PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Risers and Fallers" from the Senior Bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Rob "Boomer" Rang writes a rising and falling column for NFLDraftScout.com -- a subscription draft site. My understanding is, any info from that site is not allowed to be posted on this board because of it's premium content. That said, Rob has this article on a free site, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]taking a look at 5 prospects who've helped themselves...and 5 whose stock has fallen at the Senior Bowl.

He has this to say about one CB I'm very high on:

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
California cornerback Daymeion Hughes makes the list despite missing the final three practices and the Senior Bowl itself. Hughes evoked memories of shut-down corners of past Senior Bowl weeks with his performance in man-to-man coverage the first two days of practice. Challenged on short, intermediate and long routes, Hughes' agility, instincts and fearlessness in coverage made him nearly impossible to complete passes against. Hughes' 40-yard time will determine just how high in the first round he is ultimately drafted.
[/FONT]

If Hughes runs a 4.4 forty, then he is sure to go in the first round. However I think the CB with the best ball skills in this draft and could work well in the PAts system is Revis of Pitt.
At the end of the day I think both Revis and Hughes will run in the 4.5-4.55 range.

Revas, Ross and Hughes all have very good ball skills and at least one if not all should be around when we pick. I know Ross and Revis also support the run well and tackle well. I haven't read anything about Hughes tackling and run support. The only game I saw him in this year was against USC and he was impressive in coverage.

I know Hall is highly rated but against USC and OSU he didn't impress me at all. Ginn and Jarrett were catching balls all day on him.

If Hughes runs a 4.4 forty, then he is sure to go in the first round. However I think the CB with the best ball skills in this draft and could work well in the PAts system is Revis of Pitt.
At the end of the day I think both Revis and Hughes will run in the 4.5-4.55 range.

Agree that they're probably not 4.4 guys, but because of their ball skills -- they don't have to be.

I imagine 2 CBs will go by #24...and currently that would be Hall and Revis. However, prospects value rankings will undoubtedly change by draft day...so it'll be interesting to see where all of these top DBs eventually end up.

I have never seen Revis play, and saw Hughes only in limited action vs. Washington State, USC and senior bowl practices. Make up speed is so critical at the NFL level with the 5-yard chuck rule enforced. While Hughes is agile and skilled, he played exclusively zone in college, and vs. USC made Steve Smith, a solid receiver but relative slow-poke, look pretty fast. At the senior bowl vs. mid rd receiving prospects he looked good in one on one drills, but I doubt BB will draft a cb with sub-par make up speed and burst in the 1st rd.
As for Revis, if he runs a reported 4.54, he seems like more of a FS prospect than a cb, whatever his balls skills may be. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Revis and Hughes drop into the early 2nd rd, and maybe a Jonathan Wade, AJ Davis, Josh Wilson or Chris Houston (not to mention Aaron Ross), the speedsters, jump up into the 1st rd, ahead of Revis and Hughes, after the combine and pro days.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Revis and Hughes drop into the early 2nd rd, and maybe a Jonathan Wade, AJ Davis, Josh Wilson or Chris Houston (not to mention Aaron Ross), the speedsters, jump up into the 1st rd, ahead of Revis and Hughes, after the combine and pro days.

Revis and Hall are the names right now. But every team will have a preference among the CBs -- the Pats included. Those names above fall into the second tier of CBs (before workouts), leading one to believe that one (or more) could be available at #28. If we select a non-CB position at #24 -- we should start considering one of those listed with our second pick...

Any thoughts on him?

Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Carriker used his outstanding combination of size, quickness, power and technique to overwhelm offensive linemen throughout the week of practice and in Saturday's game. At nearly 6-foot-6, 292 pounds, Carriker can play defensive end in a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme. With so many teams now using hybrid versions of both systems, his versatility is especially appealing. Don't be surprised if Carriker is one of the top 20 picks of the upcoming draft

Any thoughts on him?

Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Carriker used his outstanding combination of size, quickness, power and technique to overwhelm offensive linemen throughout the week of practice and in Saturday's game. At nearly 6-foot-6, 292 pounds, Carriker can play defensive end in a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme. With so many teams now using hybrid versions of both systems, his versatility is especially appealing. Don't be surprised if Carriker is one of the top 20 picks of the upcoming draft

My thoughts on him are:

It's likely the Pats have him highy rated, and if he slid to #24, he'd be a BPA candidate along with another player or two. Would Pats fans be shocked if he were the selection?

My thoughts on him are:

It's likely the Pats have him highy rated, and if he slid to #24, he'd be a BPA candidate along with another player or two. Would Pats fans be shocked if he were the selection?
I'd be happy with that choice.

Unless the Pats were planning on moving Carriker to OLB, then yes, I would be very surprised if they drafted him. Again, it goes back to value groupings. I don't think that the need factor for a DE in the Pats defense is high and therefore, it will drag down the value of any 3-4 DE.

The Pats have a LOT of money in the D-line between Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Green and Seymour. And they have a TON of talent. The talent there allows them to go short there and be able to carry extra LBs and DBs.

I think that the need part of the BVA analysis will weigh CB and LB more because of the issues the Pats have there currently.

Unless the Pats were planning on moving Carriker to OLB, then yes, I would be very surprised if they drafted him. Again, it goes back to value groupings. I don't think that the need factor for a DE in the Pats defense is high and therefore, it will drag down the value of any 3-4 DE.

The Pats have a LOT of money in the D-line between Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Green and Seymour. And they have a TON of talent. The talent there allows them to go short there and be able to carry extra LBs and DBs.

I think that the need part of the BVA analysis will weigh CB and LB more because of the issues the Pats have there currently.

Yeah, I agree. Adam Carriker made himself a lot of money at the Senior Bowl. I would fall off my chair if there were 23 players taken before him. But even if he did, I agree, with Bruschi and maybe Harrison in their possibly last year in '07, DB and LB rate pretty high. After all, we really needed a DL after Ted Washington left, and we took Ty Warren. Andruzzi left and we took Mankins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference