PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the Combine's Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
While many people put heavy weight on a players performance at the Combine, is it really a true test to help coaches/gm to draft the right guy. Dungy was quoted this week that he doesn't put much confindence in the combine drills.

Isn't players tapes much more important than a combine performance? And if so, how much?

All eyes are going to be focussed on Indi to see 40 times, drills, and bench presses. I just have to wonder how much a coach like BB pays attention to this stuff.

In the same light, I can see how a poor showing can kill a guy. Lendell White was slaughtered last year because he was out of shape. Maurice Clarett had a shot to make it in the NFL, but the Combine showed his laziness.

What are your thoughts? Does the combine actually change the thought of teams looking at certain players in the draft?

While many people put heavy weight on a players performance at the Combine, is it really a true test to help coaches/gm to draft the right guy. Dungy was quoted this week that he doesn't put much confindence in the combine drills.

Isn't players tapes much more important than a combine performance? And if so, how much?

All eyes are going to be focussed on Indi to see 40 times, drills, and bench presses. I just have to wonder how much a coach like BB pays attention to this stuff.

In the same light, I can see how a poor showing can kill a guy. Lendell White was slaughtered last year because he was out of shape. Maurice Clarett had a shot to make it in the NFL, but the Combine showed his laziness.

What are your thoughts? Does the combine actually change the thought of teams looking at certain players in the draft?

I think the combine is the first initial weeding out process. It assesses all the measurables like speed, strength, and agility.

If a guy is slightly off in one of those categories I would rely on the game tape and interviews of player and coaches.

If a guy is way off with speed it either means he's not that fast or faster, he's injured potentially, or came in just out of shape.

I think it also shows how important football is to players in the fact that they devote themselves to training and take it seriously. If you ahve a guy like Lendale White that when he was healthy was still out of shape that tells you something.

I've never been high on combine guys who run fast. It's just one piece of the puzzle, a very small piece. We've seen guys who lit it up at the combine(Watson, Bethel, and CJ)- they still need to prove they are football players(Watson to a lesser extent). I don't like getting enamored with 40 times.

Combine is a just a small piece of the pie.

I don't think the good organizations put the combine numbers at the top but it may break a tie or just be weighted less than the other things.

Let's say the Pats really like two corners and both have great interviews, show up similar on tape, have about the same intelligence but one runs the 40 in 4.45 and the 3 cone drill in 6.60 and the other 4.49 and 6.66 that will push player one over player two.

The biggest things about the combine are the interview and seeing how they react to their peers and the pressure.

I think the interview, game tape, combine numbers, coaches recommendations, and other things all play a part at different percentages in different organizations.

I think your last point is exactly dead on. It is valuable because it gives the teams a good perspective on how hard a guy works. Because it is hard to gauge that kind of info from their past coaches, how much a player improves can show a lot about him. Now the combine does not affect the top ten players, mainly since they don't work out. Generally WR and DB are affected the most by a good/bad workout, with their 40 time being the best predictor of how high they will be drafted.

Well they did draft workout warrior Benjamin Watson.

I personally think game film and real performance is much, much, much more valuable than how many times a guy can bench or run in a straight line while in a controlled environment.

I think the interview...
I want to say the primary reason is each team is allowed to interview up to 60 players, that may be a high number, but this is a chance for the Head Coach and the GM to get the most bang for their buck in personal interviews.

The second thing is the scouts and coaches doing the timing from the stands can "consistently" compare player's times. Same watch, same scout/coach, same surface, same view, etc. You don't get that on campus.

Position coaches can interact with many of the top players under similar conditions, side-by-side comparisons in comprehension, coachability, etc.

Scouts and coaches can also get together each evening to discuss "fresh" impressions and plan targeted Pro-day followups as well as followups with college and high school coaches, teachers, etc. who really does need more background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference