PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Uniforms

Bah. As a 27-year season ticket holder my opinion holds sway.

Self-RighteousMan.jpg
Like Kraft. Sorry Drew's not in the HOF.

Where is Phil Bissell when we need him most???
Clearly there is a huge contingent which welcomed the menu change to Soylent Green in 1993 and has now become beholden to it with the success this century.

The filet mignon, crab rangoon, caviar etc. delicacy smorgasbord including healthy staples like fruit, salad and vegetables is now demonized as unhealthy gluttony from a miserable time best forgotten.

Grogan, Hannah et al. are denigrated and insulted the way Dreith and Tatum should be.

It's funny, "loserville" is exactly what comes to mind every single solitary time I see the team in the makeover since 1993, no matter how many Super Bowls we go to.

Don't know if it's intentional how you quote Orthwein there. Lots of people will be equally happy I suppose if the American flag is likewise put in the rear view mirror.

Sorry to bother you with facts, but the logo is historically accurate with an appropriate anachronistic sport specific pose. And the color scheme was established for 33 years. Um, were you in the stands on September 23, 1979? If so did you sit and stew while everyone else cheered our logo?
God bless you APF, no one can ever accuse you of wavering when it comes to the red unis. I just see red jerseys and think redcoats (British Army), with whom the original patriots did battle in BLUE uniforms. So, you might say Orthwein corrected a 33-year mistake.

Starting in 1779, George Washington ordered that uniforms for soldiers in the Continental Army consist of blue coats, white waistcoats and facings of varying colors. Each state regiment in the Continental army had different colors for the linings, buttons and facings.

Uniforms-and-weapons-of-the-Continental-Army-lithograph-by-Henry-Alexander-Ogden.jpg

The Pat Patriot logo looks dated, its illustrative cartoon style reflective of its time (late '50s-early '60s). But that's just my opinion. And no, I wasn't there in 1979.

Being an old geezer, I love the old Patriot’s uniforms circa 1975-76. That’s when I became a fan. But I LOVE the uniforms from 2000-19, to me, those are legendary uniforms, championship uniforms. I was so angry they switched from those to the current garbage they wear now.

Being an old geezer, I love the old Patriot’s uniforms circa 1975-76. That’s when I became a fan. But I LOVE the uniforms from 2000-19, to me, those are legendary uniforms, championship uniforms. I was so angry they switched from those to the current garbage they wear now.
Sorry, if some chick wins six Miss Universes with tats and piercings I'm not gonna be interested.

the original patriots did battle in BLUE uniforms
...as correctly depicted in our real logo.

The American cowboys were not decked out in white with blue trim wearing blue stars.

The 49ers of the Gold Rush were not attired in solid red shirts with gold trim.

The workers in Pittsburgh did not go to the steel mill adorned in black with yellow trim. And Republic Steel was based in Cleveland.

So, you might say Orthwein corrected a 33-year mistake.
Orthwein committed the mistake/atrocity, insulting and denigrating a 33-year tradition and history, empowering all franchise derision and the false laughingstock narrative.

The Pat Patriot logo looks dated
The Pat Patriot logo looks awesome
its illustrative cartoon style reflective of its time
its illustrative cartoon style is timeless

If the Patriots had indeed been terrible as the media and all who believe them attest, decades long fans could still have been rewarded by seeing their team win it all as they always rooted for them, a privilege which those in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas and Green Bay were not denied.

The difference now is that 1) the team has now won in the disgusting replacements and in the minds of many this legitimizes them, and 2) it's now been 29 years and Kraft would have them look like this forever if he had his way. Because he's the boss!

But the Patriots were not terrible. One poor season in 1981 and three poor quarterbackless seasons from 1990-92 is astronomically better than over a dozen other teams who really were hapless over the same time.

If the Celtics adopted a new permanent uniform and logo for some stupid reason like they aren't Irish, or leprechauns, it would embolden and empower all the Boston/Celtics haters just as the Patriots haters have been.

OK, have they sold enough uniforms in this Buffalo-Bills-Takeo-Spikes-era-style to go back to the Patriots-championship-era uniforms? And if you hated the silver shoulder stripes of the championship era, it's OK to change the color, but perhaps now that you've sold a few of the new ones, you can go back a l'il bit. After all, a Mac Jones champions era uni will sell like hotcakes, which means more $$

God bless you APF, no one can ever accuse you of wavering when it comes to the red unis. I just see red jerseys and think redcoats (British Army), with whom the original patriots did battle in BLUE uniforms. So, you might say Orthwein corrected a 33-year mistake.

Starting in 1779, George Washington ordered that uniforms for soldiers in the Continental Army consist of blue coats, white waistcoats and facings of varying colors. Each state regiment in the Continental army had different colors for the linings, buttons and facings.

View attachment 32840

The Pat Patriot logo looks dated, its illustrative cartoon style reflective of its time (late '50s-early '60s). But that's just my opinion. And no, I wasn't there in 1979.
The regular Continental soldier wore a blue coat with red cuffs. Musicians, on the other hand, wore a red coat with blue cuffs. The red made them stand out on a battlefield where visibility was limited. It also made them stand out to the enemy, so if they were discovered, it was immediately clear that the small figure ahead was a musician — unarmed and not a threat (drummers were considered noncombatants). As an added bonus, the inverted uniforms were made from leftover materials in creating soldiers’ garb.
1643686998315.png

They also wore green, buff, brown.... and yes, red. There was an attempt at a standardized blue uniform as was previously stated. In 1775, the Continental Congress's stated color was....brown:)

The idea of a consistent use of blue uniforms is therefore, largely inaccurate. We just didn't have the money.

‘64 were the best ones imo (blue-white-blue shoulder Stripes) , but the white current ones are great.

The silver alts are cool

They should get rid of the double stroke (silver and red) on the numbers, really ditch the silver altogether.

Last edited:

View attachment 32840

I feel like they could easily re-illustrate the pat patriot, bring back an update of the old school wordmark and it would hit.

Think jags logo, the colts new number font, etc.

1643688999751.jpeg
1643689037161.png

thanks for bumping this thread... I need to add the 2021 uniforms to it, and edit some of the earlier uniforms... think i managed to come across some pics of the early 60's uniforms that are better pictures than the ones in the current graphics... the issue is finding them... pretty sure they aren't labled by year, but by player

Last edited:
They also wore green, buff, brown.... and yes, red. There was an attempt at a standardized blue uniform as was previously stated. In 1775, the Continental Congress's stated color was....brown:)

The idea of a consistent use of blue uniforms is therefore, largely inaccurate. We just didn't have the money.

Different colonies also wore different color schemes; but the designated color of the topcoat for MA & other NE units was blue.

Prob one of the worst unis in football.
Titans, Jags, Rams, Dolphins, Jets, Seahawks, WTF and Chargers are contenders with the Pats.

Yep, blue... by 1779, by which time, we'd already been fighting for four years. The original color was brown in 1775. So, what do you want to qualify as 'official' or 'designated'?

The Continental Army lacked the funds to outfit every soldier in blue in 1779.

My point is that to put out this narrative of blue as seemingly the only color the Continental armies wore is misguided.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back