PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 off-season thread

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
That one hurt.

Though as a fan I couldn't admit it, the game was over after Drew failed to check his swing and left 3 men on base.

It fits the theme of the game by the offense. Horrible execution be it the Crisp slide, the hit and run with Ortiz swinging at ball 4, the Kotsay/Varitek experience, Pedroia swinging wrong at a hit he could have destroyed, Crisp and Cora being unable to lay down bunts all around.

Last edited:
That one hurt.

Though as a fan I couldn't admit it, the game was over after Drew failed to check his swing and left 3 men on base.

It fits the theme of the game by the offense. Horrible execution be it the Crisp slide, the hit and run with Ortiz swinging at ball 4, the Kotsay/Varitek experience, Pedroia swinging wrong at a hit he could have destroyed, Crisp and Cora being unable to lay down bunts all around.

I just got off the phone with my brother. As he said, seeing as the Sox really shouldn't have been playing tonight in the first place, it's kinda hard to get too upset. Yeah, it sucks, but the Sox weren't/aren't/won't win every Series. [Although, IMO, Crisp gets my Goat of the Game award--WTF was he thinking?]

Yeah, there are some big question marks headed into 2009, but I think our Sox have a lot fewer ones than most teams, and they've got a lot of guys waiting in the wings who might contribute in the next few years. [That last sentence really makes me wish the NFL had a minor league-type system. . . .]

Last edited:
For the love of all that is holy.. I don't ever want to see Timlin warm up in the Sox bullpen ever again.

For the love of all that is holy.. I don't ever want to see Timlin warm up in the Sox bullpen ever again.

True, but would you want to be the guy that tells Timlin he ain't pitchin' in Boston anymore?

The Red Sox need to prioritize replacing Veritek ASAP.

Let me introduce you to their target:

Taylor Teagarden:

KFFL - Taylor Teagarden, C, Texas Rangers

Scouting Book: The Best Baseball Prospects for 2008-2009 (Sleepers Too!)

The #2 overall catching prospect according to scoutingbook.com.

He also had 6 HRs in his first 12 games.
Why would the Rangers be willing to deal him?
They've got a huge logjam at catcher!

Rangers | Team has depth at catcher
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:13:48 -0700

The Dallas Morning News' Evan Grant writes the Texas Rangers head into the offseason with four catchers vying for two jobs, those being C Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C Gerald Laird, C Taylor Teagarden and C Max Ramirez. The team might be able to trade one or two of those players to help acquire more pitching.

His minor league numbers are rather blah of late, but check out the start of his career in the bigs.

Taylor Teagarden Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

Trade for him now while he's still ranked behind Salty on the depth chart!

True, but would you want to be the guy that tells Timlin he ain't pitchin' in Boston anymore?

What is he going to do? Throw a Bible at you? Challenge you to finish before his wife in a marathon?

seeing as the Sox really shouldn't have been playing tonight in the first place, it's kinda hard to get too upset.

I still feel horrible today.

It's amazing we even took it to game 7, but the fact that we did led me to have no doubt that'd we'd be playing more baseball this week.

Leaving the bases loaded with no runs to show for it in the 8th inning of a ALCS game 7 hurts, and will always hurt - regardless of how you got to the game.

A lot of people have been able to deal with this loss a little easier with 2 recent World Series, still stings for me though.

I just got off the phone with my brother. As he said, seeing as the Sox really shouldn't have been playing tonight in the first place, it's kinda hard to get too upset. Yeah, it sucks, but the Sox weren't/aren't/won't win every Series. [Although, IMO, Crisp gets my Goat of the Game award--WTF was he thinking?]

Yeah, there are some big question marks headed into 2009, but I think our Sox have a lot fewer ones than most teams, and they've got a lot of guys waiting in the wings who might contribute in the next few years. [That last sentence really makes me wish the NFL had a minor league-type system. . . .]

Good post, CT. We've got a solid young base, and just need to replace a few aging players, especially Timlin, Wake & Tek. Most teams have far greater holes to fill than the Sox.

I have faith in the team's management to address and correct the team's weaknesses.. The Sox will be back, stronger than ever in '09.

Also have to wonder how much longer the Sox can count on Lowell; he'll be 35 before spring training starts. And if they decide to get younger do the Sox go after a power hitting 1B and move Youk to 3rd?

Here's some Lowell trivia: he was drafted by the Yankess, but they traded him for three players, who combined to play all of 16 games in the major leagues, and just seven games (twenty innings) for the Yankees.

Also have to wonder how much longer the Sox can count on Lowell; he'll be 35 before spring training starts. And if they decide to get younger do the Sox go after a power hitting 1B and move Youk to 3rd?

Here's some Lowell trivia: he was drafted by the Yankess, but they traded him for three players, who combined to play all of 16 games in the major leagues, and just seven games (twenty innings) for the Yankees.

That's up there with getting Derek Lowe and V-TEK for Heathcliff Slocum. :rofl:

Good post, CT. We've got a solid young base, and just need to replace a few aging players, especially Timlin, Wake & Tek. Most teams have far greater holes to fill than the Sox.

I have faith in the team's management to address and correct the team's weaknesses.. The Sox will be back, stronger than ever in '09.

Heck, "healthier than '08" should be a scary enough proposition for the rest of the AL. :D

I wouldnt mind this team going after Texeira.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back