PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Volek for a 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbee

Banned
Reaction score
Volek was traded for a 6th round pick. Kind of a cheap price considering our all-star, but completely inexperienced Cassell is worth a 2nd.

Can you say HOMER?

mcbee said:
Volek was traded for a 6th round pick. Kind of a cheap price considering our all-star, but completely inexperienced Cassell is worth a 2nd.

Can you say HOMER?

I guess I don't see why people view Cassell as the next Brady, or as an adequate replacement to Brady. Their proof is basically preseason, which of course also led us to believe Michael Bishop would be a great pro QB.

I said it in the other thread and for some reason people didn't agree. We'd be F'd hardcore if Brady went down.

mcbee said:

Can you say HOMER?
There's plenty of other examples of QB costing a lot. Volek is a journeyman who couldn't even keep the starting job when it was handed to him.

Check out an unproven Matt Hasselbeck. Or Rob Johnson traded from Jacksonville to Buffalo for alternate valuations.

mcbee said:

Can you say HOMER?

Where's the comparison here? Volek was just beaten out by a guy who was out on the street looking for work two weeks ago. Cassel was just called the most-improved player on the team by BB, who had enough confidence in him that he never even brought a vet into camp.

Personally, I have never said Cassel would reap a 2nd in trade. But I will certainly say that I'd take him over Volek by a mile.

Volek is also 30 years old.

Volek is also an example of a guy who was hung onto too long as a backup. Lots of GM's would have parted with a #2 or better for Volek a year or two ago. Tennessee basically devalued him further, as they did McNair, in a sellers market just loaded with desperate buyers. Wouldn't be the first time Floyd did something really stupid, it's been his MO for a while now.

It would be extremely stupid of Belichick to trade Cassel when they have no other backup QB. Brady's shoulder may limit his career so they will need a good backup for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents