PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Buckner passes away

Ol' Shank Shaughnessy with the unmitigated gall and colossal balls to tweet the following yesterday: "Bill Buckner never should have been defined by one play." That SOB structured his entire "Curse of the Bambino" BS myth around Buckner's error and even featured a picture of Buckner's error on the cover of one edition his BS book. What a despicable, hypocritical ***hole...

Last edited:
Buckner's last home run with the Red Sox was an inside the park homer, bad wheels and all...

I never had any anger towards Buckner. he was blamed for the 86 series loss because the media pushed that narrative. if people want to blame somebody it should have been MacNamara for putting him in with mangled ankles. or blame Stanley for the wild pitch. or gedman for the passed ball. take your pick. it wasn't Buckner's fault.
Or Schiraldi for his atrocious pitching in games 6 and 7.....

Ol' Shank Shaughnessy with the unmitigated gall and colossal balls to tweet the following yesterday: "Bill Buckner never should have been defined by one play." That SOB structured his entire "Curse of the Bambino" BS myth around Buckner's error and even featured a picture of Buckner's error on the cover of one edition his BS book. What a despicable, hypocritical ***hole...
Thank you. I knew where you were going when you started with, “Ol’ Shank...”

He’s a human sewer.

I blame Lou What Would We Do With Willie McGee Gorman, for trading Dennis Eckersley to the Cubs for Buckner, who was already 34 years old and damaged goods by then...there's also John McNamara and/or Roger Clemens, one of whom is a gutless, bold-faced liar. A pox on both their houses too.

To be fair, Eck was a mess when traded. They took our problem, we took theirs. It wasn't until Eck got to Oakland that he figured it out.

He was a real good player. Hard to hold one mistake against him seeing that his play was solid for years.

I am glad the conversation got there before I got a chance to put my foot in it. So to speak.

I was so sure that era's Sawx were destined to get it done, from the Rice/Lynn SI cover onward... that Buckner play broke my heart (and not for the last time)

I hung in there with the Pats and was richly rewarded, but gave up on the Sawx when Pedro left... then ta-daaaa! LOL

And by the way I dont want to hear about what a pretty boy Tom Brady is, the Mets had a pitcher whose actual name was Ron Darling that year.
>>but gave up on the Sawx when Pedro left

Pedro was on the team that broke the curse in 04

And screw you McNamara, Stanley, Schiraldi and **** you forever Clemens.
Not Stanley's fault that Gedman couldn't do his job and catch a ball not in the dirt.

Schiraldi was over-used by Mac by that point; the 10th inning was his 3rd inning of the game.
His main feckup was, instead of throwing another fastball to Mitchell, he threw him a curveball ...LIKE HE TOLD MITCHELL HE WOULD DO! How stupid.

Or Bob Stanley sending his first pitch to the ****ing backstop.

Is it just me or does Bob Stanley look like a pitcher you’d face in an over 40 softball league?

I forgot about that pitch to the backstop.

I’ve said it before. Carrottop made a living off off that loveable loser mentality. He didn’t know what to do with himself after 04 and has since become absolutely irrelevant. He’s a doom and gloom writer that belongs in another city.

I was in the bleachers in the summer of '87 when Buckner came to bat late in the game and a few fans around me stood up and gave him a standing ovation. I had no idea what was going on, but apparently these folks knew this was his last game in Boston. The ovation was appreciative, not derisive. As a teen who cared a little too much about wins, losses and those associated with them, it was good to see less than a year later after "that game" the fans treat him with such respect. Probably a good lesson for young me.

Regards,
Chris

I have always hated that people blamed him for the game six loss....it was a 5-5 tie already...HELLO!!!!

Glad that the fans mended the fences with Buckner before it was too late.

RIP, Billy.

I’ve said it before. Carrottop made a living off off that loveable loser mentality. He didn’t know what to do with himself after 04 and has since become absolutely irrelevant. He’s a doom and gloom writer that belongs in another city.
Yeah, Nagasaki in the summer of 1945...

His knees were shot, but Buckner was touging it out for the team.
MacNamara needs a lot more blame. All year long he'd sub in Stapleton for Buckner as a defensive replacement for just that reason.

Buckner dropping the signed Mookie Wilson after Larry David tossed it out the window was one of the classic moments of TV comedy. So classy of Buckner to be willing/able to make self-deprecating light of the situation.

Is it just me or does Bob Stanley look like a pitcher you’d face in an over 40 softball league?

I forgot about that pitch to the backstop.
Gedman led the league in passed balls in 1986.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back