PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone watch the Mic'd Up version of the SB? You can hear Brady telling his boys "we know what they're doing, correct" and everyone agrees. They had the KC D figured out and could've put 40+ on them if they wanted to. The Bucs D had Mahomes figured out as well. For all the complaints about the Bucs coaching, the team was well prepared and confident for the game.

Missed this article. Tom and Gronk had quite a few days off it seems.

I’ll eat crow about Arians. I had assumed that by being “a player’s coach” we were taking about dysfunction, dumb penalties, stuff like that. I really don’t care about stupid crap like OTAs, days off, adults running laps...the important thing is: is the team disciplined on Sunday, are they conditioned, and is the morale good?

As Florio notes at the end: There’s more than one way to win a championship in the NFL. Both Belichick and Arians have found formulas that worked for their individual teams.

Belichick’s inflexibility was clearly a problem with Gronk. Maybe Brady too. Control and uniformity has pros and cons, much like Arians’s approach has pros and cons.

Anyone watch the Mic'd Up version of the SB? You can hear Brady telling his boys "we know what they're doing, correct" and everyone agrees. They had the KC D figured out and could've put 40+ on them if they wanted to. The Bucs D had Mahomes figured out as well. For all the complaints about the Bucs coaching, the team was well prepared and confident for the game.

My favorite part was after halftime they show multiple players saying something like, "Let's do this" and then show Brady " have got any hand sanitizer?". Haha

I'm not ranking the kicker, so here's how I'd rate the group in terms of targeting priority....

1. Godwin
  2. David
  3. Gronk
  4. Barrett
  5. AB/Suh
  6. Suh/AB

AB is a wild card, but TB12 seems to love him, so I put him on the list. And I could see Barrett moving down the list, either because he asks too much or because the Bucs feel other pass rushers will spring free.

Why do you have Godwin so high? Even without Evans that WR core is very good no add in AB and there still elite without paying two WR’s stupid money. They literally can’t replace what David does there no linebacker out there, David/White is arguably the best foul in the league they can’t lose him he’s too important

1. NOT a fan of breaking the bank for Godwin. He was dropping balls left & right in 1st 3 playoff games.
Get a moving the chains over the middle WR as a replacement.
2. Can't stand Jones at RB. Can't catch a pass. Runs hot and COLD. Goal line failure a prime example of why he cannot be relied upon 3rd and short, a key metric. Fornette so much better in 2020. Mystifying why Jones was played over Lennie. I think because coaches see Jones as a Big Play guy which may be correct but the drought between big plays is intolerable and you forfeit 3rd and short.
3. Replace $$$ Barrett via $$FA or draft an edge rusher.
4. Add competence at DB via draft or FA.
5. Keep White.

Great write-up here from King on the 5 big offensive plays from the Super Bowl.

Brady to Brown, stop route, KC up 3-0, 3:14 left, first quarter. Classic Brady favorite. He torched the Atlanta secondary four years ago in the comeback Super Bowl win with stop routes. Receiver runs what looks like a go route, puts his foot in the ground, turns back and catches the ball two or three yards shy of where he stopped. Brown sprinted 19 yard down the ride sideline, Charvarius Ward in tight coverage, Brown stopped, ball already in the air . . . Brown caught it 16 yards past the line of scrimmage. Looked so easy. And it is—if you’ve practiced it a hundred times. Which very likely they had done.

Brady to Gronkowski, flat-screen route, KC up 3-0, 0:41 left, first quarter. “Byron couldn’t wait to call this play,” Christensen said. “We were so sure it’d work.” This is something I’d never seen—Gronk the tight end in fast motion, right to left, in front of the quarterback, in motion as a receiver and not as a seal-blocker cutting off the edge-rush. You can see on replay defensive end Frank Clark anticipating Gronkowski cutting off his motion just after the snap to seal him off from rushing Brady; Clark girds for contact from Gronkowski, and the contact never comes. Gronkowski, swift from a soft practice year coming out of retirement, turns to Brady for the soft toss, and he turns upfield for the easy 8-yard touchdown. How many touchdowns in his tremendous career has Gronk done this—sprint motion, catch in the flat, score, without being touched? Well, never. When Gronkowski got to the bench after the play, he was excited, like a kid. “That’s so cool!” he said. “I always wanted to run that route! No one’s ever called that play for me before!”

Brady to Gronkowski, improvised route, Tampa up 7-3, 6:11 left, second quarter. At the KC 17-yard line, Gronkowski was supposed to run a corner route—to the back right corner of the end zone. But he was closely guarded by cornerback L’Jarius Sneed, who had outside leverage. (Meaning it’d be fruitless to run to the right corner, because Sneed would be all over Gronkowski.) “Now it’s just playing ball,” Christensen said. “Tom and Gronk have had to do this a lot in their career. The defense had the perfect design. They get paid too.” Gronkowski knew to turn left, across the back of the end zone, and Brady knew that’s what Gronkowski would do. As soon as Gronk began trolling the back of the end zone, Brady released a line-drive spiral exactly 32 yards in the air. It was on Gronk before KC could help Sneed. Touchdown.

Brady to Brown, improvised route, Tampa up 14-3, 0:10 left, second quarter. The idea was for Brady, under center at the 1-yard line, to play-action to Fournette, and turn around and fire to Brown, single-covered by Tyrann Mathieu, alone two-yards deep in the end zone. Brown was supposed to run a different route to get to the spot, but you can see on replay why he did what he did. Mathieu had no help behind him and Brown figured with a hard jab step to the right coming off the line, Mathieu would have to respect an outside throw. For a split-second, Mathieu jabbed with Brown—just long enough for Brown to be able to box out Mathieu. Brady fired it low, and Mathieu didn’t have time to deflect it away. “There’s something to getting an A in recess,” Christensen said. “Tom and Antonio are on the playground there, and the play doesn’t happen the way you’ve designed it. But they’ll figure it out, because they’re parks-and-rec players.”

Fournette run, Tampa up 21-9, 7:45 left, third quarter. When I asked Leftwich for his favorite play of the game, he picked this one. “That Leonard Fournette run in the third quarter was something that was really set up throughout the game,” he told me. “What they were doing defensively . . . the great thing for us, we had a lot of things that we talked about throughout the week that showed up in the game. It was just amazing, all the conversations we had for two weeks, and how the game turned out on Sunday evening.” Leftwich wouldn’t say what exactly he saw, but it’s likely that on Fournette runs to the right of center earlier in the game against certain Kansas City defensive looks, the Bucs would have a totally open second level. So if they blocked it right and opened a gap, Fournette would have an open field ahead. That’s exactly what happened, and that was the game.

Two Chief bullets from King on his "10 things I think I think" list:

2. I think I’ve been thinking about the Super Bowl losers quite a bit this week, and this occurred to me: What if the 49ers stopped 2-3 Jet Chip Wasp last year? With 7:13 left in the Super Bowl against San Francisco, KC trailed 20-10 and had third-and-15 at its 35-yard line. This was four-down territory for Kansas City, but just imagine for a minute the Niners actually covering Tyreek Hill on that 44-yard pass play from Patrick Mahomes, and then stopped them on fourth down. I doubt Kansas City’s winning that game. And certainly the mystique of that offense doesn’t carry into this year.

3. I think the numbers are stark: In 16 drives over two Super Bowls—six last year through 51 minutes, 10 this year through 60 minutes—the Chiefs scored one touchdown. Lots of ifs and buts in life and in football, but with some of the trouble KC had scoring down the stretch this year, and with those 111 shaky Super Bowl offensive minutes, I’ll hold off on the Chiefs-as-next-dynasty talk.

Those complaints were well-justified.
But ya gotta give credit where its due. Coaches did a helluva job. Reid was
outcoached and Mahomes was out-qbed.
Bucs dominated both sides of the ball.
Going into the hame, I think a lot of us
were confident, myself included. They were playing extremely well down the stretch and in the playoffs. I fekt like the Bucs would win but in a much closer game. The only reason for my caution
was my belief the Bucs coaching staff
would make a pile of dumb moves. Instead it was Reid who screwed up.
Was fun to watch.

were confident, myself included. They were playing extremely well down the stretch and in the playoffs. I fekt like the Bucs would win but in a much closer game. The only reason for my caution
Was fun to watch.
Only mistakes I remember was the Jensen bad snap (player) and the 3rd/4th down runs at goal line (coach/player?). Even in that 4 down goal line series, they had an easy TD to the dude that didn't know what to do. Play design was beautiful but not executed by player.

Was fun to watch.

Arians and Bowles clearly read our thread. Lol. Seriously though, all of us amateurs just kept pounding away all season at doing exactly that on offense. Way more quick passes/screens on first down and run out of shotgun...using the stud WRs as decoys to open up the middle of field, get guys open in isolation/YAC, short misdirection screens, less Ronald Jones....we all said that would lead to these open lanes. Tampa Bay was able to do whatever they wanted to opponents all season because of their talent level but often took the more difficult path of working from the outside-in.

On defense, that was really impressive though. It wasn’t just two high safeties but that they put them way, way back there, sometimes rushed two and dropped the DEs into coverage to take away the middle, rushed corners, and played a really disciplined containment scheme. I don’t think any of us thought they’d be that unorthodox and take the mad scientist/genius approach. Bowles really did a good job for much of the season.

The Bucs were 14-1 in games where Brady had <2 interceptions and 1-4 otherwise. That goes to who just how horrible Winston was with his 30 INTs. Only loss was that flukey 20-19 Bears loss where the defense played really well. In fact, I don’t remember a time all season where the defense failed in crunch time. Bowles deserves a ton of credit, and for excellence, not just competence.

Arians and Bowles clearly read our thread. Lol. Seriously though, all of us amateurs just kept pounding away all season at doing exactly that on offense. Way more quick passes/screens on first down and run out of shotgun...using the stud WRs as decoys to open up the middle of field, get guys open in isolation/YAC, short misdirection screens, less Ronald Jones....we all said that would lead to these open lanes. Tampa Bay was able to do whatever they wanted to opponents all season because of their talent level but often took the more difficult path of working from the outside-in.

On defense, that was really impressive though. It wasn’t just two high safeties but that they put them way, way back there, sometimes rushed two and dropped the DEs into coverage to take away the middle, rushed corners, and played a really disciplined containment scheme. I don’t think any of us thought they’d be that unorthodox and take the mad scientist/genius approach. Bowles really did a good job for much of the season.

The Bucs were 14-1 in games where Brady had <2 interceptions and 1-4 otherwise. That goes to who just how horrible Winston was with his 30 INTs. Only loss was that flukey 20-19 Bears loss where the defense played really well. In fact, I don’t remember a time all season where the defense failed in crunch time. Bowles deserves a ton of credit, and for excellence, not just competence.

Question for the forum. Is it still cover two if both safeties are dedicated to bracketing out two receivers? Is there such a thing as cover two man?

1. NOT a fan of breaking the bank for Godwin. He was dropping balls left & right in 1st 3 playoff games.
Get a moving the chains over the middle WR as a replacement.

Who cares - let Tampa do what they want. It doesn't affect us.

Back to this garbage?

None of the Tampa free agents really have anything to do with NE, unless one or more of them signs here. Brady got his SB there and has proven not to be a system QB. No need for any Pats fan to put their heart and soul into the success of Tampa at this point. I'd rather NE sign one their key players if it makes sense for us, as opposed to helping Brady.

Great write-up here from King on the 5 big offensive plays from the Super Bowl.

Brady to Brown, improvised route, Tampa up 14-3, 0:10 left, second quarter. The idea was for Brady, under center at the 1-yard line, to play-action to Fournette, and turn around and fire to Brown, single-covered by Tyrann Mathieu, alone two-yards deep in the end zone. Brown was supposed to run a different route to get to the spot, but you can see on replay why he did what he did. Mathieu had no help behind him and Brown figured with a hard jab step to the right coming off the line, Mathieu would have to respect an outside throw. For a split-second, Mathieu jabbed with Brown—just long enough for Brown to be able to box out Mathieu. Brady fired it low, and Mathieu didn’t have time to deflect it away. “There’s something to getting an A in recess,” Christensen said. “Tom and Antonio are on the playground there, and the play doesn’t happen the way you’ve designed it. But they’ll figure it out, because they’re parks-and-rec players.”

This wasn't improvised. It's the same exact play as the Brady to Edelman TD in the Seahawks superbowl game except Edelman breaks outside.

This wasn't improvised. It's the same exact play as the Brady to Edelman TD in the Seahawks superbowl game except Edelman breaks outside.
Coach said it was improvised on the McAfee show. Gabbert also pretty much says the same during Mic'd Up

Belichick’s inflexibility was clearly a problem with Gronk. Maybe Brady too. Control and uniformity has pros and cons, much like Arians’s approach has pros and cons.

I don't buy this for a second. Belichick looks at a player and puts him in position to succeed. Plenty of Arians's former players are on record saying he's one of the most inflexible coaches they've ever come across. I heard this repeatedly from his former guys. Jeff Saturday was adamant about it.

I think it is simply a matter of consistency. The Bucs needed to gel and they did.

Gronk's problem with BB had nothing to do with how he was coached or what was going on on the field. It had everything to do with the team doctors and his injury and then his training methods with TB12 prior to his last season.

It may not have been a called play, but it's hard for me to believe that Brady and AB didn't go over that at some point, in one of the many "if....then" scenarios that Brady loves to go over with his receivers. Brady, like BB, is a man of a thousand and one details.

Case in point, (and my argument is this) Brady locks right on AB after the fake handoff. He doesn't look anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes