I am writing this article angry. Dumb and Dumber… Stupid Is as Stupid Does … inconceivable, however, you want to call it, the Patriots embarrassed themselves again this week. They snatched a loss out of the mouth of victory. The Patriots, uncharacteristically for Bill Belichick-coached teams, play scared and make unforced mistakes. Jonnu Smith lining up on the line of scrimmage late and not getting set on the QB sneak for a TD. Called back. The punt team not being ready for a snap, resulting in Jabrill Peppers whiffing on a block and having a blocked punt. Finally, the inexplicable lateral by Jakobi Meyers was intercepted and returned for the game-winning TD.
- Bill Belichick when asked why he didn’t try a Hail Mary responded that he didn’t think the pass would make it. Does he think Mac Jones doesn’t have arm strength?
- Belichick responded they made mistakes on all three critical calls. Why didn’t any report ask Belichick if hiring Matt Patricia was a Mistake?
- Prevent defense prevents the team from winning the game. How does Keenan Cole get open to complete that pass (Good call or Bad call)?
- There were only two video angles of the having the second foot in bounds. Having the game flexed out of Sunday Night, reduced the number of cameras and the High Definition cameras in play at the game.
- I thought Cole was out. The officials claimed they couldn’t definitively change the call on the field. Cowardly is what I would call it. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it’s probably a duck!
- Patricia’s inability to get plays in on time cost the Patriots timeouts and a TD. Not getting the TD inside the 5 and settling for FG eventually cost them the game.
- Loved the game from Rhamondre Stevenson. He ran 19 times for 172 yards (9.5 yards a carry). Wish they went to OT and the offense continued to March down the field.
- Marcus Jones played great up until that last play against Keenan Cole. He held Davante Adams to 1 catch on 2 targets. The other was a big pass breakup against Adams.
- The Patriots’ defense held the Raiders scoreless until the controversial call in the second half.
- Jacobs had 93 yards on 22 carries (4 yards a carry) but it felt like they had Jacobs in check during the second half.
- Officials were brutal throughout the game. They badly missed an illegal procedure and missed a call on Jermaine Eluemunor. He got a jump of almost a full second into his pass-blocking set. Another missed call was a hitch by the Raiders’ long snapper. He double-clutched. When a long snapper is going to snap they stick their butt out towards the punter. This is what he did but never snapped the ball. That is a deliberate attempt to deceive the punt block team.
- Loved Kyle Dugger’s pick-six. He obviously studied the film and picked up a tell (like in poker) from the Raiders. He saw the formation and sprinted to the spot for the INT and a TD.
- Too many dropped passes by the Patriots’ receiving corps. Meyers, Henry, Agholor, and Bourne all dropped catchable passes.
- This was the worst game I have seen Mac Jones have. He wasn’t sacked once. He had time to throw despite the two edge rushers. He missed some wide-open receivers. He was 13 of 31 for only 112 yards. Take away that big 39-yard reception by Meyers and he would have been under 100 yards. I am beginning to question Mac Jones’s arm strength and his ability to get the ball downfield.
- The much-maligned offensive line had one of their better games. The team ran for 226 yards on 32 carries for 7.06 yards per rush. They did allow a few pressures as both McDermott and Brown were beaten by Maxx Crosby and Chandler Jones, but they didn’t give up a sack.
- Jakobi Meyers stood tall as a man and accepted responsibility for the last play. He said he tried to be the hero and that he never saw Chandler Jones. The fact is that Jones was knocked flat to the ground on the big Raiders logo in the middle of the field. Black uniform against the black logo. Jones blended right in. He sprang up and was suddenly in a position to intercept the lateral. No excuses, dumb play from an experienced player. Stupid call by Patricia. If you aren’t trying to throw the Hail Mary pass then sit on the ball and go to OT. The way the Patriots were running the ball they would have dominated the OT.
Posted Under: Patriots News
Tags: 2022 Patriots Season Patriots vs Raiders