PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The very simple tale of the D vs Denver: gap integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.
For cliff notes, all of Denver's big plays on the ground took advantage of seams created by poor gap integrity. As soon as NE played with good gap integrity (facilitated by a shift to the balanced 34) against the run, and stayed within their rushing lanes against the pass, Denver was useless. A simple adjustment for a simple offense. This one came down to simplicity and execution. Not bad for the worst defense in the NFL :cool:

Gap responsibility and technique and important but as Tedy Bruschi says "Stopping the run is a mentality"

Time for the defense to show some sack and man up. I don't care if the Broncos rush for 200 yards as long as they don't get gashed for 25 yards all the time.

But wait...if that's what the Pats did last time, and you are John Fox and staff, what do you do in response? What are his options? Despite BB being better at this than he is, he isn't going to just role over and play dead.

I like this- and have the same question. I was thinking that we would come out in the 3-4 again because that was confusing to the Denver OL as we used a few fronts in that alignment- from base to wide to even, and at one point their OL was confused to the point that Fletcher was able to get to Tebow unchecked.

But I am sure that Fox will be making sure that his OL will be familiar with the 3-4 now and will have them practice assigning the blocks.

At the very least, I think we double-eagle on a reduced line to contain the option and force it to stay in the pocket.

You nailed that one, Ken.

The play is a 1st and 10 on the DEN 18 with 7:18 in the 1st quarter.

Denver is lined up with two TE's to the left of the formation, and one back. The ball is on the far hash, with the strength to the field.

NE is in a balanced 34 with Nink aligned as the Sam, playing head-up on the line on the outermost TE. Deaderick is the playside end in a 5-technique. Arrington is the playside corner, aligned outside the numbers head up on the x. *The safeties are showing 2-deep 20 yards off the line*. The play is a handoff directed between the 5-technique and the sam.

The inside TE and the T doubleteam Deaderick, the outside TE posts Ninkovich. The playside guard rubs Love at the nose and seals Mayo.

The aiming point for the back is the seam between Nink and the doubleteamed Deaderick. There is a hole initially in the B gap, but Fletcher stays home and shuts that lane down, forcing the initial bounce. Ninkovich jars the TE post, and actually lifts his blocker off of his feet. He is square and controls the outside shoulder of the TE. As the play develops, Deaderick penetrates the doubleteam and turns the play outside. Simultaneously, Nink reads the play going inside of him and moves to shed to the inside to make a play. The back sees Deaderick split the doubleteam and this causes the bounce. Nink at this point is committed to the inside. Arrington is coming hard laterally, with the recever trailing him trying to make a block. As this is happening, Fletcher is scraping in pursuit of the play. As the back cuts it outside, it was a perfect storm of positioning. Nink and Deaderick are negated by the bounce out, and Arrington is now is poor position with the receiver now having an easy seal. Nink is still in position to make a play and does a nice job trying to recover. However, his blocker makes a nice hold on the v of his breastplate. Arrington is blocked into Fletcher, taking them both out of the play.

Slater is coming too hard to the C gap, and is now out of position for run support. McGahee is able to get the angle on him, defeats an arm tackle with a stiff arm, and now is in a race to the pylon along the numbers. Of all people, McCourty coming in pursuit is able to finally push McGahee out of bounds after a 28 yard gain.

So, yes DB play is absolutely to blame in this play. However, it was played well initially by the playside defenders. In my mind, it was just a nice play by McGahee and bad luck the way the play went down.

Hell of an observation in real time!
Jay, I missed this the first time around so I'm glad this was bumped so I got the answer to my question. Next year I won't watch football without the ability to record and review. I've gotten lazy in my declining years.

The key to playing 2 gap 3-4 has always been keeping the outside shoulder free, controlling the outside gap, and the NT controlling the 2 Center gaps. What most people don't realize how more difficult this became back when they changed the blocking rules so offensive linemen could extend their arms.

Prior to that the primary defensive weapon for the DL and LBs were using his head and forearm shiver to create that bit of "separation" or air between the blocker and the defender. Up to that point offensive linemen fired out low and hard. Now the object is NOT to move the defender back but to engage them in a hand fight with the object to create position on the defender.

For the defender the forearm shiver went the way of the buggy whip to be replaced a karate-like 2 handed punch. The problem with that is that it makes it harder to keep that outside shoulder free when you are using your outside hand in your initial contact.

The key to the success of the Denver offense is Tebow's running threat. In traditional offenses where QBs rarely run the ball, there is ALWAYS one more defender than potential blockers. When you play Tebow you no longer have that advantage and that is the reason DC's are always trying to get that extra guy into the box. And when you do that you leave your pass defense more vulnerable

There is no "solution", but there is a treatment. You have to keep switching your strategy from an aggressive 8 man in the box plan to a more passive 4 man deep one. And how well you succeed will be directly related to how well you have designed the disguises and how well the defense executes them. As flawed as the Steelers were in the one play of OT, it still should have only been a 20 yd gain, which would have ended up 1st and 10 on the Denver 40 against a team that had only scored 3 points the entire 2nd half.

I look for Denver to use a lot of Delaware Wing T line blocking this week. For those unfamiliar, that would mean a lot of double teams at the point of attack, with Gs pulling or TEs whamming of RBs leading through the hole.

For example The I formation T power play - you man block NT and ILB with the onside C and G - Double team the DE with the OT and TE - lead with a FB on the OLB and pull the offside G. That puts tremendous pressure on the OLB - if he comes across the LOS he creates a hole and the FB will seal him with a KO block his head on his inside hip with the G leading through. If the OLB closes down the double team and anchors the FB will read this and slide his head to the outside. The RB and pulling G also read this and bounce the play out one more hole

The Broncos can do the same thing from the shot gun formation with the RB doing the FB role and the Tebow being the RB. Very tough to defend, especially when you have a very prevalent passing threat from the shot gun

The Broncos can use a lot of the same blocking tendencies when running their version of the old Houston Veer option attack.

So while many might think that compared to facing the Packers or NO offense playing the Broncos will be a walk in the park, it may be different, but they present a lot of problems for the DC. Do not underestimate the Denver offense. They put up 23 points on the #1 defense in the league, and if it wasn't for some pretty iffy calls by the Refs, it could have been well over 30

Just some thoughts to continue this excellent thread

Nice post!

I saw the same thing when watching the game. Patriots were letting themselves get pushed around instead of holding their assignments, which created running lanes. Once the patriots decided to play more disciplined 3-4 football, things changed very quickly.

Now, the exciting part of the game on Saturday will be the addition of Chung and Spikes. These two guys should bring a lot to the defense in terms of stopping the run.

I cannot wait for Saturday! Only 3 and a half more workdays left.

At the very least, I think we double-eagle on a reduced line to contain the option and force it to stay in the pocket.

What's our personnel deployment for this now that people have returned from injury?

Assuming Fox knows this is coming does the Decker injury impact his ability to counter?

They were heavily keyed on the peripherals, and conceding a large hole in the B and C gaps. It seemed that they thought they could win with the two tackles, and that help was needed on the outside.

Just like the Steeler game, the Pats had precisely the wrong gameplan for what the opponent actually did. They were prepared for the Broncos attacking the edge that they were caught off-balance by power runs between the tackles.

The other key was that NE would react to Denver's shifts. Spacing and shifting ware major principals of the Denver offense, and moving with it plays into Denver's hands.

Easily the most frustrating part of the first quarter. The Broncos were playing downhill and too few of the Pats were pushing back at the snap. Even if the RBs didn't break through the 2nd level, they were almost guaranteed to get 5 yards a pop.

While the scheme was not ideal, it should have been good enough. Execution, especially on the parts of White and Ninkovich was very poor.

Wrong players in the wrong scheme. Agree about your comment on execution, but Ninkovich as a SLB and White/Fletcher as a MLB against a running team is not what you want. Ninkovich as a SOLB sealing the edge and Spikes playing inside with Mayo behind a heavy DL changes the situation dramatically.

For cliff notes, all of Denver's big plays on the ground took advantage of seams created by poor gap integrity. As soon as NE played with good gap integrity (facilitated by a shift to the balanced 34) against the run, and stayed within their rushing lanes against the pass, Denver was useless. A simple adjustment for a simple offense. This one came down to simplicity and execution. Not bad for the worst defense in the NFL :cool:

I think "useless" is a bit strong, but I agree with your overall point. It allowed the defense to make it difficult to get 10 yards in 3 plays while preventing any big plays. Unlike the Steelers whose plan was to make the Denver running game "useless" so that Timtebow would be forced to throw on their terms.

The Broncos are successful when they get yards in big chunks. They aren't efficient in any respect except for lack of interceptions. The chess game is between the Pats forcing them to put together efficient drives and the Broncos coming up with a gameplan that can change field position quickly.

The adjustments that were made, however were extremely effective. Around mid point of Denver's 3rd drive, NE put in 34 personnel and began to mix in balanced 2-gap looks. It was clear that there was an adjustment made after the 2nd drive, and NE was beginning to get a feel for what Denver was doing. While they were better, they still did cede a few pass plays which was gameplan and fine, as well as a few really nice plays by Denver. There was a timeout on this drive that signified the first major change. NE went back to gap integrity principals. Stay in your rush lanes, ignore the shifting, two gap up front, and enable your linebackers to keep their 34 keys. This fundamental shift was the key to shutting the Denver offense down.

Realistically we shouldn't expect the Patriots to shut the Broncos down. The Broncos had the best running game in the NFL and had success against the Steelers who has a superior run defense.

The Broncos were slowed by the Patriots defense eventually. But this was combined with the turnovers and pressure to keep up with the Patriots offense.

Scheme is important, the Patriots will have to play disciplined and understand their assignments but this game is much more of a gut check. Denver knows they are going to run the ball and so do the Patriots, time to man up. Once the whistle goes it becomes a battle of will. I hope the defense can rise up, a couple of good performances in the playoffs can erase a season of inconsistency and frustration.

The broncos had success against the Steelers running the ball when the Steelers were basically missing their entire starting defensive line.

Ok, so I'm overwhelmed by the positive responses this post received. I'm thankful for every one, and I'm glad that people like my interest in studying football. I'm treading lightly here because it is so easy to sound like a douche, but...would there be any interest in me establishing a Patriots deep-dive blog for delivering this kind of content a few times a week? I've been kicking the idea around for a bit. I feel like it's bad form to ask, but given that this is likely the biggest and best aggregation of Pats fans, I would be curious as to your opinions.

Thanks!

Absolutely. You have a knack for explaining complicated stuff, as well as knowing it in the first place. Go for it, and thanks.

That helped but they are a very good rushing team, best in the NFL.

2011 NFL Team Rushing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

I fully expect them to run for 200 yards and lose the game.

No.

Only if you prefer quantity over quality...

They have the most yardage because they have the most attempts, not because they are the most effective PER PLAY rushing team.

They're good and one of the better rushing teams, but certainly not the best.

Absolutely. You have a knack for explaining complicated stuff, as well as knowing it in the first place. Go for it, and thanks.

Jays52 - Seconded. A 'deep-dive' blog would be AWESOME, and go on my 'must read' lists immediately.

What's our personnel deployment for this now that people have returned from injury?

Assuming Fox knows this is coming does the Decker injury impact his ability to counter?

I don't know what you mean by "deployment." But the two significant elements on defense are the return of Spikes and Chung who are very solid in run support.

I would be interested in seeing how Spikes and Mayo will be used. My thinking is Spikes will spy the run and Mayo will help jam the seams as the deep back (sort of a pseudo nickel if we are in cover 4). I think we'll play a lot of cover 3 (inverted safety) and 4s and very little actual nickel because of the run threat out of the option, and because we can trap out of those coverages. I'm not sure I'd want to see Ninko on the edge trying to seal it like he did last time. Against Denver, he is no match for their athletic and strong line.

Decker was not a big factor in the Denver game- he only had one catch. The big problem was Thomas, and we need to shut him down. I know BB will key on shutting him down.

I am sure Jay will put in his 2 cents and I look forward to it.

I don't know what you mean by "deployment." But the two significant elements on defense are the return of Spikes and Chung who are very solid in run support.

I would be interested in seeing how Spikes and Mayo will be used. My thinking is Spikes will spy the run and Mayo will help jam the seams as the deep back (sort of a pseudo nickel if we are in cover 4). I think we'll play a lot of cover 3 (inverted safety) and 4s and very little actual nickel because of the run threat out of the option, and because we can trap out of those coverages. I'm not sure I'd want to see Ninko on the edge trying to seal it like he did last time. Against Denver, he is no match for their athletic and strong line.

Decker was not a big factor in the Denver game- he only had one catch. The big problem was Thomas, and we need to shut him down. I know BB will key on shutting him down.

I am sure Jay will put in his 2 cents and I look forward to it.

Thanks PP. I'm trying to imagine who is out there and how it looks when they line up. Maybe "deployment" isn't the right word. We use it at work to describe how staff are allocated to different tasks. It seemed applicable.

By "reduced", does that mean that OLBs lineup inside the TE? if so, I'm imagining it looking very compact in the middle? Discouraging running through A and B gaps?

One of the reasons I love these threads is that I watch the game using a DVR. I like to pause, rewind and slomo looking for things that people talk about in these threads. The more I learn about football, the more I enjoy watching the game.

I also want to keep posting in Jays thread. Maybe an active thread will encourage him to return with his thoughts on how DEN will counter what the Pats were so successful at in the last game.:)

Last edited:
I've always been curious as to what the gap responsibilities are in the Pats 4-3. I usually, for better or worse, go off of the alignment; it looks like our guys often play head-on in the 4-3. So is that two-gapping? As if most of the line is playing 2-gap and I'll sometimes see just one guy on the line seemingly trying to shoot the gap.

I don't know if i'm way off, but it doesn't look like the Patriots just play the standard 4-3 where there is one tackle taking on two guys, and the rest are just shooting the gaps...

Thanks PP. I'm trying to imagine who is out there and how it looks when they line up. Maybe "deployment" isn't the right word. We use it at work to describe how staff are allocated to different tasks. It seemed applicable.

By "reduced", does that mean that OLBs lineup inside the TE? if so, I'm imagining it looking very compact in the middle? Discouraging running through A and B gaps?

One of the reasons I love these threads is that I watch the game using a DVR. I like to pause, rewind and slomo looking for things that people talk about in these threads. The more I learn about football, the more I enjoy watching the game.

I also want to keep posting in Jays thread. Maybe an active thread will encourage him to return with his thoughts on how DEN will counter what the Pats were so successful at in the last game.:)

Reduced line is when more players play closer to the line of scrimmage, as in a goal line situation. What you're talking about, e.g., OLB inside of the TE is simply a technique or shade, e.g., that OLB by lining up inside of the TE would be a 6-tech covering the C gap (off-tackle run).

Without 'quoting" jays entire post I must compliment him on doing a great job.

However( you knew this was coming) my eyes told me that Nick was getting sucked inside instead of setting the edge in the 1st quarter. It seemed as if the LB's were biting on Tebows play fake and then breaking contain most of the 1st quarter.

Not having watched a replay, that is how it appeared to me watching it live. Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong. And not only did Nink allow himself to get sucked in, but Denver took the CB out of the area with in routes and crossing routes. So once the ball carrier hit the edge it meant big chunks until the safety could com in.

Realistically we shouldn't expect the Patriots to shut the Broncos down. The Broncos had the best running game in the NFL and had success against the Steelers who has a superior run defense.

The Broncos were slowed by the Patriots defense eventually. But this was combined with the turnovers and pressure to keep up with the Patriots offense.

Scheme is important, the Patriots will have to play disciplined and understand their assignments but this game is much more of a gut check. Denver knows they are going to run the ball and so do the Patriots, time to man up. Once the whistle goes it becomes a battle of will. I hope the defense can rise up, a couple of good performances in the playoffs can erase a season of inconsistency and frustration.

Well to be fair....they didn't have much success running the ball until Keisel and Hampton went down. I believe they had 1 yard rushing at that point through 3 drives. Going off of memory on when Hampton went down. I remeber Keisel getting injured on the TD throw. And at that point they had 1 yard rushing.

They had 131 for the game on 34 carries or 3.9 YPC. Not great.

Great post Jay. I stated, in much less than your stellar manner, a lot of the same observations about execution. White and Fletcher were terrible in their run fits early on. And obviously Nink getting sucked in allowing the big runs to the outside.

And, their star RB was also knocked out; he has already been making statements that he's looking fwd for this rematch and so I expect him to be energized and give more than 100% this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST