PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tear up this coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offense is too predictiable.. O Brien was in over his head... welker was not missed, but would have been down the line... Too predictable...

Defense- no blitzing , poor tackling...

Special teams took a step back this year...

Belichick needs help and the guys he has now is not doing it now..

What you watched yesterday was the complete destruction of the Patriots.

The offense was predictable, the Ravens knew what play were being called by listening to the line calls. Brady looked disinterested, Moss was invisable, the running backs couldn't hit the holes and O line couldn't make many holes. The offensive line played well against the ok teams and baddly against the good teams. They don't run block all that well and against pressure up the middle they don't pass block at all.

The defense was better than the final score said it was, but it still didn't play well enough to win. We witnessed the difference between a finesse defense and a physical defense, and physical won. Is there any doubt that the linebackers for Baltimore are better by far than the linebackers for the Patriots? Belichick hasn't drafted that position well and it is showing. The defensive backfield is bad. The younger players don't show a whole lot of promise and the veterans are just OK.

Special teams have been a problem all year, and yesterday it killed us. It seemed that every time the Pats had a little momentum, a big special teams play sucked the mo right out of them.

We need:
Offense Coordinator - There is a problem here. Because of the scheme we use there aren't a whole lot of people available to fill the position. Obviously O'Brien isn't the answer.

Defensive Coordinator - The talent pool is better in this area. All I ask is aggressive.

Wide recievers - Moss disappeared the second half of the season. Welker/Edleman are pretty good, the rest are really ordinary to below ordinary.

Linebackers - Mayo? What the hell happened to him? The rest can be replaced by any of the other journeyman LB's out there, and that is the problem. It is time to either take advantage of the talent on the team or get new talent. Thomas can't be that bad, it has to be scheme. Burgess was a stud a couple of years ago, is he a bust or a victim of Dean Pees? What the hell are Eric Alexander and Pierre Woods doing on this team? There has to be upgrades to the backup LB position.

I have no idea how to fix these holes immediately, but getting new coordinators would be a good start, I think. Once we have them in place let them decide who is a good fit and who needs to be removed. One thing about this is that it should be an active offseason. If it isn't we amy not make the playoffs next year.

To think we had Dom Capers here last year and BB chose Pees over him.

From what I heard, there was some friction between BB and Capers last year. Maybe that's part of the problem with BB bringing in "senior" coordinators. He'll need to relinquish some control and let them do their thing. Sean Payton, Josh McDaniels and Mike McCarthy have no trouble giving total control of the defense to Greg Robinson, Mike Nolan and Dom Capers. If we bring in a top OC or DC, we need to give them some autonomy to run that side of the team, and not micromanage.

He was the offensive coordinator for Chan Gailey at GT, I guess that is where the system comes into place since Gailey runs something similar to what New England runs. However, the guy was the offensive coordinator for a team that went 1-22 over the span of two years, Duke. Two years later the guy is the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots, we need a Offensive Coordinator that knows what he is doing.

This is a perfect example of mis-information.

O'Brien was NOT the Offensive Coordinator. He was the QB coach. Yes, he called in the plays to Brady, but Brady also audibled quite a bit this year. More than previously.

As for Duke going 1-22, you blaming it solely on the guy who ran the offense there is so disingenuous, I don't even know where to start.

I fear that BB's ego is too big for him to admitt he made bad decisions with his coaching staff.

If you fear this, you know absolutely nothing about Belichick.

Ray Lewis was calling our plays at the LOS, you could hear him. "Red 40" was one he called, which he knew was a draw to Faulk.

If you actually listened to Simms/Nantz, you'd know that Lewis was calling out the plays based on what he heard from BRADY. Not because the offense was predictable.

Our play-calling is awful offensively. There's no variation (ironically the draw play was one that did work with some success yesterday, but only because Brady sold it so well and Kev ran like a machine). It isn't helped by the run blocking suffering whenever we go against a big front, and the receivers unable to get open.

We have to sort he schemes out so that the receivers get the ball in space. Other teams do it, why can't we?

The play calling isn't offensive, unless you are going to blame Brady since he was audibling more than usual this year. As I stated, there are issues with O'Brien. And I think many of those issues deal with the lack of trust that Brady has in him and the fact that he's only been with the team 2 years.

Brady, as much as anyone, can also take some responsibility for the lack of a rushing game since there were plenty of times he audibled off a rush and threw a pass to Welker instead. Brady is the leader of this offense and, as such, has to bear some of the burden for it not working.

The offense is too predictiable.. O Brien was in over his head... welker was not missed, but would have been down the line... Too predictable...

Defense- no blitzing , poor tackling...

Special teams took a step back this year...

Belichick needs help and the guys he has now is not doing it now..

I can agree that certain aspect of special teams took a step back. But some moved forward.

The Pats had the best punt returner in the league in Welker. They also allowed the fewest punt returns (20) and the least punt return yardage (180 yards). They also had 18 punts inside the 20.

Yes, their kick coverage was one of the worst, allowing 24.4 yards per return, but that is off-set by Gostkowski averaging 67.8 yards per kick which is UP from the 64 yards per kick he had last year while teams averaged 22.3 yards per retrn. I believe that a lot of this has to do with the turnover on special teams. Particularly losing Aiken for a few games and Arrington not playing the entire season.

Now, the Pats did have trouble returning kicks. And I believe a lot of that has to do with the new wedge rules that weren't really enforced and the turnover the Pats had at kick returner. They only had 54 kick returns this year, yet no player had more than 13 returns. They had 9 different players with kick returns though, to be fair, Stanback and Connolly had returns because the kicking team didn't want to put the ball deep. Matt Slater was the best returner who had more than 10 returns and he averaged 24.5 YPR. Brandon Tate, who only had 4 returns, averaged 265 YPR. I firmly believe that the inconsistency in players available led to the inconsistency in the return game.

This is a perfect example of mis-information.

O'Brien was NOT the Offensive Coordinator. He was the QB coach. Yes, he called in the plays to Brady, but Brady also audibled quite a bit this year. More than previously.

As for Duke going 1-22, you blaming it solely on the guy who ran the offense there is so disingenuous, I don't even know where to start.

Brady is not Manning when it comes to changing plays at the line - he has worked best when he has proper OC's doing that job for him.

Further when your QB clearly has no trust in the running game and wants to throw out of the gun again and again its time for someone to take the reins off him

Answer to all this is we need a OC desperately - to hell with schemes we are comfortable with- someone needs to come in and start again

Brady is not Manning when it comes to changing plays at the line - he has worked best when he has proper OC's doing that job for him.

Further when your QB clearly has no trust in the running game and wants to throw out of the gun again and again its time for someone to take the reins off him

Answer to all this is we need a OC desperately - to hell with schemes we are comfortable with- someone needs to come in and start again

I agree. That is why I had a thread a few weeks back about Brady missing McDaniels... McDaniels had earned Brady's respect and they knew how eachother thought. So McDaniels could reign Brady in when needed. Weis could do it because Weis was Brady's mentorand helped Brady develop into what he is today.

If you actually listened to Simms/Nantz, you'd know that Lewis was calling out the plays based on what he heard from BRADY. Not because the offense was predictable.

Right, it was from Brady. But "40" is an inside draw in the Pats' offense.

Right, it was from Brady. But "40" is an inside draw in the Pats' offense.

Doesn't change what Simms/Nantz said that Lewis told them.

Which means teams know what we're doing. The epitome of predictable.

You could hear Lewis saying "run", or "screen".

A team has problems when it's that obvious.

The play calling isn't offensive, unless you are going to blame Brady since he was audibling more than usual this year. As I stated, there are issues with O'Brien. And I think many of those issues deal with the lack of trust that Brady has in him and the fact that he's only been with the team 2 years.

Brady's not calling an audible on every play. And if he is then he has issues.

Our offensive play-calling has been very poor. There is no two ways of getting away from it.

Brady, as much as anyone, can also take some responsibility for the lack of a rushing game since there were plenty of times he audibled off a rush and threw a pass to Welker instead. Brady is the leader of this offense and, as such, has to bear some of the burden for it not working.

I don't disagree, but then the point is why's he calling an audible in the first place? Because he doesn't like the play?

Our choice of plays, the way we're game-planning, it's not been good enough. We had only 18 runs yesterday. Granted we were 21 down within about 90 seconds of the kick off, but you can't go away from the run, especially not that early. You have to mix it in, keep teams from teeing off on one aspect. That's how you build drives. It's Football 101.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't had time to read the whole thread but just wanted to say I agree wholeheartedly, BOTH this team's coordinators have got to go. The defense was a shell of its former self and the offense seemed like a deer in the headlights if Moss or Welker couldn't get open.

Posters can go to pretty much every team message board in the country and find complaints that the offense there is too predictable. That's for multiple reasons:

1.) People are idiots who think that 'predictable' is anytime they get a call correct. There are people who swear that they get playcalling correct every time even though teams use hundreds of plays. Coin flips are 'predictable', too but, even at 50/50, I've yet to meet anyone who gets it correct every time. Yet, somehow, there are millions of Americans who can nail every offensive play call made by their team.

2.) All teams have a base offense and, therefore, that base offense will have certain situational tendencies throughout a season. Self-scouting will limit this as a problem, but it's an inherent strength/weakness situation with any team.

3.) Some situations lend to certain types of plays, no matter what teams are involved. A team will generally throw on 3rd and 10, for example, but will also try a draw at times. So, when a team runs a draw and fails, everyone will swear that they knew a draw was coming. Well, since it's pretty much the only run most teams run from 3rd and 10 when a game's still undecided, of course it's the "predictable" run.

I think because so many of you geniuses have it all figured out, Coach B should hire you. I mean he would be an idiot not to -- you make it sound so easy. I am sure you understand contract negotiations, motivating players, I am sure you really know who is calling in all the plays, I am sure you completely understand what the change in player personnel has done to the team, I am sure that you fully comprehend what goes on in these players' and coaches' lives -- oh wait, is it inconvenient for you to remember that they have lives outside of football? Maybe you should trot down to a local factory and rally around getting one of those guys fired because you so callously call for people to lose their jobs. I am sure you are all stellar at your jobs, or maybe some of us should start message boards to demand that you be fired. I mean this horrible coaching staff did take the Pats to an undefeated regular season -- if only we could all suck this much.

I think because so many of you geniuses have it all figured out, Coach B should hire you. I mean he would be an idiot not to -- you make it sound so easy. I am sure you understand contract negotiations, motivating players, I am sure you really know who is calling in all the plays, I am sure you completely understand what the change in player personnel has done to the team, I am sure that you fully comprehend what goes on in these players' and coaches' lives -- oh wait, is it inconvenient for you to remember that they have lives outside of football? Maybe you should trot down to a local factory and rally around getting one of those guys fired because you so callously call for people to lose their jobs. I am sure you are all stellar at your jobs, or maybe some of us should start message boards to demand that you be fired. I mean this horrible coaching staff did take the Pats to an undefeated regular season -- if only we could all suck this much.

hopefully you're 1 and done on this board.

Have you ever considered seeking professional help?

Maybe two and done. Once I realized I was reading the blogs of people who work at Lowe's (because that is a difficult job), I realized what a overwhelming waste of time this all is. I guess I stick to figuring things out for myself.

God bless you and may you never have people like yourselves seeking your head.

Maybe two and done. Once I realized I was reading the blogs of people who work at Lowe's (because that is a difficult job), I realized what a overwhelming waste of time this all is. I guess I stick to figuring things out for myself.

God bless you and may you never have people like yourselves seeking your head.

Are your parents related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore