PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rambling comments about things already hashed and re-hashed, Super Bowl LI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrious

Rookie
Reaction score
Nothing new here.

It's amazing to me how much went wrong during LI, and I'm talking about after they were down 27-3. At that point, in order to come back from such a deficit, you'd think that everything would have to go right. But it certainly did not.

The first, of course, is the blocked PAT/missed call by the refs. That play might have been the spark that started it off. Actually, maybe getting jobbed by the refs was a good thing. Apparently it didn't matter either way. 28-3.

After that, there's a whole list of issues that would have made a lesser team crumble; the missed PAT, the stalled drive that led to a field goal, the botched onside kick, the Edelman double pass, the amazing catch by Jones.

Do I sound like a glass-half-empty kind of guy? I'm really not, or at least I don't mean to be. When I hear people say that the falcons lost this one, I focus on everything the Pats had to overcome, and all the the great plays they made, to complete the greatest comeback ever.

This helps to explain why Belichick has worked so hard to improve the team this offseason. He knows that the Patriots were outplayed for 3 quarters of that game and that the Falcons were quicker and faster than the Patriots.

This helps to explain why Belichick has worked so hard to improve the team this offseason. He knows that the Patriots were outplayed for 3 quarters of that game and that the Falcons were quicker and faster than the Patriots.

I felt like the falcons just couldnt sustain the level of play. Also, it seemed like the pats finally figured out the scheme. On top of that they made some coaching errors. I also saw an awful lot of Atlanta getting away with holding.

Last edited:
Yeah, while the fun reaction is to bring the SB winning team back, there was no doubt in my mind that BB would look at that team as starting to age out (and talent out to some extent) that would need some re-working. I'm very confident the 2016 team wouldn't win the SB in 2017.

That said I watched the highlights of each game last night and it was sad to see Long, Ryan, Bennett, (probably) Butler, (maybe Blount), etc, all having so much fun and now be gone. But that's life in the NFL, especially with the Patriots.

Belichick says to himself, "What do I have to do to get to the championship game and win it." Fans say, "What do we have to do so that I don't have to worry about our chances of winning the Super Bowl."

I think there's more difference between these two than we realize.

Do not agree with the narrative that the Pats were outplayed for the first 3 quarters. There is no question that the Falcons were in control through 3 quarters but if not for a couple turnovers and one or two additional plays by the Pats the first half score would probably have been closer to 17-10 or so. The 1st and 3rd quarters were both fairly evenly played. Once the Pats were able to deal with the pass rush (due to a combination of OL adjustments and the Falcons D getting tired) they were off to the races. The Pats ended up with over twice the number of first downs and nearly double the time of possession.

On Offense only, and the Raptors were crowing about it. But true essentionally.

I felt like the falcons just couldnt sustain the level of play. Also, it seemed like the pats finally figured out the scheme. On top of that they made some coaching errors. I also saw an awful lot of Atlanta getting away with holding.

Yeah, on the drive where Tom threw the pick I remember they started to call that and there were 3 defensive holding penalties against Atlanta.
Code:
New England Patriots at 08:48
5-M.Bosher kicks 65 yards from ATL 35 to end zone, Touchback.
1-10-NE 25
(8:48) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 88-M.Bennett to NE 37 for 12 yards (32-J.Collins, 22-K.Neal).
1-10-NE 37
(8:12) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Edelman.
2-10-NE 37
(8:07) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep middle to 80-D.Amendola.
3-10-NE 37
(8:02) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 28-J.White to NE 45 for 8 yards (45-D.Jones; 59-D.Campbell) [93-D.Freeney]. PENALTY on ATL-23-R.Alford, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at NE 37 - No Play.
1-10-NE 42
(7:34) 29-L.Blount left tackle to NE 42 for no gain (92-J.Vellano; 95-J.Babineaux).
2-10-NE 42
(6:53) (Shotgun) 28-J.White right end to NE 49 for 7 yards (23-R.Alford).
3-3-NE 49
(6:10) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to 11-J.Edelman [59-D.Campbell]. PENALTY on ATL-34-B.Poole, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at NE 49 - No Play.
1-10-ATL 46
(6:01) 29-L.Blount right end to ATL 45 for 1 yard (94-T.Jackson).
2-9-ATL 45
(5:20) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 33-D.Lewis.
Timeout #1 by ATL at 05:16.
3-9-ATL 45
(5:16) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Edelman [59-D.Campbell]. PENALTY on ATL-34-B.Poole, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 45 - No Play.
1-10-ATL 40
(5:12) (Shotgun) 29-L.Blount up the middle to ATL 40 for no gain (77-R.Hageman).
2-10-ATL 40
(4:36) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 88-M.Bennett to ATL 27 for 13 yards (30-D.Olatoye).
1-10-ATL 27
(3:59) 33-D.Lewis right guard to ATL 23 for 4 yards (59-D.Campbell).
2-6-ATL 23
(3:23) 33-D.Lewis left guard to ATL 23 for no gain (97-G.Jarrett).
3-6-ATL 23
(2:36) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left intended for 80-D.Amendola INTERCEPTED by 23-R.Alford at ATL 18. 23-R.Alford for 82 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

In many ways they were NOT outplayed by the Falcons. Even when the Pats were getting killed, they had more yards, had run more plays, had more time of possession. They made three enormous mistakes that cost them: the Blount fumble when they were moving the ball well, the very uncharacteristic Brady pick-six, and the Bennett holding penalty that cost them a touchdown and made them settle for a field goal.

All three of those plays happened, but two of those were uncharacteristic things (Blount fumble and Brady pick-six). All told, they cost NE 17 points on the offensive end, and directly led to 7 points for Atlanta (the pick-six).

So while the Falcons were dominating the scoreboard, the Patriots were moving the ball well all game long.

Of course, the final game stats are totally lopsided except for the score.

Yeah, on the drive where Tom threw the pick I remember they started to call that and there were 3 defensive holding penalties against Atlanta.

All of which were legit. And on the Pats' last drive of regulation, where Brady "nearly" threw a couple of INTs, they absolutely mugged Edelman and Amendola on a couple of plays and no call. So it was a clear strategy of their all game, to hold and grab and such, and hope that you don't get called for it too much.

The other team always gets away with a lot of holding though.

On the flip side, the Pats were moving up and down the field without problems in the 1st half. 2 Turnovers in the red zone were very atypical for this team. Best case scenario, they score 2 TD on those drives, worst case scenario 2 FG, but no pick six, and thus worst case scenario is the Pats are down 14-9 at the half, or potentially up 17-14.

At some point, performing the 'impossible' needed some luck, but at the same time like you mentioned, missing PAT, missing on side kick, JJ making an unbelievable catch that almost squashed the comeback, converting 2 consecutive 2 point conversions, strip sack, pushing ATL out of field goal range etc was amazing to watch but at some point everyone has to concede that skill, and execution probably played a major roll in that impossibility.

I look back, and it was the mental fortitude not to panic, not to press and just execute. Basically it was what BB has been preaching to these players all season(s), and at some point instinct took over because it had been grilled into them all season.

Of course Brady being un freaking believable, and non-stop hammering the ATL defense had something to do with it. 550 yards offense, that is almost Madden numbers. He did it to Seattle 2 years ago, and that gets forgotten because of the defensive stand, but Brady was godlike that game as well, against an amazing defense.

I would not be afraid to go out on a limb and say, no QB in history does what, or is capable of doing what Brady did. Living in AZ, with everyone being transplants and cheering for their 'home team' I get incredible grief (my best friends are Colts and Steeler fans, my brother-in law loves the Giants) for being a Pats fans, and for the 1st time in decades, everyone of them stated that SB LI was the most amazing thing they saw, and everyone admitted that Brady was inhuman, and without the doubt the GOAT. Sure they grumble that an elementary school football coach probably has better clock management than Quinn/Ryan, or that they take a knee 3 times and kick a FG, but I keep reminding them that Quinn is a 'veteran' coach being in multiple SB's, Ryan was the league MVP, they were the best the NFL could muster against the Pats, and they still crumbled under pressure. Human nature is to crumble under pressure, and there is no greater pressure than the SB when a good part of the world is watching you. It makes what Brady did even more amazing.

Yes i know im biased as all hell on the penalties. A holding on atlanta when the pats do it is simply a savy veteran play...when atlanta holds its systematic cheating in my mind

All of which were legit. And on the Pats' last drive of regulation, where Brady "nearly" threw a couple of INTs, they absolutely mugged Edelman and Amendola on a couple of plays and no call. So it was a clear strategy of their all game, to hold and grab and such, and hope that you don't get called for it too much.
On the other side, the DPI call on Campbell defending Bennett when Brady was trying for the winning touchdown from the 15 yard line was not completely obvious to me. Aikman said it was the right call as defender DeVondre Campbell didn't turn around to make a play on the ball. Campbell also had his hand/arm up in Bennett's face but he didn't hold Bennett. I thought at that moment in the SB the zebras may let that one go. Glad they didn't of course. Campbell at 40 seconds in the video below says he thought he made a great play (of course).

I thought the zebras did a good job overall in SB LI.

Do not agree with the narrative that the Pats were outplayed for the first 3 quarters. There is no question that the Falcons were in control through 3 quarters but if not for a couple turnovers and one or two additional plays by the Pats the first half score would probably have been closer to 17-10 or so. The 1st and 3rd quarters were both fairly evenly played. Once the Pats were able to deal with the pass rush (due to a combination of OL adjustments and the Falcons D getting tired) they were off to the races. The Pats ended up with over twice the number of first downs and nearly double the time of possession.

That's our reaction as fans... "If not for turnovers.. if not for this play or that play, etc." I doubt coach Belichick sees it that way. Even when the Pats moved the ball against the Falcons in the first half, it was a struggle. Their running game was non-existent and the windows in the passing game were very tight. Drives stalled because the Patriots offensive line could not block for more than 2 seconds while at the same time, Patriots receivers had trouble getting separation.

Belichick and Caserio went out in free agency and got better athletes. A taller, more athletic corner (Gilmore), a more athletic edge rusher (Ealy), a taller, faster, more athletic wide receiver to stretch the field (Cooks). Waiting for the other team to get tired and counting on our team to play a magical 4th quarter (that's not sarcasm, it truly was magical) is not a good strategy to win football games.

What I saw in the Super Bowl and also against the Texans in the Divisional round, was a Patriots team that had more experience than their foes, but one that was also slower, both in terms of speed and quickness, and overall less explosive.

As good as their free agency signings have been, I am still concerned about the offensive line and the linebackers. I would feel better if Belichick signed a guy like Nick Mangold for insurance. Maybe they can draft a linebacker in this year's draft to improve depth and build for the future.

They were, I think, CERTAINLY outplayed for three quarters, but it DIDN'T MATTER. It didn't matter to the players, and in the end it didn't matter when it came to winning the game. I'm not sure why this was so, but it was no fluke: it has something to do with the sort of team Belichick builds, or tries to, each year and every day.

The Falcons executed, made plays and forced turnovers.

The Patriots did some nice things but turned the ball over and didn't execute when they had chances.

The were down 28-3

If that isn't the definition of being outplayed in the NFL I don't know what is.

Once they started executing and making plays they turned it around.

Right. Atlanta thought they had it won..or they couldnt sustain.

They said that half time killed the

I just noticed this critical play with 5:00 in the game.

The Falcons were pinned deep, but hit Freeman in the flat. The Pats failed to cover him, and Elandon Roberts and another player collided and fell down. Freeman took off down the sideline, juked one CB and was on his way to a TD, when Roberts tracked him down.

Nice bit of hustle that hasn't been mentioned much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe