PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Former Red Sox Hanley Ramirez??? Update: Recklessly Dragged Through Mud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing conclusive in any of that. Suffice to say it's wise to be safe/cautious around your cat's effluents.

Agree on that ! Along with your bird, dog, hamster, and so on.

Re E. Fuller Torrey a research psychiatrist and a leading authority on the subject.

his most recent, dropped in July of 2015—. The authors analyzed a dataset of 5,000 UK children, looking for a correlation between cat ownership during critical ages of brain development and behavioral indicators of later psychosis (like dark thoughts) at the ages of 13 and 18. Their statistical analysis of the results showed no correlation.

Does pasta give you the sniffles? Just curious, I know people who claim to be gluten intolerant and eat other substances with wheat.

You are correct there is some evidence of suspected guten intolerance in people with out Celiac Disorder. However many times what is causing issues is some other substance in bread, and it's difficult to determine what the cause(s) is.

You asked me about an allergy and then started talking about intolerance. You realize these are not the same thing, correct?

Last edited:
You asked me about an allergy and then started talking about intolerance. You're aware these are not the same thing, correct?

Absolutely, an intolerance would be something that causes some distress. Say if wheat germ cause a response and a cooked wheat product does not. Your issue may be with uncooked wheat. Another example, lactose intolerant people can eat cheeses such as sharp cheddar where all the lactose has been converted to other substances without issue, but not cottage cheese, mozzarella or even mild cheddar. I believe you brought in intolerance.

An allergy is an immune response.

Last edited:
Absolutely, an intolerance would be something that causes some distress. Say if wheat germ cause a response and a cooked wheat product does not. Your issue may be with uncooked wheat. Another example, lactose intolerant people can eat cheeses such as sharp cheddar where all the lactose has been converted to other substances without issue, but not cottage cheese, mozzarella or even mild cheddar.

An allergy is an immune response.

You got the definition of allergy correct (an allergy is your body producing antibodies for something that isn't harmful, triggering an immune response). That my nose starts running when I eat wheat is a sign I have an allergy, not an intolerance, but I appreciate your failed attempt to play doctor. That's an immune response (to wheat germ, not gluten). You can test blood for allergies, checking for the presence of antibodies. I have a blood test that says, yes, you are allergic to wheat.

But an intolerance is a gastro-intestinal response, not some vaguely defined distress. It's lactose intolerant people getting the runs or gas after eating cheese. Allergies can include gastro-intestinal issues in some cases (Celiac's notably does) but don't necessarily. "Intolerance" is the thing that's much more difficult to define because, as you've noted, the food that causes it is difficult to nail down except through a strict elimination diet. And it seems like complex carbohydrates such as wheat do in fact cause a lot of people to have GI problems, though whether that's caused by gluten or something else in the food is probably entirely dependent on the person. I imagine a lot of people who go gluten-free and see improved GI results are experiencing a placebo effect, but if it works it works.

You should stop lumping allergies and intolerance together, though, because they're not the same things.

There are other responses, such as nasal congestion, runny nose & eyes - not all of those allergies. I get a runny nose from eating food with MSG, it is not an allergy, but as you say a runny nose could be an allergic response...I agree if it works so be it. With all due respect sir, you brought in intolerance.

Back to Hanley

Last edited:
Conspiracy Theory #2. It might explain why other teams didn't pick him up..He did hit pretty well in April before slumping in May.....
Right?? I am thinking they all knew.

I would like to make a slight detour in the cat/gluten/allergy/mental illness thread and point out that, if you do a search for "Hanley Ramirez Boston Globe," none of the results mention the recent developments in this story. There are plenty of hits around the time the Red Sox designated Hanley for assignment and immediately afterward, but June 4th is the most recent article.

I'm sure this lack of coverage and the fact that Sox management owns the Globe is just a coincidence. It's not like the paper immediately promoted the storyline that the Patriots must have known about Aaron Hernandez' off field activities and did nothing about it.

I would like to make a slight detour in the cat/gluten/allergy/mental illness thread and point out that, if you do a search for "Hanley Ramirez Boston Globe," none of the results mention the recent developments in this story. There are plenty of hits around the time the Red Sox designated Hanley for assignment and immediately afterward, but June 4th is the most recent article.

I'm sure this lack of coverage and the fact that Sox management owns the Globe is just a coincidence. It's not like the paper immediately promoted the storyline that the Patriots must have known about Aaron Hernandez' off field activities and did nothing about it.
June 4 is not the most recent article. This past Friday, June 22, Pete Abraham's column. Nice work.

Last edited:
Stick and ball. Sleepytime pastoral summer lawn recreation. Bankofamericasox. Bleah.
From ESPN.com, June 25, 2018:

Former Patriot Hanley Ramirez target of federal drug ring investigation

...the retraction/clarification/apology will come on July 5th, ignored by all as usual

You have posted that article before. Give it a rest.
Just looking out for your wellbeing. Don't want to see you in the loony bin because of toxic cat pee.

Last edited:

BOSTON (CBS) – Former Red Sox player Hanley Ramirez was never under investigation in connection to a fentanyl ring, according to a new report that says a man who was arrested on drug charges attempted to use Ramirez’s name to avoid an arrest.

The Boston Globe reported, citing court documents filed in U.S. District Court in Boston, that Ramirez’s friend was stopped by State Police in western Massachusetts in April. During the stop, the driver allowed a trooper to search his Jeep, but wouldn’t let him to open a box that he claimed belonged to Ramirez.

In hopes of stopping the search, the report says, the driver called Ramirez on FaceTime and handed the phone to the trooper. Ramirez said he did not know what was in the box and gave permission to open it.

Two kilograms of fentanyl were allegedly found inside the package. (End of court record)

The driver, who was not named in the newspaper story, used Ramirez’s name “to get the cops off his back, which didn’t work,” his attorney told the Globe. The attorney added that using Ramirez’s name was “an ill-thought-out attempt to evade further police scrutiny.”

These court records sound like they are from the cops. Then in the article we get commentary from Hanley's agent and lawyer.

This seems to clear Hanley, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Keep this in mind, April is much earlier than the Hanley release date of May 25th.

Last edited:
I agree that he has been exonerated from the charges however his reputation has been (unfairly) damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back