PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you be mad if we draft QB in rd 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like McCaron because he showed he's a winner in college. And he does remind me of Brady a lil bit.

I wouldn't get mad. BB knows more than anybody what's best for the team. And sooner or later, we're gonna have to pull the trigger on a QB.

No, he has "character concerns." You have to remember that dumb racists are also the target audience for dumb as **** media narratives

Get off my lawn. :cool:

th

I can't see it happening but if it does BB must have some good plain for him, so if that's what's best for the team it's ok with me.

No I won't be upset.

I'm fully expecting a QB drafted in the top 4 rounds this year so he can be on the team a year before we need him as the backup QB. We know Brady's timeline, 4 years left, rookie signs 4 year contract (5th year option in first round), this is the first year we could be drafting THE eventual successor, if we stumble on an opportunity to get a guy they really like then that's great. Of course I'm not wanting to take one just to take one, it would have to be someone they think has pro bowl potential down the road to take a QB in the frst round 4 years ahead. In my perfect world we'll take one a little later, look at him for a year or two and try again in a year or two once it becomes clear he's not "The Successor".

Took a quick look at recent SB QBs (winnners and losers) and their draft positions:

w/ ASSUMPTIONS:
UDFAs as round 8+ pick​
and pick # 230 assigned to UDFAs

Frequency of round pick in SB: 1-12x, 2-1x, 3-1x, 4-1x, 6-6x, 8+-4x

Taking the average of the overall pick #s:
Average pick # of a SB QB: = 93 (RD 3 or less)
- If Exclude TB from avg = 63 (essentially RD 2 or less)
- If Exclude TB & UDFAs avg = 49 (mid-RD 2 or less)

If you consider the heavy weighting that TB and Kurt Warner give the "got lucky" (rd 6 or UDFA) category; then you are left with only single anomoly's for all the rounds EXCEPT RD 1.

I didnt get that rigourous, but if you went through and only counted the guys who went to the SB with the team that drafted them (and/or within 5 years of being drafted); I bet you are looking at almost only 1 Rounders (less Wilson and he is 5-11 so that is explained).

So if your STATED GOAL of drafting a QB is: to find TB's successor; you better draft that guy in RD 1.
Drafting a QB in rd 2-4 is saying to me: this is our NEXT BACKUP.​

Drafting a QB in rd 5-UDFA is saying to me: I LIKE ROULETTE.​

Otherwise you might as well plan on acquiring as a FA veteran somebody else's guy who was drafted years before (a la Warner, Rogers, Manning (as a Bronco), Brees). Because those guys have a track record and you can

So then it really comes back to 2 basic questions: Do we need a successor NOW and do we prefer to DRAFT to get that successor.

Personally (i started elsewhere), but after thinking it over I say NO to both questions and that a 4 -5 Rd project is fine (can maybe stash on PS for 1 year and promote to QB2 when mallet is gone). Then pursue the best avail FA for a successor. I just dont see the Pats picking at less than pick 20 anytime soon (while TB plays) and I dont see getting a franchise guy at less than that.​

Attachments

• SB-QBs-Draft.jpg
    SB-QBs-Draft.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 45
oops, didnt scale down image and now I cant even get to the edit button (sidebar overlays).

appreciate any mod help. thx.

I would. Barring any injury Brady will still play until the end of the contract of this possible draftee QB. It would be a waste of a 1st round pick.

We need contribution right now. Give me a hard hitting safety, a DT or a TE.

The people that want Mccarron are so lol. He's a middling QB who is worse than at least 5 QBs in this draft, you don't have to pathologically promote him just because he's a good old white boy who's a lower pick.

Personally the only guy I'm almost positive is going to be a complete stud is Bridgewater. No one else is even in his class AFAICT.

You have been banned from this thread and given major infraction points. I'm really sick of keyboard warriors throwing out racist accusation. This is happening all too often.

I grew up in an era when there was real racism. People who throw out "racist" today without much thought demean the years of struggle against real racism.

I'm just not going to stand for this anymore and I'll abuse the **** out of my mod powers in the future should people start thowing around "racism" without any solid evidence.

THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL GOING FORWARD. IF YOU CAN'T MAKE A POINT WITHOUT CALLING OR IMPLYING THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS ONE OF WORST FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS- YOU WILL BE BANNED.

I would not be mad per say, if it was to happen I think the basis would be on Belichick getting what he viewed as a tremendous value. I do not think he is seeking out a quarterback in the first round, or in this draft at all for that matter. Brady is one year into a five-year contract, if we drafted a QB this season to be his replacement the QBs four-year rookie contract would be expiring the offseason Brady is expected to retire (or at least his contract ends). Brady has repeatedly stated he wants to play into his 40s and I have not heard him move away from that assertion so I expect it to happen.

Belichick is bringing in QBs because it is an opportunity to scout them, he will be facing them in future years, he would want to know how much value he could ask for if a team wanted to trade back into the first round to draft the QB, he wants the teams in the 33-40 range of the draft to believe he would select that QB so they do not think they can trade into the first with the teams at 30, 31, and 32, and also he probably wants to assess the QB class against Mallett for trade value reasons.

Bady has three years left tops what's wrong with getting a guy who can step in after he depart? Who knows how good these QB's will be I am sure we remember Aaron Rodgers on Draft day sitting in that room, did the know it alls know he would be this good? Draft day don't make the player. If you have a chance to get a potential Franchise QB you make that move everytime.

If Manziel drops, he would be Brady's backup. Mallett would be traded.

BTW, no one has suggested that we draft a quarterback in the first round.

Unusual move? Sure. But it would be someone who the pats think shouldn't be on the board at all at 29. The chances of that happening are slim to none since teams will jump all over each other if one of this years top QB's drop in the 20s and way before 29. But lets say by some miracle that someone falls at the pats at 29 i still don't see it and would be surprised if it happens.

The chances of Manziel falling are the same chances the pats can get a high second for Mallet. So sure Manziel at 29 then, a 2,2,3,4,4. But the chances of anything like that happening are 0 to absolutely none.

If you have a chance to get a potential Franchise QB you make that move everytime.

Why would you do that if you already have a franchise QB, aka GOAT, set for the next 4 years?

You make that move in an Andrew Luck case. Not for Bridgewater, Johny Booziel ,etc..

And even in the Colts/Luck choice, there were several question marks over Manning back then, had he been completely healthy, coming off a IR season for a injury like a broken foot or something like that, they would stick with Manning and trade luck for a universe of picks.

Well we can't predict Irsay's call on this, based on what he said a few months ago they could make the move even without Manning's arm and neck concerns.

But that's a totally different case. I see no reason to believe Brady will decline to a level where he can't perform anymore during his current contract. As far as I know he doesn't drink, is always in good shape, hard working, he should have a balanced and healthy wise diet because Giselle needs it as a supermodel and he may or may not follow but of course there is a lot of nutritional evaluation on their house. They have nothing to worry, that reflects on the field. And the most important thing, Brady is probably one of the smartest QB's ever, if he feels his arm is not what used to be he will adapt his game instead of being stubborn. Brady at 50% is still better than all this QB class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News