PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The officiating sucks: 2016 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a website that grades the refs and keeps track of penalty statistics.
For example, how many roughing the passer calls does Brady get compared to other quarterbacks? That kind of information doesn't seem to be categorized and recorded.
32 fanbases would just love to read a neutral analysis on how their game got refereed I believe.
Did your team get hoses by the refs?
We need a website that says, yes or no.
Consistency.
Partiality.
No-calls vs calls.
etc
I thought there was a site, from the refs themselves, that had this information. Put out after a MNF game for the week. I believe it was posted here some time ago, perhaps during the replacement refs era. I asked in a post a couple weeks ago but it went unnoticed.

2 terrible calls by the corrupt, incompetent zebras on GB's last drive of the first half:
phoney-baloney PI against Chicago, then an awful spot after a GB completion.

Remember, this is a league that supposedly cares about player safety.

This is something that will continue to plague the league, so we should all strap in and get used to it.

Remember, this is a league that supposedly cares about player safety.

Anyone remember the ray ray send off superbowl? The one with a first half scuffle, that ended with a raven cb shoving an official? Not only was he not ejected, he didnt even draw a flag.

But hey, integrity.

Now I b!tch about the officials as much as the next guy, but I really don't believe there is any conspiracy even though it sometimes seems that way. However our current fascination with the officials is symptomatic of our societal predilection of needing to find BLAME whenever something goes wrong, whether there is blame or not. If something goes wrong we must find blame.

Now the fact is that the refs, for the most part do a really good job at something that gets harder and harder with every game. If you think about it, sometimes it's amazing they get it right the number of times they do. And I for one see NO advantage in having full time refs for 16-19 games a year. That is ludicrous. You wouldn't see a 5% improvement, and they would likely have to replace more than 8o% of the current ref staff.

When Brady (the GOAT) misses a wide open man, we don't rant and rave and demand his head for making the mistake. We move on to the next play. We adore and honor him we he completes 66% of his passes. When a ref hits on 98% of the correct calls in a game that averages 155 plays per game, we go nuts. So unless we can figure out a way to ref the games without humans, then mistakes (either of omission or commission) are going to happen. It comes with the territory. We, unfortunately, seem to have lost our tolerance for human error.

Every year, the idiots who supposedly run this operation, add new rules, and interpretations of old rules, and make the game much harder to play. Back in my day when officials were mostly invisible, they weren't better, it was just a much easier game to officiate. Plus when they screwed up, everyone, the fans, the players and the coaches quickly moved on. They all knew that eventually things evened out.

Now days it's accepted operating procedures for players to ***** about EVERY call....or non-call. When was the last time a receiver didn't get up off the ground looking for a call. Why do we all ANTICIPATE a flag after every incompletion, and are half surprised when there isn't one.

IMHO, most of the blame for this fiasco falls at the feet of the League. Who entrusts running the league's refs to a guy who has NEVER reffed a game on any level, just because he apparently knows the rule book. :rolleyes:

What happened to the Bills at the end of the first half was deplorable. But it happens Mistakes were made and the crew responsible should be responsible for a bad game, or rather a bad few moments, because they made some great calls as well.

BTW- 2 rules changes that would make everyone's lives better.

1. End the rule that allows QB's to intentionally ground the ball outside the Tackle box. That is patently unfair and essentially penalizes the defense for doing a great job. There has always been a rule against the QB simply throwing the ball away. BTW- it also penalizes the drop back QB, and rewards a more mobile QB. Simple call, and ends the questions and replays about whether he was a foot, one way or the other, inside or out of the box.

2. Get rid of the incidental contact foul on DB's. Bring the PI rule back to what it was back in my day. The ref has to believe the defender materially took away the receivers ability to catch the ball. I would also emphasise that the defender has an equal right to the ball and a right to his spot on the field.

Both these rules would make it easier for refs to call the game, simply by going back to the way the game was being called when we all fell in love with it.

"Now days it's accepted operating procedures for players to ***** about EVERY call....or non-call. When was the last time a receiver didn't get up off the ground looking for a call. Why do we all ANTICIPATE a flag after every incompletion, and are half surprised when there isn't one."

Right. But it's a cost-benefit analysis. It costs the player nothing to lobby for a call and if it works and they get a call, all the better for them.

Now I b!tch about the officials as much as the next guy, but I really don't believe there is any conspiracy even though it sometimes seems that way. However our current fascination with the officials is symptomatic of our societal predilection of needing to find BLAME whenever something goes wrong, whether there is blame or not. If something goes wrong we must find blame.

Now the fact is that the refs, for the most part do a really good job at something that gets harder and harder with every game. If you think about it, sometimes it's amazing they get it right the number of times they do. And I for one see NO advantage in having full time refs for 16-19 games a year. That is ludicrous. You wouldn't see a 5% improvement, and they would likely have to replace more than 8o% of the current ref staff.

When Brady (the GOAT) misses a wide open man, we don't rant and rave and demand his head for making the mistake. We move on to the next play. We adore and honor him we he completes 66% of his passes. When a ref hits on 98% of the correct calls in a game that averages 155 plays per game, we go nuts. So unless we can figure out a way to ref the games without humans, then mistakes (either of omission or commission) are going to happen. It comes with the territory. We, unfortunately, seem to have lost our tolerance for human error.

Every year, the idiots who supposedly run this operation, add new rules, and interpretations of old rules, and make the game much harder to play. Back in my day when officials were mostly invisible, they weren't better, it was just a much easier game to officiate. Plus when they screwed up, everyone, the fans, the players and the coaches quickly moved on. They all knew that eventually things evened out.

Now days it's accepted operating procedures for players to ***** about EVERY call....or non-call. When was the last time a receiver didn't get up off the ground looking for a call. Why do we all ANTICIPATE a flag after every incompletion, and are half surprised when there isn't one.

IMHO, most of the blame for this fiasco falls at the feet of the League. Who entrusts running the league's refs to a guy who has NEVER reffed a game on any level, just because he apparently knows the rule book. :rolleyes:

What happened to the Bills at the end of the first half was deplorable. But it happens Mistakes were made and the crew responsible should be responsible for a bad game, or rather a bad few moments, because they made some great calls as well.

BTW- 2 rules changes that would make everyone's lives better.

1. End the rule that allows QB's to intentionally ground the ball outside the Tackle box. That is patently unfair and essentially penalizes the defense for doing a great job. There has always been a rule against the QB simply throwing the ball away. BTW- it also penalizes the drop back QB, and rewards a more mobile QB. Simple call, and ends the questions and replays about whether he was a foot, one way or the other, inside or out of the box.

2. Get rid of the incidental contact foul on DB's. Bring the PI rule back to what it was back in my day. The ref has to believe the defender materially took away the receivers ability to catch the ball. I would also emphasise that the defender has an equal right to the ball and a right to his spot on the field.

Both these rules would make it easier for refs to call the game, simply by going back to the way the game was being called when we all fell in love with it.

If anything the increasingly complicated rulebook creates more of an argument for full-time officials. Players spend all week preparing for the game. A ref who works as a lawyer, or a farmer or small business owner is fitting the game into their weekend. Not sure that allows much time for study and preparation. Could we have officials present during team practices?

If anything the increasingly complicated rulebook creates more of an argument for full-time officials. Players spend all week preparing for the game. A ref who works as a lawyer, or a farmer or small business owner is fitting the game into their weekend. Not sure that allows much time for study and preparation. Could we have officials present during team practices?

Why do that when they could just significantly scale back the rulebook, abolish all the B.S. changes they've adopted over the last decade plus, and accomplish better officiating while improving the quality of the game on the field? That's the real answer here.

It would seem so, but you can't get to be an official in the NFL without knowing the rule book. That knowledge exists now, it won't get better they do it full time.

Clearly these guys know the rules. and being "full time" isn't going to expand on that or significantly reduce those rare errors where that comes in play.

Besides these "part time guys" have spent YEARS developing their skills and judgement in order to be even considered for the NFL. Like the players and coaches, these guys are the best of the best. AND just like those players and coaches, they F%ck up in the course of their time on the field, only with the officials they do it a hell of a lot less.

So the following site reviews all the controversial or interesting calls in each week's games - comes out at maybe one or two per game out of around 130 plays total. So that's not a terrible number given how much is going on with each play.

Quick calls: Week 9

You either have to make more of these potential flags reviewable (including non-calls) or you will continue to see a couple of missed calls each game simply because of human error. But making them reviewable will slow the game down still further.

Where you draw the line on what should be a foul is a delicate call. We all agree it should be consistent, but that is hard to achieve. Even if you make the standards for say holding and PI fouls tougher you may or may not get fewer flags as players will always push the envelope.

I really don't understand why players get taunting fouls - that to my mind is on the coaches as much as anything. Sure there might be a few cases like Gronk recently when the coach might let it slide because the 15 yards is an acceptable price for sending a message, but if coaches were tougher the taunting and celebration flags would stop.

The drop in viewership is the best thing that could happen to the game right now. Going to make the league pay attention and do some patching of the rules, the referees and their whole approach. Might even mark the end of Goodell.

Last edited:
So the following site reviews all the controversial or interesting calls in each week's games - comes out at maybe one or two per game out of around 130 plays total. So that's not a terrible number given how much is going on with each play.

Quick calls: Week 9
Thanks for the link as I have been looking for this for quite some time.

And the spots the criminally incompetent zebras gave Houston were atrocious. Unfortunately,
BO'B & Ozzweiner are absolutely awful, so they might have found other ways to lose anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes