PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: LB Jonathan Casillas acquired by Patriots from Tampa Bay at trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He's a good linebacker," said Mark Dominik, the former Bucs general manager who signed Casillas. "[He] will provide real depth and is a top-tier special teams player."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/patriots-trade-buccaneers-lb-casillas

White should worry since he is a ST LB like White; but Cassillas can play some regular Defense too.

BB always seems to allocate the 5th or 6th position in the LB corps to a ST LB. The LB corps has been completely finished now. We now have the young starters, the young vet starter quality reserves, and the necessary ST LBs too.

The LB corps is beginning to resemble the outstanding depth of the secondary.

Some comments on the comments:

1. Never heard of Casillas before tonight. So initially my first reaction was "meh". However after reading more about him on this thread, my expectations have risen somewhat.

2. In today's NFL you cannot have too much speed, and according to reports, this kid excells at speed.

3. At little cost we acquired a player who can play special teams, fast enough to cover a move TE, and get to the QB fast on a blitz.

4. Expecting to play without CJones, a guy like Casillas become a potential blitz threat because, like we saw last week, Patricia is going to have to create pressure from schemes as much as individual effort. Speed and quickness can be very useful when blitzing off the edge or coming late on a delayed blitz.

5. TE's have feasted so far, so his potential to cover TE's could free up the much bigger Collins to blitz.

6. Mark Barron is a perfect exemplar of the "right player in the wrong era" syndrome. Being a strong safety is a dying position in a pass happy league. Their snaps are slowly being taken by cover safeties and/or those new-fangled hybrid LB/S types that are becoming all the rage.

7. Bottom Line, this trade was a more of a typical bottom of the roster move BB makes all the time, except it cost us a mere 12-15 slots on the 3rd day of the draft. If someone said the trade was for Justin Tuck, I might have been excited. Instead this seems like a nice bottom of the roster pick up with some upside potential and very little risk. After reading more about the kid, I like it marginally more than I did when I first read about it. Something to discuss for a day or two and move on to more important subjects

New guy Jones has made some big hits
On ST one size does not fit all. BB uses the slightly heftier ST LBs for other things, e.g. like wedge and wedge busting. He always seems to dedicate as pot or two for them in his LB corps.

Guess you missed the part about it being the comments of a FORMER Bucs GM.. The current regime is cutting players that the old regime had brought in.. Is that really too hard for you to understean?

But then again there is no way Licht didn't dangle Barron in front of BB.

It stands to reason that BB called Schiano about Barron and it looks like what he said was most not very positive.

Given all that, I think that he is closer to bust than victim of a regime change.

Yes, but didn't he return to practice last week? How much longer does a finger take to heal?

Yeah, I was on the "maybe Ebner gets IRed" bandwagon until about a minute ago, when I recalled he's been kept around for a few missed games already and, more important, it's just a finger.

Not sure if this was posted but Schiano recruited Casillas when he was 18 and playing at New Brunswick High School, a 5-10 minute drive from Rutgers. :)

Some comments on the comments:

1. Never heard of Casillas before tonight. So initially my first reaction was "meh". However after reading more about him on this thread, my expectations have risen somewhat.

2. In today's NFL you cannot have too much speed, and according to reports, this kid excells at speed.

3. At little cost we acquired a player who can play special teams, fast enough to cover a move TE, and get to the QB fast on a blitz.

4. Expecting to play without CJones, a guy like Casillas become a potential blitz threat because, like we saw last week, Patricia is going to have to create pressure from schemes as much as individual effort. Speed and quickness can be very useful when blitzing off the edge or coming late on a delayed blitz.

5. TE's have feasted so far, so his potential to cover TE's could free up the much bigger Collins to blitz.

6. Mark Barron is a perfect exemplar of the "right player in the wrong era" syndrome. Being a strong safety is a dying position in a pass happy league. Their snaps are slowly being taken by cover safeties and/or those new-fangled hybrid LB/S types that are becoming all the rage.

7. Bottom Line, this trade was a more of a typical bottom of the roster move BB makes all the time, except it cost us a mere 12-15 slots on the 3rd day of the draft. If someone said the trade was for Justin Tuck, I might have been excited. Instead this seems like a nice bottom of the roster pick up with some upside potential and very little risk. After reading more about the kid, I like it marginally more than I did when I first read about it. Something to discuss for a day or two and move on to more important subjects

Very good thoughts, Ken. A few comments:

1. I followed Casillas when he was at Wisconsin and when he first came out, and was quite high on him. He was considered a possible safety conversion, like Wes Woodyard. Not someone that the Pats would have considered in 2009 as a LB given our style of defense at the time, but someone who was interesting as a possible big safety. William Moore from Missouri (6' 221#, 4.49 40, 6.81 3C, 37" VJ) came out that year and ended up going to the Falcons in the 2nd round; Casillas was someone who had similar size and speed who was on the radar as a possible safety conversion. He fit nicely into New Orleans' 4-3 scheme.

2. Casillas as a speedy cover LB or LB/S gives us another player who can match up against TEs. That allows the Pats to be more creative with Jamie Collins, instead of always needing to use him in coverage. Collins, Casillas and Akeem Ayers all have solid coverage ability.

3. If we are playing the game predominantly in sub, then Casillas fits nicely as a nickel LB/S. Add Ebner in as a dime LB/S, and you have some ability to match up without completely selling out the ability to defend the run.

4. I confess that I haven't followed Casillas closely the past few years, so I don't know if he still has his speed and coverage ability. But I assume BB has a lot of info on him from Schiano and Revis.

5. I agree with your Mark Barron comment. He was a high draft pick and a big name, and a lot of people were high on him, but I think that he has been too much of a liability in coverage. We don't need another of those. Ultimately, I think that BB decided that he wasn't enough of an upgrade over Pat Chung to warrant a trade.

I'm certainly not expecting huge things from Casillas until I see more. But I think it's a nice low-key move which could work out. If not, the cost is low.

Last edited:
One more thought. Compare Casillas to Seattle's Malcolm Smith (6' 226#, 4.44 speed). Smith allowed Seattle to stay in BASE for most of the SB against Denver, without giving up much in terms of speed, range and coverage ability. That could be very useful.

I don't know, a 5th rounder? A little expensive, they could have swapped a 6th for him and a 7th, or anything on this range. In the 5th round you can expect to draft a solid player, we already traded the 5th from last year on Sopoaga.

I don't know, a 5th rounder? A little expensive, they could have swapped a 6th for him and a 7th, or anything on this range. In the 5th round you can expect to draft a solid player, we already traded the 5th from last year on Sopoaga.

Read my post above. The gap between NE's 5th and Tampa's 6th is minuscule, equivalent to a mid 7th.

I don't know, a 5th rounder? A little expensive

I think you missed a piece -- NE is getting Tampa's (high) 6th back as well.

anything that gets skinner off the field...so now your lbers are

Hightower, Collins, Ayers and Casillas as depth.

Not bad. I like Belichecks moves so far. plus. have we ever taken a player from tampa bay that HASNT worked out? they are like our farm team.

He seems to fill a need - LB depth. We've needed that since Spikes left.

Serviceable. This points to the writing being on the wall for Skinner. Back to PS.

EDIT: I am in error. We waived Barker instead.

Well the writing WAS on the wall for Skinner after he turned in a horrendous game this past Sunday, as I figured, but he was cut for Branch, not Casillas.

Wait... hold on a second. Did you just say we acquired Jonathan $%*! Casillas? Oh yeaaaah! Championship!!! Book your Superbowl tickets now! ^_^

:);):);):)

The Master strikes again! BB robs the Bucs and giveth to the Pats!!

Belichick: Casillas has been a four-down player

https://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/belichick-casillas-has-been-four-down-player

FOXBORO -- When the Patriots traded a fifth-round to Tampa Bay for linebacker Jonathan Casillas and a sixth-rounder before Tuesday's trade deadline, they were acquiring a player with whom they were quite familiar.

Not only had Patriots coach Bill Belichick and his staff had an opportunity to watch Casillas play in games for the Saints (2009-12) and Buccaneers (2013-14) -- the Patriots played the Saints in 2009 and against the Bucs in 2013 -- but they also saw the 6-foot-1, 227-pounder practice for extended periods of time.

Before the 2012 and 2013 seasons the Patriots held joint training camp practices with New Orleans and Tampa Bay.

"We've known, watched Jonathan for a while," Belichick said Wednesday. "Athletic, smart guy. Has played defense -- four-down player -- played defense and in the kicking game. Been a productive player in New Orleans and Tampa. Played against him, practiced against him. I have a lot of respect for him, his experience, and his versatile skills."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST