PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 NFL Mock Draft Game: Discussion/Vote Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you understand the difference between the 3-4 and the 4-3? The Titans run a 4-3. Means they need 2 DTs and 2 DEs. Not just ONE DT. They only have 3 DTs on the roster. Not 4. So they need another one both for the short term and long term.

Javon Haye is a DE, not a DT. Tony Brown is in the last year of his contract with the Titans.

At WR, the Titans have Nate Washington added to Justin Gage, Chris Davis, Lavelle Hawkins, Craphonso Thorpe and Paul Williams. Hawkins and Thorpe were just drafted last year.

When I look at Rob Brace compared to the WRs that were there and the CBs, I see Brace has having a higher over-all value.

First of all I do understand the differences between the 3-4 and the 4-3, and I never said DT was not a need, if you thought Brace was the bpa thats fine, but dont give me those WR names as they were HOF, Washington was the 3rd reciever of the steelers, Gage have never caught more than 750 yrds and the other ones are unproven.

First of all I do understand the differences between the 3-4 and the 4-3, and I never said DT was not a need, if you thought Brace was the bpa thats fine, but dont give me those WR names as they were HOF, Washington was the 3rd reciever of the steelers, Gage have never caught more than 750 yrds and the other ones are unproven.

dont mind dabruinz. he feels it necessary to criticize anyone who he thinks does not "bring something to the table."

Listen, you can be a jackarse on someone else's time. Don't be one on mine. I never said or even implied that the WRs were HOF quality. That's just you being a total ****. Washington may have been the 3rd WR on the Steelers, but he'll be the #2 on the Titans. As for others like Hawkins and Davis, they are guys that the Titans are counting on to step up. Are they unproven? Yes. But that doesn't make them worthless, like you'd imply. You also can't just look at the numbers. You have to put them in context. First and foremost, the Titans are a run first team with Johnson, White, and Henry leading the way. They also have Crumpler and Scaife at the TE spots.

As for you knowing the difference between the 4-3 and 3-4, you sure as hell don't come across like you do because after you mention them drafting Jones, you mention them signing Haye. Haye is a 4-3 DE. Not a 4-3 DT like Haynesworth. The Titans need 4 DTs in rotation. Also, having someone to potentially replace Brown next year was another item that you just glossed over as uninmportant.

So, instead of pretending like you know the Titans better than I do and trying to show me up and being unknowledgable, why don't you stop for a second and open your eyes and see that there is more that was considered than you offered up. Significantly more.

2.8ypc says high.

Did you miss the part that says "perfect 1-2 combo" as well? Hightower is a good short yardage and goalline back.

Hightower was also a 4th round pick who can not be relied on to carry the entire workload as James is on the downslide and wont be running against tired defenses that have played 16 games already.

Why can't a 4th round pick be relied on to carry the majority of the workload? RB is one of the positions that, through history, the round you got drafted in doesn't mean a damn thing.

I did take James into consideration. That's why I felt it was a lower priority.

As for Hightower and his 2.8 YPC, numbers without context mean nothing. As you mentioned, he was primarily used in short yardage packages and he was getting less than 10 carries a game. That was because James was there and they also had Arrington. Now, they've replaced Arrington with Jason Wright. Could they take Moreno? Sure. Would they consider him the Best Player available at that pick? Don't know..

I like a lot the versatility that Unger has, and the fact that he is zone-blocking offensive lineman. I tought that with Mankins and Neal and their contract expiring the Pats needed another young interior lineman, and for me nobody in this draft is better than Unger at that position. :D

IMHO, #34 is too early for the interior lineman, as there are other C/OG options with the next pick, and maybe the next one also. Unger's a solid prospect, but NE has other needs to address, where the depth of those positions may not be as deep as C/OG, so it's better to fill them now -- not later. Value for the pick is the guiding rule...no harm done though as this is a friendly mock. :)

IMHO, #34 is too early for the interior lineman, as there are other C/OG options with the next pick, and maybe the next one also. Unger's a solid prospect, but NE has other needs to address, where the depth of those positions may not be as deep as C/OG, so it's better to fill them now -- not later. Value for the pick is the guiding rule...no harm done though as this is a friendly mock. :)
I know the three options he had on his #23 short list and I have to say KF-33 had a great shopping list and he's landed two of them. Unger is a 5 position OL, as mobile as Neal, if perhaps not as strong. I'd be interested in whom you and Db might have been thinking about for #34? I can think of options, some I might have chosen ahead of Unger, but it's still an excellent choice for NE's needs.

Bears are looking to move up from pick 49 in the second round. PM me if you're looking to move down for more picks.

I know the three options he had on his #23 short list and I have to say KF-33 had a great shopping list and he's landed two of them. Unger is a 5 position OL, as mobile as Neal, if perhaps not as strong. I'd be interested in whom you and Db might have been thinking about for #34? I can think of options, some I might have chosen ahead of Unger, but it's still an excellent choice for NE's needs.

I'm familiar with Unger and others. The C/OG position may extend into round 3 -- as has been mentioned often. The names are well known -- so I won't bother.

The #34 options you're thinking of are most likely the same options we've been discussing for a while now.

We all have our own shopping lists...just some of us shop dairy last or produce first. We'll send the cart through the checkout, and determine if there was any value and/or savings.

Hey Box I think you would do a good job picking for the Pats one year. Why don't you participate in this mock draft?

Well, I think that I made the 1st "reach" of the draft by taking Ron Brace for the Titans. But considering that I had Chris Johnson pegged for them in the 2nd round last year and they took him in the 1st, I feel comfortable about doing the same for Brace.

I was giving serious thought to taking him and trying him in one of the 3-4 positions. Good pick.

I also think that the Vonte Davis pick for the Steelers was a very good pick he just seems like their kinda cornerback.

Hey Box I think you would do a good job picking for the Pats one year. Why don't you participate in this mock draft?
I post enough of my thoughts here, I like to let the less obtrusive folks who are monitoring all the discussions here have their fun. I do my part by being available to cover for someone who may not be around to post their choice when their turn comes up.

I post enough of my thoughts here, I like to let the less obtrusive folks who are monitoring all the discussions here have their fun. I do my part by being available to cover for someone who may not be around to post their choice when their turn comes up.

I've taken on the Pack at short notice and I might ask you to cover if any of my picks come in at Silly O'Clock, GMT. :p Scouting for that new 3-4 D is, er, interesting...

Last edited:
There is a trade that I proposed to billdog3484:

His #37
for my #47 and #89

He said he will accept on this thread! ;)

I've taken on the Pack at short notice and I might ask you to cover if any of my picks come in at Silly O'Clock, GMT. :p Scouting for that new 3-4 D is, er, interesting...

Ummm no you're not. I'm the Packers GM.

Busted. Once again the course of Empire is upset by an upstart colonial returning from the frontier.

See above. If you're in, fair enough.

Because I got the Packers GM job before the mock draft even started.
I tried to trade out of the #9 spot but got no takers and by the next time I checked people had voted for my first round pick.
That doesn't mean I plan to skip the rest of my picks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore