PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Supplemental Draft Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I wonder if MidwestPatsFan is around, he's an Iowa State fan :

"Jason Berryman, DE, Iowa State: At about 240 pounds, he's probably a linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. His Pro Day is already set for June 6 at Iowa State, and we'll have reports on that."

BelichickFan said:

"Jason Berryman, DE, Iowa State: At about 240 pounds, he's probably a linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. His Pro Day is already set for June 6 at Iowa State, and we'll have reports on that."

The problem with Supplementary Draft guys is that there's often a character issue that's forcing them to leave their NCAA team.

Berryman appears to be a great use of, say, a sixth round pick, but like you, I'd need to know more about his situation.

He's six two, 225 lbs. maybe not. He was all-state punter in HS though. That should count for something.

Edit...Hell no. This guys arrest record for a young guy is staggering. Turd central.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:

Jason Berryman is probably one of the most, if not the most, talented football player to come out of Iowa State to date. Unfortunately, he also is extremely immature as well. He was in jail for a year for beating up a student and then robbing him of his cell phone and then using it. Because of his talent, he was allowed back on to the team this past season where he began to show his dominance despite the lengthy layoff.

The final straw in his short career at Iowa State came when he snuck into a bar a week before his 21st birthday and was inderectly involved in another altercation.
Berryman has great NFL size and speed. If he could have kept his head on straight, I would have seen him as a faster version of Wille McGinest if I had to make an NFL comparison. Footballwise, I absolutely love this kid, hopefully he has learned his lesson with the off the field issues. He could be a monster if someone can get him disciplined.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
midwestpatsfan said:
Hope that helps.
Of course it does - thanks. Even if we thought this guy was redeemable, it's difficult to see a roster spot being used on him with that history.

It really is too bad. Like I said, he has some serious talent, but he brings about the same amount of baggage as Vick does. If he could have kept himself out of trouble, he could have graded out for an early day 1 pick.

He was sure fun to watch though. You could clearly see he was more talented than the competition he played against most of the time, and that is against the big 12.

Good luck to him

midwestpatsfan said:
It really is too bad. Like I said, he has some serious talent, but he brings about the same amount of baggage as Vick does. If he could have kept himself out of trouble, he could have graded out for an early day 1 pick.

He was sure fun to watch though. You could clearly see he was more talented than the competition he played against most of the time, and that is against the big 12.
I'd really love to have a shot in the dark with a guy like that. And based on what you've said I would be intrigued - but roster spots are just getting tighter and tighter, so I imagine he'll have to go somewhere else.

Bumping this to get the Spam post off the last post page.

Here's a third player who might get drafted. Given what he would cost (sixth or seventh), it might not be a bad option if there's room for him.

David Dixon, linebacker, Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College – Dixon, who was one of the top-rated defenders in the junior college ranks, failed to qualify academically at Kansas State, but he is noted for his speed and athleticism, running in the 4.4 range, leaping between 42 to 44 inches in the vertical jump and bench-pressing over 450 pounds. He had 161 tackles, including a total of 43 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, 8½ sacks and five blocked kicks, which gave him a total of 10 in just two years.

"He's the best athlete I have ever seen at this level", said longtime NFL scout Tom Marino of Dixon. "He's just not big into school work, but he has all the instincts, physical tools and natural talent to become a starting linebacker in the NFL one day."

Dixon just turned 21 years old this past February, so combined with his eye-opening workout numbers, impressive natural size (6-2, 245 pounds) and on-field talents, he should warrant a lot of consideration if he gains eligibility to July's draft.

There are two reasons these days that a player would be in the supplemental draft...

1) The player was kicked off his college team...

2) The player flunked out of his school...

Berryman is a perfect fit for the Bengals. He can room with A.J. Nicholson, and be mentored by Chris Henry...

wow reading about Brooks, Berryman and Dixon..they seem like great players. i really hope they matured and Bill saw something. Dixon..a 6"2 245 LB running in 4.4s and having a verticle of 40ish? damn!

When is the sup draft? I would be surprised if the Patriots waste a pick on these guys.

However, if they go undrafted they can be UDFA's and invited to camp. Nothing would be lost if they don't pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes