PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wonderlic results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainefan's intention may be honorable in defending low scorers on standardized tests in general. However, the gentlemen in question here just spent several years IN COLLEGE, not some under priviledged public high school.

Even if the football program has a set up to let players off the hook and demand nearly zero genuine schoolwork, the opportunity for gaining knowledge literally surrounds the players shoud they choose to tap into it. Coaches, administrators, boosters, et al, deserve some of the blame for allowing athletes to avoid study but the players themselves bear a great deal of the responsibility for only managing a 4 or a 9 on the Wonderlic. When you consider that the test score has some bearing on how they will be viewed by NFL teams, and thus could directly impact a player's future earnings, the lack of effort to gain even a modicum of general knowledge by a COLLEGE football player becomes a personal embarrassment - an embarrassment he surely could have avoided in spite of any cultural disadvantages. Major college campuses are crawling with sources of assistance for students struggling with their studies, it is a simply conscious choice not to employ them.

Mainefan may mean well, but IMHO he's off base on this issue.

Mainefan's intention may be honorable in defending low scorers on standardized tests in general. However, the gentlemen in question here just spent several years IN COLLEGE, not some under priviledged public high school.

Even if the football program has a set up to let players off the hook and demand nearly zero genuine schoolwork, the opportunity for gaining knowledge literally surrounds the players shoud they choose to tap into it. Coaches, administrators, boosters, et al, deserve some of the blame for allowing athletes to avoid study but the players themselves bear a great deal of the responsibility for only managing a 4 or a 9 on the Wonderlic. When you consider that the test score has some bearing on how they will be viewed by NFL teams, and thus could directly impact a player's future earnings, the lack of effort to gain even a modicum of general knowledge by a COLLEGE football player becomes a personal embarrassment - an embarrassment he surely could have avoided in spite of any cultural disadvantages. Major college campuses are crawling with sources of assistance for students struggling with their studies, it is a simply conscious choice not to employ them.

Mainefan may mean well, but IMHO he's off base on this issue.

I think his explanation may be one of many.......

How many schools teach people general knowledge? Most get it from television game shows.

Perhaps some just don't think it will influence their draft outcome.

Perhaps in the end it's only marginally relevant. Case in point, the current Titans QB.

Hey, the (first) time I took the SAT's as a Junior in high school was the morning of our State HS Championship Track Meet. Oh, I did great. The Monday after taking the test I immediately scheduled another one. I knew that I blew it. I spent great portions of the test being unable to concentrate on anything but the weather, my spikes, my quads, my opponents and several members of the girl's track team.

One more reason to draft Sepuvida!, just for some reason I think we are goin to draft a punter this year.

All it takes is to WANT to learn? That's it? So the reason ghetto kids don't get an education is that they're lazy or uninterested? Do you really believe that DaBruinz? Parents and drugs and crime have nothing to do with it?

Have I taken the Wonderlic? The sample test, yes. I got them all correct. If I hadn't, that would have been pathetic, given the education I got, as well as the parental encouragement and economic stratum I came from. Probably the same for you, DaBruinz. If you missed any, you should be ashamed of yourself.

My wife is a fourth grade teacher in an economically disadvantaged area--not a big city ghetto, since all of her students are white. But you can already see what their parents and their environment has done to them. They get no help or encouragement at home. Their parents think of school as a baby-sitting service, nothing more. They actually don't want their children to do any better in life than they do--they resent the very idea and believe it or not, they say so.
Looks like you answered your own question. Yes, all it takes it to want to learn. But not just the kid. The family too. If my kids were in an urban school would they be doing well ? Yes. Because I would make sure they did. Everything else is just BS excuses.

Let's get back on topic folks and try to keep away from the borderline comments.

So they don't have the right "culture" to encourage learning. Gee, that's not racist or anything.

Well, whatever the culture, the test measures something. Maybe it's biased against people who have a bad learning culture...but that's the whole point.
Maybe they can learn in the future, maybe they can't. An undeveloped mind is hard to 'turn on' at some point.

But the coaches and GMs know this. They have had some players play 'intelligently' even with low Wonderlics and some players not play intelligently. So they take it all with a grain of salt. So even if it is 'biased' the test has been around a long time, and they know it isn't perfect.

Do NOT be surprised when the Pats choose Justin Blalock in Round 1.

Smart, can run and is an absolute BEAST! Sounds like Patriot material.

I agree. I would still be surprised, however, if the pats take him in round 1.

If this were the 2005 draft, then I would have taken him over any other available O-Lineman at 32.

I just hope that a team I despise, like the ravens, doesn't take him.

Last edited:

This is a very salient point for me. After 4 years of college, even if much of your time is devoted to football, you should still manage to score in the teens, simply by osmosis, if by nothing else.

If Samuel had scored a 30 instead of a 10, he would have been a first-day pick. That he overcame his mental limitations, to find himself on the verge of a huge payday, is testament to his hard work and the superior coaching he received from BB, Romeo, Mangina and O-T-I-S my man. It's also proof that you don't need to be a brain sturgeon to be a valuable CB. On the flip side, there is the case of Kevin Garrett, whom I wanted the pats to draft instead of Samuel in 2003. He had all the intangibles: high Wonderlic, solid character, college grad, special teams experience. Yet he is barely hanging on to a career; I believe he is on Carolina's TC roster.

What if Garrett, instead of Samuel, had been drafted by BB; and Samuel, instead of Garrett, had been drafted by Mike Martz?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes