PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap Deadlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPats

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
There is a lot of talk of the Pats being something like $10 mill under the cap. I was just wondering up until what point can we prorate Seymour's contract and charge it to this season or adjust Brady's cap hit to save cap room for next season? Also is this deadline different from extending Koppen, Graham, or Branch? And lastly, how common are extensions during the regular season? I often hear people say that once football starts I want no more negotiations.

Just wondering if the deadline will be coming up soon or if we have 9 months to figure out the best way possible to use the space.

There are plenty of well-established techniques for moving salary cap dollars out into the future. Moving future dollars up into the present is a lot harder, it seems to me. Maybe change some NLTBE incentives to LTBE, or move future salary to the current year? But neither is a no-brainer the way, say, converting salary to bonus is. It would be a lot easier to draft some new front-loaded contracts for guys like Koppen and Samuel. Oh, and that wide receiver you might have heard something about...

Pats always keep some cap space throughout the season should they need to sign some available vet to replace someone who goes on IR. They also have the possibility of making a mid-season decision to redo or extend a player contract. The deadline (I don't know it) to use any cap $ is months away, late in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back