PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question regarding QB gesturing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Seems like Brady is more Peyton-like in his pre-snap routine as each season progresses. He is calling a lot more audibles and shifting assignments. It seems as though very few QB's do this as much as Tom and Peyton. My thoughts are that it is a sign of good game and time management where you can make last minute adjustments (and throw in a red herring or two) - all before the play clock expires.

Are my observations on the mark? Why don't more QB's spend more time doing this?

Live Pats or Die said:
Seems like Brady is more Peyton-like in his pre-snap routine as each season progresses. He is calling a lot more audibles and shifting assignments. It seems as though very few QB's do this as much as Tom and Peyton. My thoughts are that it is a sign of good game and time management where you can make last minute adjustments (and throw in a red herring or two) - all before the play clock expires.

Are my observations on the mark? Why don't more QB's spend more time doing this?

Brady makes alot of pre snap adjustments,and always had(except 1st year he took over from beldsoe).
This year he might seem to be making more but I think it's only because of a new group of wideouts.
Manning is less than subtle while making adjustments(to be polite)
(He thinks every pre snap adjustment is a new endorsement for somebody;)
Everybody does it,It's just veteran qb's reconize matchups better,and their coaches are more likely to trust them.

HAMMERMILL said:
Brady makes alot of pre snap adjustments,and always had(except 1st year he took over from beldsoe).
This year he might seem to be making more but I think it's only because of a new group of wideouts.
Manning is less than subtle while making adjustments(to be polite)
(He thinks every pre snap adjustment is a new endorsement for somebody;)
Everybody does it,It's just veteran qb's reconize matchups better,and their coaches are more likely to trust them.

Manning's is annoying only because of that urgent arm flap thing he does. The robo-chicken. It's so aggravating.

This is where the fans in the seats can impact a game. I remember being in invesco field for the playoff game last year, if you wanted to tell the person next to you something you had to shout in their ear. When Brady had trouble communicating the adjustment, the fans just got louder. Unfortunately we have no such advantage at the Razor.

It is totally different. Brady goes to the line with a play called holding the ability to audible to one that looks like it will work a little better. I don't know, but I would be willing to bet that the plays that are audibled to are preset before coming to the line.

Manning is given a call that includes three plays, then he goes to the line, sees how the D is lined up and communicates to everyone which of the three plays is actually called. Manning's chicken dance is much more conspicuous because it needs to be. He is essentially audibling on every play.

Edited to add: This is a large reason why NE has had so much success against the Colts. By keeping the ultimate D call hidden until the ball is snapped, Manning's ability to know what the D's weaknesses are presnap is compromised. For all his great ability to read a D presnap, his postsnap reading was much less developed. From what I can see, he is improving in the area, though.

Last edited:
Oswlek said:
It is totally different. Brady goes to the line with a play called holding the ability to audible to one that looks like it will work a little better. I don't know, but I would be willing to bet that the plays that are audibled to are preset before coming to the line.

Manning is given a call that includes three plays, then he goes to the line, sees how the D is lined up and communicates to everyone which of the three plays is actually called. Manning's chicken dance is much more conspicuous because it needs to be. He is essentially audibling on every play.

I agree with you. Peyton does throw in some extra pointing and waving that means absolutely nothing as well, just to mix things up a bit. If you have seen any Bengals' games, Palmer does some gesturing and play calling at the line as they tend to run the no huddle quite a bit.

D-cleater said:
This is where the fans in the seats can impact a game. I remember being in invesco field for the playoff game last year, if you wanted to tell the person next to you something you had to shout in their ear. When Brady had trouble communicating the adjustment, the fans just got louder. Unfortunately we have no such advantage at the Razor.
I'm thinking maybe Kraft should go to the league and demand that opposing teams all wear earplugs. Hey, it works for the Colts all the time, it's worth a shot. :D

There is one big difference this year, and it has to do with losing receivers who were familiar with the offense and the QB.

Most of Tommy's pre-snap "gestures" that you see are simply recognizing the defense and adjusting the protection. However this season, it appears that he's doing more. The reason is that while there would be a second option coming to the line last year, the expectation was that it would be a silent read- ie, Tommy is counting on Branch/Givens to recognize the coverage and read their coverage the same way he is, and adjust accordingly. This year, he's calling out the changes to ensure everyone is on the same page.

Oswlek said:
.... This is a large reason why NE has had so much success against the Colts. By keeping the ultimate D call hidden until the ball is snapped, Manning's ability to know what the D's weaknesses are presnap is compromised. For all his great ability to read a D presnap, his postsnap reading was much less developed. From what I can see, he is improving in the area, though.

Sounds very insightful.

workhorse said:
I agree with you. Peyton does throw in some extra pointing and waving that means absolutely nothing as well, just to mix things up a bit. If you have seen any Bengals' games, Palmer does some gesturing and play calling at the line as they tend to run the no huddle quite a bit.
Serious question horse, does Peyton ever snap the ball without the theatrics? I don't see him as often as you do, it just seems like he does it on every single play. But maybe I just recall it that way because I think he does.

CTPatsFan said:
Serious question horse, does Peyton ever snap the ball without the theatrics? I don't see him as often as you do, it just seems like he does it on every single play. But maybe I just recall it that way because I think he does.

I'm sure he does,but just like bigfoot,or ufo's just haven't seen it:D

Live Pats or Die said:

Matt Hasselbeck does it a lot also.

What's the gesturing for?

Live Pats or Die said:
seems clear that the OLs, especially the inside 3, can't see what/who he's pointing at. so who is the pointing supposed to benefit?
IMHO they are back to the old street-corner "i got him" and "whos got him?" and "watch no.95".
anybody illuminate the sutuation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes