case. You could tell that Keyshawn didn't believe what he was talking about. I'd guess that segment lasted about 45 seconds.

It's not a real debate, just something to talk about.

Eligibility is not restricted by any such measure. Its about overcoming adversity.

In Vick's case, it's about overcoming a lackluster season. He lost weight. I guess that's good. :confused2:

Look, I was all for federal prison, and I believe he's paid his debt to society. If he wants to get back up and try to do something, then good on him. I wish him success in his endeavors, but let's not blow this thing out of proportion. The adversity WAS of his own making, and he's had two seasons to "come back" from it. Even using your criteria, I think Welker's comeback is more impressive, but I don't vote so what do I know?

my problem with rhoden is, the elephant in the room is if brady were african american.....

You've got your toe in the water......Rhoden has a decades-long history of racially-tinged articles at the NYT.....Both in the Political and Sport arenas.He looks through a black-centric prism,so it is no surprise that this radical "journalist",would take this oppurtunity to espouse his racism.

In Rhoden's eye this isn't Vick vs Brady,it's Rhoden vs a caucasian candidate.

I'm 60 yrs old and I've been reading this guy's hate-filled articles for a long time and will debate this issue with anyone.

Some of these comments made me think about that hackneyed "debate" on BSPN last night before the game about the MVP race. Tom Jackson got to debate Brady's side and Keyshawn got to argue Vick's case. You could tell that Keyshawn didn't believe what he was talking about. I'd guess that segment lasted about 45 seconds.

It's not a real debate, just something to talk about.

In Vick's case, it's about overcoming a lackluster season. He lost weight. I guess that's good. :confused2:

Look, I was all for federal prison, and I believe he's paid his debt to society. If he wants to get back up and try to do something, then good on him. I wish him success in his endeavors, but let's not blow this thing out of proportion. The adversity WAS of his own making, and he's had two seasons to "come back" from it. Even using your criteria, I think Welker's comeback is more impressive, but I don't vote so what do I know?

Exactly. Welker's comeback was extradordinary; what he accomplished took extreme mental toughness, dedication,and love of the game. JMO, we all love redemption but what kinds of qualities should the NFL be celebrating anyway?
Vick's definitely helped his team but I can think of a few players I'd vote for before Vick, he'd be maybe 3rdish on my list.

I dont forgive vick..I dont care what people say. He is a pile of poop and if you watch his interviews today, you can tell just by looking at him that he feels no remorse for what he did. i dont care about this "paying debt" crap..if he molested a child and then some how got out, no one NO ONE would forgive him..and I know some people will say that a dog is not a child, but if he came personally to your house and killed your dog, I dont think you'd be on vicks we we at all...I honestly hope that man fails in life. I want nothing but the worst for him. If the does make it to the superbowl and plays the pats, it will be great because BB will design a plan that will shut him down so fast it wont be even be funny..and hopefully as soon as he steps on the field he some one lays him out of the nfl for good.

MVP? **** that.

I dont forgive vick..I dont care what people say. He is a pile of poop and if you watch his interviews today, you can tell just by looking at him that he feels no remorse for what he did. i dont care about this "paying debt" crap..if he molested a child and then some how got out, no one NO ONE would forgive him..and I know some people will say that a dog is not a child, but if he came personally to your house and killed your dog, I dont think you'd be on vicks we we at all...I honestly hope that man fails in life. I want nothing but the worst for him. If the does make it to the superbowl and plays the pats, it will be great because BB will design a plan that will shut him down so fast it wont be even be funny..and hopefully as soon as he steps on the field he some one lays him out of the nfl for good.

MVP? **** that.

You need to know where he is coming from? rich or poor family?
What kind of education he had?
There are too many factors that make you an honest citizen.
And also, the man did time in jail for his crime.

Last edited:

Question

I thought of starting a separate thread for this, but maybe I can get the answer here.

Who, exactly, are the 50 "AP" MVP voters? Which cities, papers, reporters?

It would certainly help me as I try to figure out how the voting might go.

Question

I thought of starting a separate thread for this, but maybe I can get the answer here.

Who, exactly, are the 50 "AP" MVP voters? Which cities, papers, reporters?

It would certainly help me as I try to figure out how the voting might go.

The National Football League Most Valuable Player Award (NFL MVP) is given by various entities, most notably the Associated Press

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Most_Valuable_Player_Award

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft