PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 NFL Mock Draft Game: Discussion/Vote Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice pick for Denver to help their front seven.

I was going to vote for Caldwell but Baker was my number two choice nice job getting an impact player in the third round.

Prior to Tampa Bay selecting OLB Tyrone McKenzie, I had an interesting trade offer. I had a chance to move up from #81 to #68; however I would have had to have also given up #120 and #155 along with #81 to get that #68.

I turned it down primarily because I was trying to think along the lines of the team - which seems to be devoted to getting younger (or perhaps cheaper) and looking long term with multiple new players for new offensive and defensive schemes.

At first I was kicking myself for passing the trade up as I first saw DEs Paul Kruger and Lawrence Sidbury drafted, and then OTs Philip Loadholt and Gerald Cadogan picked as well. After that OLB Marcus Freeman was my next choice, and he went one pick before mine.

However for a team with new coaches and schemes, I'm still thinking that losing a net of two draft picks was just too much in that scenario. Any thoughts?

Prior to Tampa Bay selecting OLB Tyrone McKenzie, I had an interesting trade offer. I had a chance to move up from #81 to #68; however I would have had to have also given up #120 and #155 along with #81 to get that #68.

I turned it down primarily because I was trying to think along the lines of the team - which seems to be devoted to getting younger (or perhaps cheaper) and looking long term with multiple new players for new offensive and defensive schemes.

At first I was kicking myself for passing the trade up as I first saw DEs Paul Kruger and Lawrence Sidbury drafted, and then OTs Philip Loadholt and Gerald Cadogan picked as well. After that OLB Marcus Freeman was my next choice, and he went one pick before mine.

However for a team with new coaches and schemes, I'm still thinking that losing a net of two draft picks was just too much in that scenario. Any thoughts?
Jim Bates is rebuilding his defense, he'd want the extra picks, whether the new HC or GM would agree... :confused2:

I'm not very good at this, but I DO think the Bills will draft that TE gem Pettigrew with their #11. Yeah, they need to shore up on D, but with the signing of Owens, looks like Ralph Wilson is more concerned about making $$$$ in his NFL Siberia site this year.

Pt being that defense may win championships, but it's offense that $ell$-drafting Pettigrew combined with the Owens signing could turn the Bills into an offensive machine, and hence, end up getting tons of media exposure for at least this year.

After that OLB Marcus Freeman was my next choice, and he went one pick before mine.

LOL, I was going back and forth between Freeman and McKenzie for the Redskins pick--I thought it was fantastic that McKenzie went with the next pick!

I was very pleased that Freeman was available at #80. I thought that both Freeman and McKenzie would have productive careers but that Freeman was a little more ready to play now. He'll probably be starting for the Skins in '09, mainly because they have no other options at OLB (Washington is done), but it's still good to get a starter in round 3.

I did consider OL options as well, but didn't like any of them for the Skins. Kropog doesn't fit their style, nor does Urbik really. I'm sure MayoClinic will give me a low grade for not addressing the OL early for the Skins but I didn't see the value and I think the OL need for the Skins is overrated anyway.

Last edited:
The Eagles need depth in the secondary so how about selecting someone thats versatile and a playmaker as well. Welcome aboard Sherrod Martin.

Last edited:
I'm not very good at this, but I DO think the Bills will draft that TE gem Pettigrew with their #11. Yeah, they need to shore up on D, but with the signing of Owens, looks like Ralph Wilson is more concerned about making $$$$ in his NFL Siberia site this year.

Pt being that defense may win championships, but it's offense that $ell$-drafting Pettigrew combined with the Owens signing could turn the Bills into an offensive machine, and hence, end up getting tons of media exposure for at least this year.

I highly doubt it. I would agree that the owner is desperately looking to make a big splash, but they've got T.O. With the 1st round pick they need to address the defense. There's plenty of good TEs and as we saw play out in this draft they got a very good one in James Casey in the 3rd round.

We'll take the 6 foot tall CB with the 41 Wonderlic score and excellent agility numbers, thank you very much. ;)

Kevin Barnes*|*Maryland,*CB*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

And the Packers defensive overhaul is now complete!

Jason Smith
James Laurinaitis
Darius Butler
Jairus Byrd
Lawrence Sidbury

This draft is so deep that the Lions would have to be absolutely stupid to do badly with their bevy of high draft picks Then again, we're talking about the Lions, so who knows?

Last edited:
Yeah I was actually thinking of taking them myself :D since I don't have another pick until the 5th round.

Derrick Williams seems like a solid choice!

Correction; the Lions no longer have a 5th round pick as that went to Seattle for Julian Peterson. So we're on hiatus til the 6th round.

I will be continuing to try to ingratiate myself with the NY Jesters from here on out though. :D

I highly doubt it. I would agree that the owner is desperately looking to make a big splash, but they've got T.O. With the 1st round pick they need to address the defense. There's plenty of good TEs and as we saw play out in this draft they got a very good one in James Casey in the 3rd round.

If Pettigrew is still on the board when Miami is up in the 1st round, do you think Parcells will jump on getting him?

I know what you said about this being a potentially very good draft for TEs, but you know how Parcells LOVES TEs, especially ones that block WELL(like this kid), and wouldn't want to miss the chance with this gem. Plus it'll give "dink and dunk" Pennington potentially another year of life.

The Eagles need depth in the secondary so how about selecting someone thats versatile and a playmaker as well. Welcome aboard Sherrod Martin.

I read that Jake Mcsomebody(forgot his last name) has fully recovered from his knee injury last year. If it weren't for his injury, he could have been a #1 pick. With Samuel/Brown/Hanson(who they just signed long term)/Jake, they seem fine at CB.

However-it's at SAFETY where they seem to have issues. Dawkins left, Quenton Demps from what I've read still needs another year, and they signed Sean Jones from Cleveland(but it was for only 1 year, and he wasn't that great to begin with). Quinton Mickels has solidified himself, but they still need either an SS/FS. Wouldn't surprise me if they choose one with one of their #1's.

If Pettigrew is still on the board when Miami is up in the 1st round, do you think Parcells will jump on getting him?

I know what you said about this being a potentially very good draft for TEs, but you know how Parcells LOVES TEs, especially ones that block WELL(like this kid), and wouldn't want to miss the chance with this gem. Plus it'll give "dink and dunk" Pennington potentially another year of life.

No I don't see it. They have a very good TE in Fasano. Parcells is known to love LBs from what I hear. Are you Pettigrew's agent by any chance? :p

I read that Jake Mcsomebody(forgot his last name) has fully recovered from his knee injury last year. If it weren't for his injury, he could have been a #1 pick. With Samuel/Brown/Hanson(who they just signed long term)/Jake, they seem fine at CB.

However-it's at SAFETY where they seem to have issues. Dawkins left, Quenton Demps from what I've read still needs another year, and they signed Sean Jones from Cleveland(but it was for only 1 year, and he wasn't that great to begin with). Quinton Mickels has solidified himself, but they still need either an SS/FS. Wouldn't surprise me if they choose one with one of their #1's.

I guess we will see what the Eagles do on draft day with those 2 first round picks. As for this selection Sherrod Martin plays Free Safety and corner kinda like Eugene Wilson did for the Pats. I'm drafting him for his versatility and with the intentions of playing him at free safety. Read his profile when you get the chance.

I know the selections are still ongoing(which I'm fine with) but we need to come together on a selection for the Bears.

Recent reports are that they are on the verge of signing Orland Pace, so instead of go OT I'm thinking OG and Kraig Urbik.

I know the selections are still ongoing(which I'm fine with) but we need to come together on a selection for the Bears.

Recent reports are that they are on the verge of signing Orland Pace, so instead of go OT I'm thinking OG and Kraig Urbik.

What happened to my post last evening? I suggested 3 OG prospects for the Bears, with Urbik as one of them. I posted this just before my Vikings selection at 11:57pm.

What happened to my post last evening? I suggested 3 OG prospects for the Bears, with Urbik as one of them. I posted this just before my Vikings selection at 11:57pm.

:confused2: beats me. I don't have any mod powers lol

So that's 2 votes Urbik.

BTW we already voted on the Ravens last pick, so if someone wants to take their place as GM by all means!

I did notice you waited until the last minute to make the selection and you also kept the correct order so everyone else is still in line. I think we should just ad Urbik as our vote because after looking at it last night the only other two players I though for consideration were

1) Phillip Hunt, Houston
2) Gerald McRath, Southern Miss

I went with some defensive players to replace their D-Line and OLB where Hunter Hillenmeyer was benched in favor of Nick Roach late in the year.

Just to throw some defense into the conversation but I like the Urbik pick.

Last edited:
Ok I'll make Urbik the pick.

Now who wants the RAVENS?

Ok I'll make Urbik the pick.

Now who wants the RAVENS?

Im gonna go ahead and take Baltimore. Let me just have a few minutes to look over the draft board. :)

I have to confess I didn't know who the heck Jason Williams was! lol So I'm hoping you meant the kid out of Western Illinois?

Im gonna go ahead and take Baltimore. Let me just have a few minutes to look over the draft board. :)

Thanks! I had a couple names in mind, so I'm curious to see who you pick.

ETA: Andre Brown is definitely a good value, but not what I was thinking for Baltimore there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back