PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Brit Reid sentenced to 3 yrs in DWI case

I had a friend that served 3 years for sex with a minor.
He said the first year you're in denial.
The second year you blame everyone else.
The third year you realize it's your own damn fault

He said most sentences are too short and people go right back to their original behavior (mostly drugs and alcohol abuse).
Fortunately, I'm not a judge, because for most crimes I would start with a 3 year minimum.
While waiting for my crew to arrive at a jobsite many years ago I noticed a young amputee get out of a car. When I commented about it to the man with me he asked me if I knew how he lost his leg. I told him I didn't and that's when he told me that the young man screwed his 15 year old babysitter and the girl's father and brother smashed his leg so badly that they had to take it off just below the knee. I hope that was a great piece of ass cause the guy paid dearly for it.

The judicial system in the country is a freaking joke.
Our brilliant forefathers left us with a great system but the "public servants" abusing it right now are the problem.

After the shooting during KC's SB parade, one local pol complained that the shooters were being described as thugs. His concern wasn't for the victims but how the criminals were being portrayed. That attitude is permeating the judicial system.

Look, for every Super Bowl win you get a get out of jail free card.

This is an unpopular opinion, but I am not a fan of lengthy prison sentences for many crimes. If a person isn't a danger to society then we need to find other punishments/redemptions than wasting tax dollars by throwing additional lives away in prison. 3,10, life..no amount of time will be good enough for the victims. Catering to revenge/vengeance needs to stop and forgiveness needs to be found. I'm not really talking about this case but prison sentences in general. I'll admit 3 does seem super light, but hopefully Reid has a conscious and will never do this again etc.
I'm on the other side of this. What I'm seeing is that most criminals who get a lenient sentence end up being repeat offenders, just like Reid's kid has been. The most obvious case of all of them though was the Remi case. He walked dozens of times until he eventually killed the girl. Whether people want to believe it or not, severe punishments, like the death penalty, are real deterrents.

I think the thing we're lacking in the American justice system is more rehabilitation than forgiveness. Obviously, recidivism is going to happen a lot if you just put all the convicts in a concrete box with subhuman conditions without teaching any life skills, then release them into a society that (sometimes rightfully, often not) hates them and denies basic opportunities necessary for survival. It gets harder, not easier, to do the right things.

Drunk drivers are a danger to society, however (which I think you probably already believe).
That's it in a nutshell. Rehabilitate the criminals instead of sending them to prisons that teach them more criminal methods. And if that's done they can return as productive members of society.

50 years ago I lost my best friend to drunk driving on Christmas day. I still think about him and how it destroyed his wonderful parents.

I'm on the other side of this. What I'm seeing is that most criminals who get a lenient sentence end up being repeat offenders, just like Reid's kid has been. The most obvious case of all of them though was the Remi case. He walked dozens of times until he eventually killed the girl. Whether people want to believe it or not, severe punishments, like the death penalty, are real deterrents.
Actually, the death penalty has been proven not to be a deterrent at all.

idc if it is a deterrent or not. it stops that person from murdering anyone else. but it should be used sparingly with only proven serial killer types. sociopaths are not inclined to sit in jail and be miserable and regretful over their crimes. they relish them. death penalty robs them of years of revolting pleasure they take in reliving their murders and rapes.

Do you have prove?

Not arguing with you, would just to read the considerations myself.

While waiting for my crew to arrive at a jobsite many years ago I noticed a young amputee get out of a car. When I commented about it to the man with me he asked me if I knew how he lost his leg. I told him I didn't and that's when he told me that the young man screwed his 15 year old babysitter and the girl's father and brother smashed his leg so badly that they had to take it off just below the knee. I hope that was a great piece of ass cause the guy paid dearly for it.
I worked in the criminal justice system in New Haven, CT for a couple years in the 1980s. I once saw a 17 year old kid go away for sex with his 16 year old girlfriend. Her father, connected, pressed it as much as possible. The kid got 6 months as an adult.

He got more time in prison for that than Reid.

Our brilliant forefathers left us with a great system but the "public servants" abusing it right now are the problem.

After the shooting during KC's SB parade, one local pol complained that the shooters were being described as thugs. His concern wasn't for the victims but how the criminals were being portrayed. That attitude is permeating the judicial system.
The real problem? The system is loaded with people in for minor things, typically people without means to defend themselves, people advised to take pleas even when they're not guilty.

Jails are so packed that it allows violent criminals and people with serious crimes to get out much earlier.

It shouldn't be lost on us that the same Missouri governor recently refused to provide amnesty on marijuana offenses.

Sets a fine precedent that if your rich or famous it’s ok to kill or maim someone. If you or I had this history and committed this crime we are doing at least 10+.

Proven by whom? Almost every time I see a story of a murderer and the body can't be found he makes a plea bargain for life instead of the death penalty and shows them the location of the body. The only cases where they don't is when they're such a sicko that they don't care about dying or are in a state that doesn't have the death penalty. That defines the term deterrent.

Prison term lengths are an issue, but it's the nature of the incarceration that is the problem. Once someone has done time in prison in this country, they become part of the "subclass" and are very likely to be recidivist, since many job opportunities are closed to them in practice even if not by the letter of the law. (Remember that there are many victimless crimes for which people will do serious time in this country)

If the US insists on having among the highest rates of incarceration in the world, then for the sake of the country and its future, it'd be better to provide essential skills in prison to allow people who have "paid their debt to society" a viable opportunity to become productive members of that society once paroled. That said, in such a system, if someone is recidivist after rehabilitation, then something more harsh is likely appropriate.

100% of the executed convicts never commit another crime.

Proven by whom? Almost every time I see a story of a murderer and the body can't be found he makes a plea bargain for life instead of the death penalty and shows them the location of the body. The only cases where they don't is when they're such a sicko that they don't care about dying or are in a state that doesn't have the death penalty. That defines the term deterrent.
When it comes to murder, many are a spur of the moment act. Few think of the consequences, either because they don't think they'll get caught, they're insane, or are mentally ******ed. Nobody that commits a crime of passion stops to think of the consequences. The people you described weren't planning to get caught. The death penalty didn't stop them from committing the crime.

It may lead to further violence in the case of crimes that carry a capital offence. If armed robbery carries the death penalty, the robber loses nothing by committing murders to eliminate witnesses or while attempting to flee.

The US is one of the top 10 countries that have the most executions, amongst these bastions of freedom:
China (# unknown, estimated in 1000s)
Iran
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
US
Iraq
 Singapore
Kuwait
Somalia
South Yemen
South Sudan
[N Korea, Afghanistan, Syria, #s unknown].

That's nice company we keep.

100% of the executed convicts never commit another crime.
I think the real reason it is lacking in deterrence is that it is only used for the most serious murders. Most people just don't find themselves in a situation where they are going gruesomely murder someone very often.

If we said you get 3 DWIs you get executed it, and actually did within a reasonable period of time I bet it would be more of a deterrent. And since DWIs tend to be a lot harder to be wrongly convicted of it, and you have to do it 3 times it pretty much eliminates most of the good arguments against capital punishment.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back