PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots QBs before Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brief flashes of competence from Plunkett and Eason.
Honorable mention to Plunkett; the team didn't do him any favors (except trading him before he was killed). I think of Eason as after Grogan although they were basically contemporary.

Eason had 3 good seasons imho

Grogan stayied more

Incredible that in the last approx 25 years we were so lucky to have the greatest one Brady and a good one Bledsoe

He was a bad ass but lets stop short of anointing him as a great QB

I liked Grogan, tough as nails, but his Int's always seemed to come at inopportune times..

He threw for 182 TD's and 208 Int's in the regular season..

In the playoffs he threw for 3 TD's and 7 Int's...

He really wasn't. He was tough as nails, a terrific athlete, but never an "absolute stud". He never made a single pro bowl, never made all-pro, and only one time in his entire career did he lead the NFL in any major passing category: 1979, he led the league with 28 touchdown passes. (he did lead the league in 1980 in yards per attempt, but that's the kind of stat that never gets seen by the public really)

He was a very good runner though. From 1976-1979 he rushed for 1,628 yards, 6.1 yards per attempt, and a whopping 20 touchdowns. So definitely gets credit for that. But consider 1979. He threw for 3,286 yards, ran for 368 more, but got sacked for 341 yards in losses. So he accounted for 3,313 total yards. That was his best season overall. And it was a fine season. But even then he threw 20 interceptions and had 12 (!) fumbles. So in his best season production-wise, he committed *32* turnovers.

So we all love Grogan and in his day was a perfectly fine NFL quarterback, and I have many fond memories of him. But he was never an "absolute stud".
This is a textbook case of numbers not telling the story - in any way, shape or form, except for the rushing records.

A succession of egregiously wrong noncalls and calls which specifically prevented one team from winning a game [and gifted it to the other] is what prevented Steve Grogan from accomplishing the exact same thing Tom Brady did in his sophomore pro season.

I personally believe that bad events often start a chain of subsequently bad ones [Celtics fail to keep James Posey>KG needlessly injures himself two months into the season] and in 1978, losing Darryl Stingley for ever from another in the endless line of cheap shots by the same crybabies who stole the title from you at the same venue was the equivalent of the 21st century Pats losing Troy Brown forever on a cheap shot in 2000.

Just take a moment and think about how that would change everything for us.

So, anyway after Julius Adams goes down for the season in Week One, by the time the playoffs arrive vs. the Oilers Grogan is hurt and hobbling. That may have happened anyway, because in the 70's we played on a concrete surface, and we [led by Hog] played physical.

Which brings us to how Grogan responded to the litany of painful injuries to still play, and play very well, in leading the Patriots to upset victory, after upset victory, after upset victory.

That's all he did in the 80's. Time after time after time. The decision was made to go with Eason in 1983, and Berry obstinately held to that until the ship finally went down and at least three title opportunities were wasted. But every time he was called upon, Grogan led the team to victory. Through sheer determination, by using his intellect, experience, and knowledge, he got that Patriots team of the 80's to reach its potential. His leadership unquestionably inspired the defense and special teams as well, just as Brady inspires his teammates today. I rate Steve over guys like Morrall, DeBerg, etc. because he possessed the qualities and intangibles to win a championship - as a young, strong 2nd year kid or an old, beat up afterthought nine years later. The list of quarterbacks he defeated in his career is basically a list of the best ever [only one I can think of he didn't beat was Staubach].

The Patriots of the mid-80's were much better than the early-80's. Grogan is the guy I wanted starting, and when he did, he won. He's a championship level quarterback.

I appreciate Grogan as much as the next guy, but he was not "an absolute stud" in his day. He had great moments and was a ferocious competitor, but he wasn't nearly as good as we wish he was. That's just the truth.

Bledsoe was a darn good QB. Gave the Pats a legitimate pro bowl caliber QB. Unfortunately he will always be overshadowed by Brady. That's who he is compared to.
At the risk of appearing sacrilegious, one might say that Bledsoe was John the Baptist to Brady's ************.

Last edited:
Bledsoe to Brady for me.

Really enjoyed watching Bledsoe play. He had a rocket arm and could throw deep passes with ease. When he had a running game, he had an awesome play action fake, which is a lost art in today’s NFL.

And let’s not forget the Bledsoe to Coates connection, deep passes to Terry Glenn and Shawn Jefferson and 3rd down machine Troy Brown– loved it!

Last edited:
It's impressive that there have only been nine long term (i.e., more than a season) quarterbacks in the team's history.

The first QB I remember was Tommy Hodson, TH13. He went 1-11. Being born in 82, I was 8 or 9 at the time, and I remember thinking, wow, quarterbacking is really hard, and even though Hodson sucked in retrospect (1-11 as a starter), I thought it was awesome watching him play just because he was the quarterback. Looking back now at pro-footballreference, looks like I missed Marc Wilson, who went 1-9. Epic TOURCH passing from Wilson to Hodson.

I remember the 91 season because my dad was all excited about "Coach Mac" **** MacPherson, and he was this old guy who got really excited. Improved from 1-15 to 6-10 under the great Hugh Millen, HM7. Looking back, I wonder what the twitter world would have done with poor Hugh since his name is just ripe for some type of "humiliation" nickname. Millen came crashing down to earth in 1992 with an 0-7 start, and there was a trio of bad QBs in Millen, Hodson, and Zolak all competing for the starting job. They were all terrible, but at the time I thought one of them must be good.

Of course there was the immortal Scott Secules, who started four games in Bledsoe's rookie year and went 0-4.

So of course when Bledsoe was drafted, I thought he was probably the best QB of all-time.

ICYMI, there is a (in my opinion) a good bit on Hodson in this post once you scroll down:

Today in Patriots History Thread

In their defense, football is by far the ultimate team game.

That's not to say they would have been superstars.

Ironic that we as a society collectively critique an individual's achievements and success based on the wins and championships of that player's teammates, coaches and owners.

i remember thinking, in the early 90's, man we may have struck gold with this Hugh Millen guy, coming off the debacle that was rod rust, he won 5 games... Oops lol

then the full on reality hit the next season... guy made us cheer for Zolak to come into games... lulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes