PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins might be closing in on a deal for Deshaun Watson (edit: or not)

Paywall blocked me .. tua going to Texans?

Paywall blocked me .. tua going to Texans?
Would be an upgrade from Mills... I think?

I got around the paywall by scrolling really quickly. Just says talks have intensified into serious negotiations and after losing to Jax the Dolphins are more determined to get Watson. Texans want 3 firsts and 2 seconds.

They have a lot more problems than Tua right now IMO.

Would be an upgrade from Mills... I think?

I got around the paywall by scrolling really quickly. Just says talks have intensified into serious negotiations and after losing to Jax the Dolphins are more determined to get Watson. Texans want 3 firsts and 2 seconds.

They have a lot more problems than Tua right now IMO.
That’s a lot of future capital. Even half of that 2-1st/1-2d Would be a lot.

I think Flores has done good stuff, but don’t think he has done so much w that roster that they can afford to tread water for 2-3 years.

houston has to come off that or make picks conditional on Watson not being suspended or jailed.

Well that would force the NFL's hand to do something with Watson.

Desperate might be better than the alternative.

If Watson is cleared to play, then wouldn't the Texans just keep him? They need a good QB more than anybody.
If Watson isn't cleared to play, then wouldn't the Dolphins not be interested?

I still think until all his civil and potentially criminal issues are resolved, he is toxic to trade for. My guess is he won't play this year at all. Goodell has avoided putting him on the exempt list because the Texans have suspended him. But if the Dolphins try to activate him, Goodell might be forced to put him on the list until this is over. And in the current #metoo environment, Watson could be facing a long suspension even if there are no criminal charges and he wins some of his cases against him.

Miami could be risking a lot of draft capital for a guy who may not see the field until the second half of the 2023 season or the 2024 season or beyond.

If Watson is cleared to play, then wouldn't the Texans just keep him? They need a good QB more than anybody.
If Watson isn't cleared to play, then wouldn't the Dolphins not be interested?

The Texans have suspended him. And he refuses to play for the Texans.

Watson isn't cleared. Doubtful he will be cleared or punished by the NFL until the civil and criminal (if there are any) cases are done. But Goodell could put him on the commissioner's exempt list until then which is a paid suspension but doesn't count towards his actual suspension if there is one.

I never thought of it from the emails angle as someone tweeted out.

Wouldn't put it past the league to look past Watson's issues and give the trade the thumbs up saying Watson can play - just to distract from the email leaks.

I never thought of it from the emails angle as someone tweeted out.

Wouldn't put it past the league to look past Watson's issues and give the trade the thumbs up saying Watson can play - just to distract from the email leaks.

That just swaps one problem with another problem. So the media will stop focusing on the emails and then focus on asking why the league would allow a player who has nearly two dozen sexual assault allegations play football. Kinda like falling out of the frying pan into the fire.

I think this has to do with the trade deadline being less than two weeks away and has nothing to do with the league any of their PR issues.

Ratings in Miami would skyrocket and potentially rake in a considerable profit if he succeeds there. I imagine the NFL will allow it. Bottom line first, then politics (in the scope of coaches/owners/etc), theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, way way way wayyyyyyy back here, is integrity.

I say this having no input on the Watson situation, I didn't really read into it, but I'm arguing that's almost moot because I imagine Dolphins ratings aren't stellar and a star injection could mean more money.

Bills - Allen

Pats - Mac

Jets - Wilson

Dolphins - ?

It’s pretty clear the Dolphins know they need a QB to compete with the other AFC East teams. They gave up their first rounder to the Eagles in this year‘s draft, which was stupid, so they can’t draft a new QB in April…I guess they are desperate.

I had seen reports earlier that one of the complications to a possible trade was that Houston didn’t want Tua back in the trade.

Good move by the Dolphins if they pull it off even if it’s unlikely Watson plays until the NFL’s investigation into him is complete. They would be getting one of the best QBs for presumably a bargain because of the accusations made against him.

I had seen reports earlier that one of the complications to a possible trade was that Houston didn’t want Tua back in the trade.

Good move by the Dolphins if they pull it off even if it’s unlikely Watson plays until the NFL’s investigation into him is complete. They would be getting one of the best QBs for presumably a bargain because of the accusations made against him.

Their reported last offer to the Texans right before the season was two firsts and Tua. So odds are that they will give up more than that. It is a bargain compared to what it could have been if Watson didn't have sexual assault/rape allegations against him, but it will still be a lot. And Watson most likely won't play this year and may not next year either.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back