PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jack Edwards retiring.

Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson were my earliest memories of the Bruins, those days radio was the best medium, as the only station that carried the Bruins was channel 38 and in Southern RI there wasn't enough tin foil to bring in that signal.
It is time for Jack Edwards to retire..

He used to just be obnoxious but the last couple of years he simply can't keep up with the play. Which for a play by play guy is...
Anyway, best to him in his retirement. Many guys feel lost in retirement but I've enjoyed the hell out of mine and hope Jack does too.
I agree that he couldn’t keep up. The B’s would get a shot on net, the other team would come down the ice and are setting up for a shot and Jack is still explaining the shot the B’s had.

Home team hockey announcers are out of their mind, Dennis and Callahan used to have a weekly segment where they would play audio from goals from home team radio announcers. They would lose their mind.

Last edited:
He used to just be obnoxious but the last couple of years he simply can't keep up with the play. Which for a play by play guy is...
Anyway, best to him in his retirement. Many guys feel lost in retirement but I've enjoyed the hell out of mine and hope Jack does too.
Retirement rocks!!!

Amen!
If I'd have realized how much I'd enjoy it I would have done it 20 years sooner
I got lucky and retired early few years back. This past year my dad and my best friend passed. My wife and I were fortunate enough to be there for both of them till the end. It was definitely a trying year, but spent some real quality time sharing laughs and memories. All the money in the world can’t buy back those days.

Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson were my earliest memories of the Bruins, those days radio was the best medium, as the only station that carried the Bruins was channel 38 and in Southern RI there wasn't enough tin foil to bring in that signal.
It is time for Jack Edwards to retire..
My uncle who was a big hockey fan, former semi-pro player put a big ass antenna on the roof of our two family and we got 38 crystal clear, we just had to move the antenna around with one of those electric dial thingies.

I got lucky and retired early few years back. This past year my dad and my best friend passed. My wife and I were fortunate enough to be there for both of them till the end. It was definitely a trying year, but spent some real quality time sharing laughs and memories. All the money in the world can’t buy back those days.

Time is the most precious commodity we control. Ultimately, whether we realize it in the moment or not, we decide how and where our allotment gets sold. My wife and I were fortunate enough (meaning made good decisions and worked hard enough) to retire early. Her mother's decline and passing took the better part of a year and she was able to be there for her, not working a couple of states away. As trying as it was many of her most treasured moments with her Mom were made during that time. They got to truly discover each other as adults rather than as each other's obligations. It was beautiful to witness. We then had the time to take our motorcycles and make all the 'someday' trips while we were still healthy enough to enjoy them spending treasured time with family and friends. Granted we towed the bikes for some of them but it served us better to ride when & where we chose to and not to be at the mercy of the weather. How awesome it was to see her shine as the "Cool Gamma on her bike" to our grandsons. An 'extra' decade spent in the company of my best friend, truly a treasure beyond measure.

As our health has declined a bit (hers gradually, mine precipitated by an accident) we find ourselves so very grateful for all the 'extra' time we've had together and with the people we love that too few get to have. We both enjoyed our careers well enough but don't miss a single moment of our work lives. We do however still spend time moseying down the occasional personal path not yet taken, albeit at a somewhat reduced pace just these past couple of years. For so many that reduced pace is all they'll ever get, if they are fortunate enough to even get there.

What a great ride it has all been. We know it will continue elsewhere before too much longer but for today we are still enjoying it here together, gloriously and irreverently alive in this moment still sharing the gift of time. Anyone considering 'early' retirement should quit thinking and start doing, they won't be sorry.

My uncle who was a big hockey fan, former semi-pro player put a big ass antenna on the roof of our two family and we got 38 crystal clear, we just had to move the antenna around with one of those electric dial thingies.

I vividly remember the day the rotating antenna arrived, it was like a gift from the hockey Gods.

I was newly married, going to school, working part time and my wife was starting out as a nurse, they were available, but beyond our reach... so I ventured to a bar and watched the games there.. had a few $.25 drafts, I limited myself to $2.00 on drinking.

Time is the most precious commodity we control. Ultimately, whether we realize it in the moment or not, we decide how and where our allotment gets sold. My wife and I were fortunate enough (meaning made good decisions and worked hard enough) to retire early. Her mother's decline and passing took the better part of a year and she was able to be there for her, not working a couple of states away. As trying as it was many of her most treasured moments with her Mom were made during that time. They got to truly discover each other as adults rather than as each other's obligations. It was beautiful to witness. We then had the time to take our motorcycles and make all the 'someday' trips while we were still healthy enough to enjoy them spending treasured time with family and friends. Granted we towed the bikes for some of them but it served us better to ride when & where we chose to and not to be at the mercy of the weather. How awesome it was to see her shine as the "Cool Gamma on her bike" to our grandsons. An 'extra' decade spent in the company of my best friend, truly a treasure beyond measure.

As our health has declined a bit (hers gradually, mine precipitated by an accident) we find ourselves so very grateful for all the 'extra' time we've had together and with the people we love that too few get to have. We both enjoyed our careers well enough but don't miss a single moment of our work lives. We do however still spend time moseying down the occasional personal path not yet taken, albeit at a somewhat reduced pace just these past couple of years. For so many that reduced pace is all they'll ever get, if they are fortunate enough to even get there.

What a great ride it has all been. We know it will continue elsewhere before too much longer but for today we are still enjoying it here together, gloriously and irreverently alive in this moment still sharing the gift of time. Anyone considering 'early' retirement should quit thinking and start doing, they won't be sorry.
That was beautiful. Bless you for sharing. My wife and I spent 5 months is Asia before we had to come back to deal with this past year. Now we have 3 months planned in Europe that coincides with a nieces wedding in Florence. I agree retire as early as possible. None of us get out alive

I was newly married, going to school, working part time and my wife was starting out as a nurse, they were available, but beyond our reach... so I ventured to a bar and watched the games there.. had a few $.25 drafts, I limited myself to $2.00 on drinking.
The good old days!!

That was beautiful. Bless you for sharing. My wife and I spent 5 months is Asia before we had to come back to deal with this past year. Now we have 3 months planned in Europe that coincides with a nieces wedding in Florence. I agree retire as early as possible. None of us get out alive

As a young man I spent just under a year 'working' in SE Asia for our mutual relative, good ol' Uncle Sam. 6 years later I was back there for 4 months working for a somewhat smaller employer albeit two countries (thankfully) removed. I learned valuable lessons about myself from both experiences, fair to say they shaped a good amount of my outlook on the human condition to this day

Ironically between the opportunities of my career and the flexibility of my bride's we did the bulk of our international travel when we were much younger. Our oldest started school speaking the damnedest combination of languages you can imagine. It was funny as hell hearing him talk, like a world tour of words. It was not so funny for him at the time though, once back in the land of one tongue and trying to make himself properly understood. Now ofc even he laughs about it. We've been overseas (not counting the Caribbean) no more than a dozen times since retiring but every trip was a pleasure. Having the time and resources to properly sample an environment and culture is a blessing.

How great for you two to experience Florence together! Tuscany is a very romantic place and the food is deservedly legendary. Florence is every bit the destination its reputation merits. If you have the time and are in the Siena area, Trequanda is a hidden jewel, someplace you won't regret making the time for.

Last edited:
How great for you two to experience Florence together! Tuscany is a very romantic place and the food is deservedly legendary. Florence is every bit the destination its reputation merits. If you have the time and are in the Siena area, Trequanda is a hidden jewel, someplace you won't regret making the time for.
My sister and husband are traveling to the places you mention and some idiot I know volunteered to watch their 5, needy dogs. I used to love Italy and the romantic notion of it (despite of its current reality) but man I hate the the thought of it at the moment.

My sister and husband are traveling to the places you mention and some idiot I know volunteered to watch their 5, needy dogs. I used to love Italy and the romantic notion of it (despite of its current reality) but man I hate the the thought of it at the moment.
Enjoy your time with the pups. Mine is sitting next to me as I type this:)

My wife and I are currently pup sitting as well. I'm not sure who is less amused, our own dogs or me. The things we get ourselves into my man, we really do require more supervision. Sometimes I look to our futures with trepidation, other times I'm too busy getting run over by the present for that kinda ****

My wife and I are currently pup sitting as well. I'm not sure who is less amused, our own dogs or me. The things we get ourselves into my man, we really do require more supervision. Sometimes I look to our futures with trepidation, other times I'm too busy getting run over by the present for that kinda ****
I'm too tired to do anything but just parent these newborns (they're not but they act like they were born yesterday and 1 is a grand champion in the dog ring). I don't know how to explain it to them so they understand it's not their vacation from being a dog. It's almost the dog version of Lord of the Flies where I'm a cloud or something that is too far away to have any authoritative meaning.

As a young man I spent just under a year 'working' in SE Asia for our mutual relative, good ol' Uncle Sam. 6 years later I was back there for 4 months working for a somewhat smaller employer albeit two countries (thankfully) removed. I learned valuable lessons about myself from both experiences, fair to say they shaped a good amount of my outlook on the human condition to this day

Ironically between the opportunities of my career and the flexibility of my bride's we did the bulk of our international travel when we were much younger. Our oldest started school speaking the damnedest combination of languages you can imagine. It was funny as hell hearing him talk, like a would tour of words. It was not so funny for him at the time though, once back in the land of one tongue and trying to make himself properly understood. Now ofc even he laughs about it. We've been overseas (not counting the Caribbean) no more than a dozen times since retiring but every trip was a pleasure. Having the time and resources to properly sample an environment and culture is a blessing.

First off thanks for your service. Vietnam( as I assume you referring too) is really a beautiful place today. Totally blown away by Hanoi, unbelievable amount of bikes with the right blend of chaos. Was fortunate to work in Singapore years ago, being single for many years I got to see many places without the extra weight of someone else’s career. Travelled in through parts of Asia even back then. Years ago for my youngest 16th I took her to italy, ended up in Milan Florence and Venice… I’ll definitely look forward to seeing it with my wife. We will be in the area of Siena actually, will definitely check it out !

First off thanks for your service. Vietnam( as I assume you referring too) is really a beautiful place today. Totally blown away by Hanoi, unbelievable amount of bikes with the right blend of chaos. Was fortunate to work in Singapore years ago, being single for many years I got to see many places without the extra weight of someone else’s career. Travelled in through parts of Asia even back then. Years ago for my youngest 16th I took her to italy, ended up in Milan Florence and Venice… I’ll definitely look forward to seeing it with my wife. We will be in the area of Siena actually, will definitely check it out !

Yes, I was a participant in the Southeast Asian War Games. No, it's not something I discuss much. Certainly there is no need to 'thank me for my service', I didn't bring you your burger & beer. I know no offense was meant and I assure you none was taken. It's just that particular phrase is appropriate for a younger breed of the species. The same ones who require thanking when they remember to put the toilet seat down. It's all good, I believed in the men I served with and the mission even though I had issues with the way it was prosecuted. In any case, that was all a lifetime ago and is a subject for a different venue. Just didn't want to leave it hanging.

I think as an older guy you'll probably appreciate the food in and around Siena more than younger self would have. Milan, Florence and Venice have a glorious tradition of complex food, the fare in Siena was less complicated but more robust in it's simplicity. Hard to explain but you'll see what I mean soon enough. Tuscany as a whole will be a very different experience with a romantic partner. I wish you the best in your travels.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back