PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - your most impressive athletic achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 on the money list for my handicap in my golf league last year with a whopping $120.

Won town's little league title in 1981. I pitched and played shortstop.

Won HS chess tournament.

My life is complete.:p

I was the starting wing on the first National Dekhockey Champion, Cadet Division (16-18, iirc).

National Champions!

Of course, there were only four leagues - two from MA, one from Jersey, and one from PA.

but hey, if USA baseball can call it the World Series, then d%#*!@t, we were NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! (My jacket said that, too.)

Oh, and I played on the state champion softball team and competed in the East Coast World Championships. At 22, I was the youngest guy on the team.

This was back in the day of wooden or single-walled aluminum bats...

In Little League I was headstrong, but a good player. I took calculated chances that always worked, much to my coach's chagrin. For example, I once got a single with no chance to make it a double, but I went to 2nd anyway with the ball waiting for me. I feigned slowing down and taking of my helmet before diving under the second baseman; safe. I knew the kid had no clue about a force vs tag play and I educated him the hard way.

Being a bit mouthy too, I told the coaches that I was as good, if not better, than any of the teams' regular pitchers, it's just that they never let me pitch. One game we had a good lead so they told me to pitch the last inning. It was the heart of the order and I struck out the side. I walked one kid who fouled off about a million pitches.

They never let me pitch again...what's up with that?

As an adult, I enjoyed being an outstanding runner without looking like one. In the Navy, we had to run 1.5 miles annually under a certain time. I ran under 8 minutes three times, and was 5'4" and about 175 pounds at the time.

So they finally opened up the first golf course in Cambodia after 25 years or so of civil war and other badness. All the bigshots were getting into it, but they were starting from scratch. A bunch of us who were expatriates there doing development aid stuff used to go out regularly and play on Sundays, drink beer, good times.

One day, they decided to have the first official tournament, calling it the "Chea Sim Open" after the Acting Regent and one of the triumvirate of leaders at the time. We were friendly with everyone so they invited us to play. Had a good day, shot an 82, went in the clubhouse and one of my wife's uncles who worked security for the Prime Minister asks me "how'd you shoot?" Told him and he goes "I think you won". Sure enough look at the leader board and they'd all conspired to pretend to shoot 84 so that Chea Sim would win his own tournament with a pretend 83. Next thing you know, Chea Sim is handing me a trophy and a new set of counterfeit golf clubs in a bag on national TV and I'm the first national golf champion of Cambodia.

So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Still working my way towards that moment of glory ...

1eqFSrO.gif
uncle-rico-o.gif

So they finally opened up the first golf course in Cambodia after 25 years or so of civil war and other badness. All the bigshots were getting into it, but they were starting from scratch. A bunch of us who were expatriates there doing development aid stuff used to go out regularly and play on Sundays, drink beer, good times.

One day, they decided to have the first official tournament, calling it the "Chea Sim Open" after the Acting Regent and one of the triumvirate of leaders at the time. We were friendly with everyone so they invited us to play. Had a good day, shot an 82, went in the clubhouse and one of my wife's uncles who worked security for the Prime Minister asks me "how'd you shoot?" Told him and he goes "I think you won". Sure enough look at the leader board and they'd all conspired to pretend to shoot 84 so that Chea Sim would win his own tournament with a pretend 83. Next thing you know, Chea Sim is handing me a trophy and a new set of counterfeit golf clubs in a bag on national TV and I'm the first national golf champion of Cambodia.

So I got that going for me. Which is nice.
Great story!

Define athletic achievement. I have a feeling you do not count stuff from my time as captain... of the chess team. :)

I played chess in HS as well. Also did hoop, XCountry and baseball

Clearly it's not athletic but it's a competitive as hell.

I loved playing sports in HS but I basically sucked. Made a couple of all-star teams in little league and got run over daily in football but both were good times. I wrestled but I think I only won one match.

While in the Army I completed Air Assault school which was probably the most physically demanding thing I've done in my life. To get into the school you had to race 6 miles in combat gear which included a backpack and a fake M16. Out of 300 people I got the sixth spot out of the 65 available. Immediately after the run we (the 65 qualifiers) had to run through an obstacle course in combat uniform, soaking wet and covered in mud. In between each obstacle there were lines of people waiting to get on the next obstacle and during the wait you had to either do push ups, sit ups, flutter kicks, run in place or jumping jacks depending on what the drill instructor commanded. We spent approximately two hours on that course and by the time we finished we were down to 45-50 people. Immediately after the obstacle course we again got coated with mud and began to run. The rule was simple. If you fall out of formation and behind the trailing instructor you're out if stay in the formation you're in. They ran until they cut us down to thirty people. We lost the majority of the people after we passed the starting point. Everyone was thinking "we're almost done......I can see the finish line", but they kept going and a flood of people just said "F this" and fell out. The next day I woke up and could barely move.

To finish the school which was physical all the way through you had to complete a 15 mile timed tank trail march/jog/run/fall/trip. I made it and graduated which included getting my Air Assault badge slammed into my chest without the dammits (pins into the skin) by a hard core airborne ranger. (blood wings). Hoorah.

After that I picked up my multimeter and went back to troubleshooting radars. :D

Man that's awesome. Thank you for your service.

I was a pool rat from the time I was in 2nd grade. Loved to swim every chance I got. The HS swim coach wanted me on the team, but I had too many other school and work commitments. But I kept swimming whenever I could. I played CB for one year, and lettered in Tennis my senior year.

Long story short, I joined the navy after college and I passed the swim quals as a "Swimmer, 1st Class" in Boot Camp. Next thing I know, I'm off to Aircrew School for my rate, and end up qualified as a SAR Swimmer. My 1st two tours were with Patrol Squadrons as an airborne sensor systems operator, but I keep up my swim quals. The 3rd duty station, I'm an analyst, but assigned to the base rescue helo crew, and practice with them a couple days a week.

It was a good gig. :)

I played chess in HS as well. Also did hoop, XCountry and baseball

Clearly it's not athletic but it's a competitive as hell.

Yeah, I still play chess some,usually online. When I was in my early 20's I used to work with ex-cons.( helped them get job training, GEDs,etc). Some of em were really good chess players. I guess lotta time on their hands some of these dudes read every chess book out there, knew tons of openings and defenses.

I was a pool rat from the time I was in 2nd grade. Loved to swim every chance I got. The HS swim coach wanted me on the team, but I had too many other school and work commitments. But I kept swimming whenever I could. I played CB for one year, and lettered in Tennis my senior year.

Long story short, I joined the navy after college and I passed the swim quals as a "Swimmer, 1st Class" in Boot Camp. Next thing I know, I'm off to Aircrew School for my rate, and end up qualified as a SAR Swimmer. My 1st two tours were with Patrol Squadrons as an airborne sensor systems operator, but I keep up my swim quals. The 3rd duty station, I'm an analyst, but assigned to the base rescue helo crew, and practice with them a couple days a week.

It was a good gig. :)

Thanks for your service Gwedd.

I happen to be great at this one basketball shot. From legally in court I shoot behind the backboard and it goes over the backboard through the net.
You're name is Jerry West.

Relax, we all know.
th

Did the Tough Mudder last June. Ran 10 mIles up and down Mt Snow while climbing walls, crawling through mud, swimming in ice water and walking through electrical wires. Did it in under 3 hours, and drank 8 beers after finishing.

I'm doing it again this June, and I plan on improving my performance.

My goal is to drink 10 beers this time

I loved playing sports in HS but I basically sucked. Made a couple of all-star teams in little league and got run over daily in football but both were good times. I wrestled but I think I only won one match.

While in the Army I completed Air Assault school which was probably the most physically demanding thing I've done in my life. To get into the school you had to race 6 miles in combat gear which included a backpack and a fake M16. Out of 300 people I got the sixth spot out of the 65 available. Immediately after the run we (the 65 qualifiers) had to run through an obstacle course in combat uniform, soaking wet and covered in mud. In between each obstacle there were lines of people waiting to get on the next obstacle and during the wait you had to either do push ups, sit ups, flutter kicks, run in place or jumping jacks depending on what the drill instructor commanded. We spent approximately two hours on that course and by the time we finished we were down to 45-50 people. Immediately after the obstacle course we again got coated with mud and began to run. The rule was simple. If you fall out of formation and behind the trailing instructor you're out if stay in the formation you're in. They ran until they cut us down to thirty people. We lost the majority of the people after we passed the starting point. Everyone was thinking "we're almost done......I can see the finish line", but they kept going and a flood of people just said "F this" and fell out. The next day I woke up and could barely move.

To finish the school which was physical all the way through you had to complete a 15 mile timed tank trail march/jog/run/fall/trip. I made it and graduated which included getting my Air Assault badge slammed into my chest without the dammits (pins into the skin) by a hard core airborne ranger. (blood wings). Hoorah.

After that I picked up my multimeter and went back to troubleshooting radars. :D

Didn't know you were at happy Fort Campbell. I had orders to go there and they were changed at the eleventh hour. Great story; I would like to have tried my hand at Air Assault school, so I have to tip my hat to you. As for your last line, it's interesting to meet soldiers from different MOSs, like 42A, that came out of Campbell with wings.

Probably the thing I'm most proud of as far as individual athletic accomplishments, I'd have to put an 8-mile ruck qualifier I did in July 2015 at the top. It was part of a selection process to deploy with a SOF unit; 8 miles, 50 pounds dry, ACH, FLC, rubber ducky (fake M4), in 86:32. And then went overseas and never wore a uniform, let alone a **** ton of combat gear.

On the sports side, I did hit a home run off of Michael Cuddyer when we were both 12 years old, so that's cool(?) o_O

Ran the 440 in HS. Played Intramural & CYC Basketball too. No High School hockey, but played a lot of pond hockey and sometimes playing in rinks rented with friends at 1,2, 3 am. Played in rec volleyball leagues for 10 years or so. Resumed hockey in a large rec league at age 37. Worked up from C level to A level play before back injury put serious limits on my ability to compete. Just stopped playing last year due to back & age (61.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand