PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Organizational Excellence, Analytics, and Football theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

miloofcroton

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
As I was recapping some thoughts on the latest NFL draft, I started delving in a bit further into the philosophies of the teams. I've been researching football organizations for the past several hours, which is to say every non-player personnel: coaches, executives, directors, analysts, scouts, and technically even owners. Obviously, the primary measure of success is winning, and at that, sustained winning. However, winning is a very coarse statistic for when analyzing the pros and cons of various strategies and tendencies throughout the league. We're looking for more granular things that can be noticed without necessarily needing every single win to line up.

One measure that stuck out to me was the ability to acquire and develop QB talent. Sure, some teams, even those with primarily defensive minds, can take the A+ QB talents in the first round. Not many can successfully develop QBs from the mid rounds, and far less are able to do it more than once, indicating that the ones who did it once simply drafted an A+ talent in that round. Ultimately, QB is the most important position in football, a position that teams live and die with, and the ability to be utterly dominant in the acquisition and development of this position is enough to put you in the upper tier. I found Belichick to be the best, thanks to both his greatest finds as well as his consistency. I found Sean Payton to be the only other current NFL coach worth mentioning, but his consistently atrocious defense has stained my opinion of him and that Saints organization somewhat. That leaves only one other coach that I would put 'significantly above the mean', and he's the wily coach up in Ann Arbor: Jim Harbaugh. He's also had great defenses everywhere he's gone, and should he enter the NFL again, himself combined with a great front office would be the only competitor in organizational excellence to Bill Belichick and the Patriots.

Now, I wasn't done there. I started following this rabbit hole in Cleveland, on the path of football analytics. On the surface, many baseball fans, economics majors, and other math-inclined people may appreciate this concept. Analytics certainly have a place, but this is a rebuttal for their use as the guiding principle in organizing a team.

For one, sustained success in football requires making the whole more than the sum of the parts. If you are just the sum of the parts, then you end up with parts that are too expensive or out of the lineup due to injuries, and you can't continually replace that talent pool when 31 other teams are looking for the exact same things. This is somewhat in contrast to baseball. There are far fewer synergies between baseball players, and those that do exist can almost perfectly be described by easily quantifiable statistics. Baseball teams do still face the conundrum of having 31 or so other competitors for the same types of people, but large rosters, minor league systems, and massive drafts allowed even extremely minor advantages to eventually bubble to the surface. In football, you're looking at far more discrete results without the ability to blindly choose players because they have one trait that might be undervalued by other teams (assuming your luck averages out on all other traits).

For two, there's also the incredible amount of work done behind the scenes in football, in week to week preparation, off-season activities, and other leadership opportunities. There's the necessary toughness to strive for a few inches at key moments that are nothing more blips on the radar screen in a football analytic's head.

Neither of these really exist in other sports the way that they do in football, nor does the importance of the QB position which I mentioned earlier. However, in searching for Belichick's comments on the subject, I discovered one further reason that perhaps existed somewhere in my psyche due to my previous studies in game theory, but Bill said it more eloquently:

“Look, I’ve done things all the way the back to the Giants and before that, doing them by hand. Look, if you’re out there coaching every day and to me, if you can’t see an 80 percent tendency, then what are you looking at? Now, is it 51-49, 49-51, I don’t know. What are you going to do with that? You want to bet on 51, you want to bet on 49 or bet on 55 or 45? At that point, what’s the difference?

“I don’t see a big difference and I certainly wouldn’t want to bet on 55 and take my chances on 45. You’ve got to play it straight. But honestly, I think if an experienced coach can’t see 80-20 or 90-10, I don’t think that’s very good.”

Bill Belichick on analytics: ‘It’s not really my thing’

That's really driving home my point about what I called 'discrete results' (not the best term, but I'm keeping it for continuity in this piece). In baseball, basketball, soccer, and even non-sport things like finance, you take 55% chances all game long because there are a large amount of plays or transactions, and each essentially have equal importance in the success of your venture. Interestingly, baseball plays usually result in failure (to score) and basketball plays usually (relatively) result in success, which are two opposite ends of the spectrum, but the inherent equality of any single play to mean as much as the next is extant in both sports.

In football, you have a very asymmetric game board. If the previous examples were economics, football is war. In football, as in war, you don't need to win every battle, have the advantage in every aspect of a battle to win the battle, or even have the probabilistic likeliness to win the most battles. You need a decisive advantage or several, and then you continue on to decisive victory. Decisiveness essentially means an extremely high probability for excess, which I called discrete because anything other than a 1 (or close to it) is a 0 in your mind. These concepts can boil down to heuristic categories, such as rock beats scissors, paper beats rock, and scissors beats paper, but that is only a specific type of categories that exist in the set of all categorical strategies. You can also have a system where one category always wins. This is almost the case with the NFL passing game, for the half of the game where you're passing and they're defending, because passing is consistently the better way to score points and control a game. Not to get too off topic, but in war, having control of the skies (in terms of aircraft and rockets/missiles/bombs) is an utterly dominant way to control any region of land or water, provided you can maintain supplies to your air attack and are not politically-limited in the force with which you are allowed to apply. (At least, that worked until nuclear threats made even a single mistake in your air defense a discrete/utter loss for essentially all of your defenses, but that's waaay off topic...)

I'm sure there are many other directions we can take this topic, but the original purpose of my research has been quite resolved in my mind. I feel that the Patriots organization truly stands above the others.

Other things for further discussion(and I'm leaving out the adjective 'relatively' as these are certainly not *perfect* descriptions):

football: asymmetric, non-repeating
baseball/basketball/most other sports: symmetric, repeating
Football is not nearly as much of a repeating game relative to most other sports or finance, but chess lies still on the opposite end of the spectrum of all of them. A single play in a football game has the same type of strategy as an entire game of chess, as you have only one possible conclusion (well, technically two, if you include a draw), although of course football strategy in individual plays don't contain the complexity of chess strategy.
Scarcity - can a particular resource be gained? This is another side to analytics (to contrast with the earlier discussion on valuation) that is more valid in football. Obviously, the Patriots have been thoroughly aware of scarcity with the way they've handled money and draft picks. There is a lot of subtle discussion within this topic, I think.
For broader game theory: If you're interested in things that transcend the sport that brought us onto this forum, there's the interesting question of which variables are more or less important at different levels (levels generally meaning size and/or period of engagement). For instance, maybe teamwork is crucially essential in a 4 man squad or a 5 man offensive line, but how much is teamwork diluted with double the number of players on a kick return? Does the returner's special talent not shine more individually than a running back's would? And the same is true in organizations. You can certainly have more 'waste' in a group of 1000 people than in a group of 10, not to say waste is a good thing, just that priorties change. Certain concepts don't necessarily have parallels at different levels either. In warfare, suppressive fire is extremely effective, but it only really exists in engagements from around ten to one hundred. Beyond that, the game board changes. Something similar may exist, but you'd have to generalize this specific concept we're calling suppressive fire.

One last comment on analytics in football: I qualify my previous rebuttal for their usage in valuation by saying you can't find analogues for baseball statistics that will effectively work in football to build successful franchises. If you could take your traditional methods of scouting players and then work backwards to attempt to create new stats that mirror everything you could possibly see on tape, then you would have a somewhat full picture of what your evaluation looks like. However, that computer still wouldn't know all of the things a person could draw from a person's character, effort, etc that certainly do contribute to making a team more than a sum of its parts, which is to me the essential defining feature of football.

Nice Topic and some good thoughts.

Part of the nature of football, Compared to baseball is that baseball is mostly a binary operation (between 2 players) at any given moment with less emphasis on team dynamics. Where as football always has 22 people in play (11 on each side) with time being a very real factor (i.e. the longer a play goes on the greater likelihood that there's a breakdown).

So, in a basic rudimentary way if a team has a 99% chance of doing things right and you involve 11 distinct parts that could equate to a 90% chance of success whereas a team with a 98% chance would have more than double the failure rate at 80% chance of success.

I think the time factor, in part, explains why passing is more successful than running. With running, time effectively starts right after the ball is in motion whereas passing there's usually a 1.5 second plus delay.

Obviously there's way too many factors to which is why a coach can explain a play in minutes rather than baseball where a real time call is about as deep as you need to get for everyone to understand whats going on (ok you can get a bit deeper, but the probability tree on baseball is fairly limited)

Great analysis!

In terms of analogies ...

The personnel/alignment/play-design that the coordinators run out onto the football field for a specific individual play or series of plays (and how the QB/defensive leaders read and adjust to their opponent, pre-snap) - to me, that's the chess match.

I'd even include off-season roster building as part of the chess strategizing.

For example, although the NFL is (reputedly) a "passing league", building a roster that addresses the strengths and weaknesses of your specific 13 regular season opponents is crucial to winning enough games to make it into the playoffs. Typically, the Pats defense plays half their regular season games against teams with very strong running games. This is why BB prefers front-7 players who are strong run defenders over elite sack artists who are liabilities against the run, and why he prefers cornerbacks who can play very good edge contain - and tackle - over those who are elite ballhawks who don't like to "get dirty" against the ground game.
--------------------
However, once the ball is snapped, the action on the field typically breaks down to a number of simultaneous rochambeau matches. If enough individual players win their matches, the play usually succeeds. Extreme individual effort amid a lot of "failed" matches sometimes makes a play succeed in dramatic fashion, but those occasions may not win as many games as consistently winning a majority of those individual rochambeau matches on every play would.

Phew. That's a lot to digest but interesting to read nevertheless.

I'll enjoy being a part of this discussion but my thoughts are less focussed than yours so I may stray from post to post relative to yours. :D

The objective for each game is to win it by at least one point. If you do that nineteen times a season you're the champion but how do you accomplish that? Draft a Tom Brady. :D I'm half joking but that has to be a part of the discussion at some level.

The most common margin of victory in the NFL is 3 points. Improving your team's performance minimally in all aspects and in all phases increases your total competitiveness which may be the difference between +3 win and -3 loss. Amazing when you think about it.

What is the Most Common Margin Of Victory In The NFL?

upload_2017-4-30_9-11-45.png

I'll start with this portion of your post.

For instance, maybe teamwork is crucially essential in a 4 man squad or a 5 man offensive line, but how much is teamwork diluted with double the number of players on a kick return? Does the returner's special talent not shine more individually than a running back's would? And the same is true in organizations. You can certainly have more 'waste' in a group of 1000 people than in a group of 10, not to say waste is a good thing, just that priorties change.

Whether it's a 4 man or 1000 man squad the end result of a game is based on a team's performance relative to their opponent's. But agree that comparing the usefulness of analytics between a 4 man team versus a 1000 man team would be vastly different and even moreso between different sports.

I think BB has analyzed everything that impacts a complete season. Each game, each play, each injury, etc... and works to improve the results of each whether it was successful or not. IOW, he tries to gain an advantage in every aspect of the game including peripheral factors such as Cap management, Training, Medically etc...

Examples of BB gaining advantages:

1. He may have been the first HC to value Special teams as much as he does. He saw the value in the field position it provides and invested capital to ensure he had one of the best ST units in the NFL. Other teams do invest high draft picks or capital in thunder legged kickers or speedy fast return guys but none assembled the puzzle of each player's total team value (depth) as BB has.

Interesting article regarding NFL special teams. NFL Special Teams Investment - Inside The Pylon

upload_2017-4-30_7-21-25.png

2. Here's an article regarding the Patriot's approach to Hamstring injuries.
Why hamstring injuries are so common in the NFL

3. Conditioning. Running the Hill. This was an interesting aspect that played a large role in the last Super Bowl.

Running the hills helped Patriots climb the hill in Super Bowl LI

Analytically:

The only time I think BB truly "plays the odds" is in his global approach to winning a Lombardi each season. Rather than acquiring a roster speckled with top 5 talent he invests in lower grade depth and trusts that the totality of all the individual components will have an opportunity to win each season knowing that that approach may endure the occasional loss.

Strategically:

I wasn't sure where to fit this in so I'll just note it here, BB values football players over super athletes. 53 guys who understand scheme and recognize what the other team is doing will beat a team built on athleticism more times than not. Couple that with conditioning, coaching, injury management, cap management and that team may win the Super Bowl by 3 points.

I hope that was on topic.

Phew. That's a lot to digest but interesting to read nevertheless.

I'll enjoy being a part of this discussion but my thoughts are less focussed than yours so I may stray from post to post relative to yours. :D

The objective for each game is to win it by at least one point. If you do that nineteen times a season you're the champion but how do you accomplish that? Draft a Tom Brady. :D I'm half joking but that has to be a part of the discussion at some level.

The most common margin of victory in the NFL is 3 points. Improving your team's performance minimally in all aspects and in all phases increases your total competitiveness which may be the difference between +3 win and -3 loss. Amazing when you think about it.

What is the Most Common Margin Of Victory In The NFL?

View attachment 16998

I'll start with this portion of your post.

Whether it's a 4 man or 1000 man squad the end result of a game is based on a team's performance relative to their opponent's. But agree that comparing the usefulness of analytics between a 4 man team versus a 1000 man team would be vastly different and even moreso between different sports.

I think BB has analyzed everything that impacts a complete season. Each game, each play, each injury, etc... and works to improve the results of each whether it was successful or not. IOW, he tries to gain an advantage in every aspect of the game including peripheral factors such as Cap management, Training, Medically etc...

Examples of BB gaining advantages:

1. He may have been the first HC to value Special teams as much as he does. He saw the value in the field position it provides and invested capital to ensure he had one of the best ST units in the NFL. Other teams do invest high draft picks or capital in thunder legged kickers or speedy fast return guys but none assembled the puzzle of each player's total team value (depth) as BB has.

Interesting article regarding NFL special teams. NFL Special Teams Investment - Inside The Pylon

View attachment 16993

2. Here's an article regarding the Patriot's approach to Hamstring injuries.
Why hamstring injuries are so common in the NFL

3. Conditioning. Running the Hill. This was an interesting aspect that played a large role in the last Super Bowl.

Running the hills helped Patriots climb the hill in Super Bowl LI

Analytically:

The only time I think BB truly "plays the odds" is in his global approach to winning a Lombardi each season. Rather than acquiring a roster speckled with top 5 talent he invests in lower grade depth and trusts that the totality of all the individual components will have an opportunity to win each season knowing that that approach may endure the occasional loss.

Strategically:

I wasn't sure where to fit this in so I'll just note it here, BB values football players over super athletes. 53 guys who understand scheme and recognize what the other team is doing will beat a team built on athleticism more times than not. Couple that with conditioning, coaching, injury management, cap management and that team may win the Super Bowl by 3 points.

I hope that was on topic.

Good articles. You addressed some specific areas by which the team has tried to find small advantages. Not everything necessarily has an over-arching philosophy for being superior than the other options. Some of it is just effort, as the choice is obvious if you're willing.

I love this quote from the hill article:

We're just a team that works. We're a team full of workers"

Many of you east coasters might not know this, but hill training was actually extremely prominent in many of the most famous NFL players of all time. Jerry Rice had a hill outside his house that he trained on for most of his career, I believe. When Rice was retired and the 49ers drafted Crabtree, Rice tried to take him under his wing. Crabtree couldn't even finish that damn hill, and meanwhile 50 year old Rice was bounding up it wondering "what's up?" Walter Payton was a hill runner in the off season (which was, I think, back before the NFL had major off season programs).

The hamstring one surprised me the most. With all the negative effects of injuries, I'm surprised teams haven't taken the utmost precaution to ensure they don't happen.

I wish the special teams article had more meat to it. I would like to know more of the strategy behind special teams. Another coach that I was really impressed with, special teams-wise, was Jim Harbaugh (whose name I not-so-coincidentally mentioned very favorably in my earlier post), When he came to San Francisco, the entire team culture changed, and part of that was bringing in loads of badasses for the coverage units. I know a lot about San Fran because I live in California.

Great analysis!

In terms of analogies ...

The personnel/alignment/play-design that the coordinators run out onto the football field for a specific individual play or series of plays (and how the QB/defensive leaders read and adjust to their opponent, pre-snap) - to me, that's the chess match.

I'd even include off-season roster building as part of the chess strategizing.

For example, although the NFL is (reputedly) a "passing league", building a roster that addresses the strengths and weaknesses of your specific 13 regular season opponents is crucial to winning enough games to make it into the playoffs. Typically, the Pats defense plays half their regular season games against teams with very strong running games. This is why BB prefers front-7 players who are strong run defenders over elite sack artists who are liabilities against the run, and why he prefers cornerbacks who can play very good edge contain - and tackle - over those who are elite ballhawks who don't like to "get dirty" against the ground game.
--------------------
However, once the ball is snapped, the action on the field typically breaks down to a number of simultaneous rochambeau matches. If enough individual players win their matches, the play usually succeeds. Extreme individual effort amid a lot of "failed" matches sometimes makes a play succeed in dramatic fashion, but those occasions may not win as many games as consistently winning a majority of those individual rochambeau matches on every play would.

The unique thing about football, in comparison to chess, is that you actually set the alignment of your pieces. And then through player transactions, you actually choose which pieces you have. Chess is strictly the movement of the formation. Not to be overly literal... I get the analogy.

Interesting point about the rock/paper/scissors of individual matchups. Obviously, certain things make the arity larger (perhaps a QB looking off a safety, with a TE going into his zone, with the MLB trying to keep up), but it's one way to look at it. What it does explain well is that almost everything in football has a counter. Players have to make choices on plays to defend what they think is most likely to occur (eg corner shades to the outside because he's expecting something to the sidelines). You also can't have players that just do everything perfectly, nor can you play against people like that. I think many coaches and player acquisition executives think you just pile on the 'best' players onto one team, and it'll work because they will just do everything all at once. Belichick seems to be the best at knowing he only has to reliably win these matchups perhaps 1 or 2 ways. Ergo, he doesn't need super human athletes to have the top scoring offense year in and year out.

Also, interesting point about the divisional tendencies. I've heard this said many times for many other teams too. I don't know how much of it is speculation and how much it actually plays into their decisions.

Last edited:
Nice Topic and some good thoughts.

Part of the nature of football, Compared to baseball is that baseball is mostly a binary operation (between 2 players) at any given moment with less emphasis on team dynamics. Where as football always has 22 people in play (11 on each side) with time being a very real factor (i.e. the longer a play goes on the greater likelihood that there's a breakdown).

So, in a basic rudimentary way if a team has a 99% chance of doing things right and you involve 11 distinct parts that could equate to a 90% chance of success whereas a team with a 98% chance would have more than double the failure rate at 80% chance of success.

I think the time factor, in part, explains why passing is more successful than running. With running, time effectively starts right after the ball is in motion whereas passing there's usually a 1.5 second plus delay.

Obviously there's way too many factors to which is why a coach can explain a play in minutes rather than baseball where a real time call is about as deep as you need to get for everyone to understand whats going on (ok you can get a bit deeper, but the probability tree on baseball is fairly limited)

I think you're on the money with time. I've understood a somewhat abstract concept of speed (which is just time and distance) to be the defining factor in strategy before. Throwing the ball is definitely implementing speed on a defense. You can quickly move your precious object (the ball) from one location of the field to up to five other locations. This analogy works a tiny bit better in warfare than in sport, as the goal in warfare is to get your payload to its destination as fast as possible (and this has nearly defined the evolution of weaponry). In contrast, armour and defense in general has evolved to slow (and ideally stop) the opponent's payload from reaching its destination. Every single weapon has a payload, from the edge of a knife to a bullet to a warhead. There are always many, many payloads on the battlefield, and so you start to consider things like the range (angle and distance) with which you can apply force. In football, you just have one payload (the football).

I took that path of thinking, and I started finding principles based upon things like volume, surface area, etc, and I realized everything that is a game in a vector space and has other physical quantities such as mass can ultimately be summed up by physics. Obviously, you can literally calculate every play if you know every bit of information at every moment prior to which you're calculating. You don't, but you can estimate and form models for common scenarios, which will help you understand why certain things consistently work, and you can form heuristics from that.

This reminds me. One time, I wrote down what I thought was the sequence of events for every single football play (not including special teams).

Run play: separate middle or left or right -> handoff/receive handoff -> run (vs 11)
Pass play: separate middle or left or right -> selection -> pass/catch -> run (if downfield, vs 7 or 4 or 1, depending upon level and coverage)

Pass: benefits include selection and running vs better numbers, risks include failure during pass and catch (includes incomplete and interception) and weaker runner during separate middle (ie sack risk)

Selection involves movement and distance projection. Sometimes counting (for blocking and potential tackler advantages) too.

Separation is referring to blocking.

Last edited:
As I was recapping some thoughts on the latest NFL draft, I started delving in a bit further into the philosophies of the teams. I've been researching football organizations for the past several hours, which is to say every non-player personnel: coaches, executives, directors, analysts, scouts, and technically even owners. Obviously, the primary measure of success is winning, and at that, sustained winning. However, winning is a very coarse statistic for when analyzing the pros and cons of various strategies and tendencies throughout the league. We're looking for more granular things that can be noticed without necessarily needing every single win to line up.

One measure that stuck out to me was the ability to acquire and develop QB talent. Sure, some teams, even those with primarily defensive minds, can take the A+ QB talents in the first round. Not many can successfully develop QBs from the mid rounds, and far less are able to do it more than once, indicating that the ones who did it once simply drafted an A+ talent in that round. Ultimately, QB is the most important position in football, a position that teams live and die with, and the ability to be utterly dominant in the acquisition and development of this position is enough to put you in the upper tier. I found Belichick to be the best, thanks to both his greatest finds as well as his consistency. I found Sean Payton to be the only other current NFL coach worth mentioning, but his consistently atrocious defense has stained my opinion of him and that Saints organization somewhat. That leaves only one other coach that I would put 'significantly above the mean', and he's the wily coach up in Ann Arbor: Jim Harbaugh. He's also had great defenses everywhere he's gone, and should he enter the NFL again, himself combined with a great front office would be the only competitor in organizational excellence to Bill Belichick and the Patriots.

Now, I wasn't done there. I started following this rabbit hole in Cleveland, on the path of football analytics. On the surface, many baseball fans, economics majors, and other math-inclined people may appreciate this concept. Analytics certainly have a place, but this is a rebuttal for their use as the guiding principle in organizing a team.

For one, sustained success in football requires making the whole more than the sum of the parts. If you are just the sum of the parts, then you end up with parts that are too expensive or out of the lineup due to injuries, and you can't continually replace that talent pool when 31 other teams are looking for the exact same things. This is somewhat in contrast to baseball. There are far fewer synergies between baseball players, and those that do exist can almost perfectly be described by easily quantifiable statistics. Baseball teams do still face the conundrum of having 31 or so other competitors for the same types of people, but large rosters, minor league systems, and massive drafts allowed even extremely minor advantages to eventually bubble to the surface. In football, you're looking at far more discrete results without the ability to blindly choose players because they have one trait that might be undervalued by other teams (assuming your luck averages out on all other traits).

For two, there's also the incredible amount of work done behind the scenes in football, in week to week preparation, off-season activities, and other leadership opportunities. There's the necessary toughness to strive for a few inches at key moments that are nothing more blips on the radar screen in a football analytic's head.

Neither of these really exist in other sports the way that they do in football, nor does the importance of the QB position which I mentioned earlier. However, in searching for Belichick's comments on the subject, I discovered one further reason that perhaps existed somewhere in my psyche due to my previous studies in game theory, but Bill said it more eloquently:

Bill Belichick on analytics: ‘It’s not really my thing’

That's really driving home my point about what I called 'discrete results' (not the best term, but I'm keeping it for continuity in this piece). In baseball, basketball, soccer, and even non-sport things like finance, you take 55% chances all game long because there are a large amount of plays or transactions, and each essentially have equal importance in the success of your venture. Interestingly, baseball plays usually result in failure (to score) and basketball plays usually (relatively) result in success, which are two opposite ends of the spectrum, but the inherent equality of any single play to mean as much as the next is extant in both sports.

In football, you have a very asymmetric game board. If the previous examples were economics, football is war. In football, as in war, you don't need to win every battle, have the advantage in every aspect of a battle to win the battle, or even have the probabilistic likeliness to win the most battles. You need a decisive advantage or several, and then you continue on to decisive victory. Decisiveness essentially means an extremely high probability for excess, which I called discrete because anything other than a 1 (or close to it) is a 0 in your mind. These concepts can boil down to heuristic categories, such as rock beats scissors, paper beats rock, and scissors beats paper, but that is only a specific type of categories that exist in the set of all categorical strategies. You can also have a system where one category always wins. This is almost the case with the NFL passing game, for the half of the game where you're passing and they're defending, because passing is consistently the better way to score points and control a game. Not to get too off topic, but in war, having control of the skies (in terms of aircraft and rockets/missiles/bombs) is an utterly dominant way to control any region of land or water, provided you can maintain supplies to your air attack and are not politically-limited in the force with which you are allowed to apply. (At least, that worked until nuclear threats made even a single mistake in your air defense a discrete/utter loss for essentially all of your defenses, but that's waaay off topic...)

I'm sure there are many other directions we can take this topic, but the original purpose of my research has been quite resolved in my mind. I feel that the Patriots organization truly stands above the others.

Other things for further discussion(and I'm leaving out the adjective 'relatively' as these are certainly not *perfect* descriptions):

football: asymmetric, non-repeating
baseball/basketball/most other sports: symmetric, repeating
Football is not nearly as much of a repeating game relative to most other sports or finance, but chess lies still on the opposite end of the spectrum of all of them. A single play in a football game has the same type of strategy as an entire game of chess, as you have only one possible conclusion (well, technically two, if you include a draw), although of course football strategy in individual plays don't contain the complexity of chess strategy.
Scarcity - can a particular resource be gained? This is another side to analytics (to contrast with the earlier discussion on valuation) that is more valid in football. Obviously, the Patriots have been thoroughly aware of scarcity with the way they've handled money and draft picks. There is a lot of subtle discussion within this topic, I think.
For broader game theory: If you're interested in things that transcend the sport that brought us onto this forum, there's the interesting question of which variables are more or less important at different levels (levels generally meaning size and/or period of engagement). For instance, maybe teamwork is crucially essential in a 4 man squad or a 5 man offensive line, but how much is teamwork diluted with double the number of players on a kick return? Does the returner's special talent not shine more individually than a running back's would? And the same is true in organizations. You can certainly have more 'waste' in a group of 1000 people than in a group of 10, not to say waste is a good thing, just that priorties change. Certain concepts don't necessarily have parallels at different levels either. In warfare, suppressive fire is extremely effective, but it only really exists in engagements from around ten to one hundred. Beyond that, the game board changes. Something similar may exist, but you'd have to generalize this specific concept we're calling suppressive fire.

One last comment on analytics in football: I qualify my previous rebuttal for their usage in valuation by saying you can't find analogues for baseball statistics that will effectively work in football to build successful franchises. If you could take your traditional methods of scouting players and then work backwards to attempt to create new stats that mirror everything you could possibly see on tape, then you would have a somewhat full picture of what your evaluation looks like. However, that computer still wouldn't know all of the things a person could draw from a person's character, effort, etc that certainly do contribute to making a team more than a sum of its parts, which is to me the essential defining feature of football.

Interesting post!

Regarding analytics, the other difference between using them in football and a sport like baseball is the sample size. The bigger the sample size, the more bounces of the ball tend to average out. Baseball has something like 150 pitches per game over 162 games, over 24,000 plays per year (no playoffs). In contrast, football has something like 127 snaps per game over 16 games, only about 2000 snaps per year.

Thus, statistical studies like that described in "Moneyball" make much more sense for baseball (and have been used much longer) than football because there are so many more baseball plays per year to average out statistical variation.

....That said, despite BB's quote, if anyone thinks that the Patriots don't use analytics (their own), then please contact me about some farm land I have for sale in the Everglades. ;)

Last edited:
I wasn't sure where to fit this in so I'll just note it here, BB values football players over super athletes. 53 guys who understand scheme and recognize what the other team is doing will beat a team built on athleticism more times than not.

Lots of great stuff in your post, so my apologies for leaping to a disagreement! But I don't see this tendency at all. Look at this year's draft class: 100% spectacular measurables and "upside." They've spent plenty of past draft capital on relatively raw athletic freaks like Collins and Vollmer. And there's no way that they traded for Barkevious Mingo based on his canny scheme recognition. ;)

It varies by position, certainly. But overall, I don't think they value raw athleticism any less than other teams. Maybe it's more that they require highly coachable players who are willing to place the demands of the scheme above their own athletic abilities. When Collins started trying to show off his talent rather than playing within his role, he was gone.

Lots of great stuff in your post, so my apologies for leaping to a disagreement! But I don't see this tendency at all. Look at this year's draft class: 100% spectacular measurables and "upside." They've spent plenty of past draft capital on relatively raw athletic freaks like Collins and Vollmer. And there's no way that they traded for Barkevious Mingo based on his canny scheme recognition. ;)

It varies by position, certainly. But overall, I don't think they value raw athleticism any less than other teams. Maybe it's more that they require highly coachable players who are willing to place the demands of the scheme above their own athletic abilities. When Collins started trying to show off his talent rather than playing within his role, he was gone.

I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground we all agree on. He's not saying the Patriots see super athleticism as a negative; he's saying they weigh more things in consideration than perhaps most teams do. When you look at the group of LBs/DEs and WRs, I don't think it's hard to see that skill and intelligence are far more prominent in the Patriots evaluations.

The unique thing about football, in comparison to chess, is that you actually set the alignment of your pieces. And then through player transactions, you actually choose which pieces you have. Chess is strictly the movement of the formation. Not to be overly literal... I get the analogy.

Interesting point about the rock/paper/scissors of individual matchups. Obviously, certain things make the arity larger (perhaps a QB looking off a safety, with a TE going into his zone, with the MLB trying to keep up), but it's one way to look at it. What it does explain well is that almost everything in football has a counter. Players have to make choices on plays to defend what they think is most likely to occur (eg corner shades to the outside because he's expecting something to the sidelines). You also can't have players that just do everything perfectly, nor can you play against people like that. I think many coaches and player acquisition executives think you just pile on the 'best' players onto one team, and it'll work because they will just do everything all at once. Belichick seems to be the best at knowing he only has to reliably win these matchups perhaps 1 or 2 ways. Ergo, he doesn't need super human athletes to have the top scoring offense year in and year out.

Also, interesting point about the divisional tendencies. I've heard this said many times for many other teams too. I don't know how much of it is speculation and how much it actually plays into their decisions.

Good examples of what exactly I was getting at with the one-on-one rochambeau matches. An OT v. and edge-rusher in perhaps my favorite.

I agree that when Belichick talks about a player being "reliable", it's about these matchups. He also often notes that a player "does all the little things right", which I think is a related reference.

Stats certainly aren't the be-all/end-all of determining a team's strengths. However, just in their own division, during the 2017 season, the Pats will be playing six games against teams that were at least top 12 in both rushing yards and rushing TDs last season. The Bills were #1 in both.

This is not an anomaly. The Fins, Bills and Jets have typically all had strong ground games in most years.

In total, 13 of the 16 regular season games that the Pats play this season will be against teams that finished in the top half of the league in rushing yards and/or rushing TDs.

Of course, the fact that they all the other AFCE teams have mediocre QBs (perennially) is a pretty easy explanation for their aggressive ground games. But, it's even more reason for the Pats to have a solid run defense. Blunting the impact of those rushing attacks forces those mediocre QBs to throw.

No apologies necessary. It's an interesting position.

I do think they value football IQ above athleticism. I'm not sure if Collins was free lancing or if he often missed his assignments. I don't think they'll keep a speedy WR if he continuously runs the incorrect route. I don't think they'll keep a DL because he benches 600 lbs unless of course he can play football and understands when to use which technique. I do think they traded for Mingo because they saw something schematically that they liked. Otherwise there are plenty of guys that match Mingo's speed, strength etc....

Re Collins. His missed assignments or freelancing was going on for more than a couple of years imo. Missed coverage during the 2014 SB allowing Lynch a late game reception, blown coverage during the 2015 AFCCG possibly allowing one or two TD's and it continued on into the 2016 season. I think they just gave up hope that he would catch on.

Of course there is a balance between the two. My 90 pound son may understand football but I'm pretty sure he's not making the team this year.

Each combine is full of fast strong guys who have played in football games for numerous years. I think they search out the ones who understand or have demonstrated some understanding beyond throwing and catching a leather ball or haven't succeeded simply because they are athletic.

Disclaimer: These are only my thoughts and I acknowledge that I could be way off base but enjoy discussing these things nevertheless.

Good stuff Pat.

This is a great thread, btw. I have to think that BB's seemingly distain for "analytics" is vastly over rated. I think it's strictly for public consumption to fit his "image". I believe he's beem a big believer in what is now called "analytics" from his days at Andover with Earnie Adams. What do you think the "mysterious" Adams has been doing for Bill the last 40 years. It sure hasn't been drawing out scout team plays. ;). Bellichick might very well be the "father" of analytics.

Good articles. You addressed some specific areas by which the team has tried to find small advantages. Not everything necessarily has an over-arching philosophy for being superior than the other options. Some of it is just effort, as the choice is obvious if you're willing.

I love this quote from the hill article:

Many of you east coasters might not know this, but hill training was actually extremely prominent in many of the most famous NFL players of all time. Jerry Rice had a hill outside his house that he trained on for most of his career, I believe. When Rice was retired and the 49ers drafted Crabtree, Rice tried to take him under his wing. Crabtree couldn't even finish that damn hill, and meanwhile 50 year old Rice was bounding up it wondering "what's up?" Walter Payton was a hill runner in the off season (which was, I think, back before the NFL had major off season programs).

The hamstring one surprised me the most. With all the negative effects of injuries, I'm surprised teams haven't taken the utmost precaution to ensure they don't happen.

I wish the special teams article had more meat to it. I would like to know more of the strategy behind special teams. Another coach that I was really impressed with, special teams-wise, was Jim Harbaugh (whose name I not-so-coincidentally mentioned very favorably in my earlier post), When he came to San Francisco, the entire team culture changed, and part of that was bringing in loads of badasses for the coverage units. I know a lot about San Fran because I live in California.

I do remember Jerry Rice's training regiment. The difference being is he did it on his own whereas the Patriots have implemented it as a conditioning tool. They are using it to gain an team wide advantage.

I think I will spend a little time focussing on special teams and possibly post what I find for discussion purposes. Most sites focus on Offense and defense and have very little regarding ST.

I think running the hill or conditioning, ST investment, Hamstring research etc... is more than just effort to improve. I think it's a part of BB's global approach to winning a championship.

When evaluating a player I believe nothing is more important than game film but I'm sure combine stats etc have some value in the decision making process.

When evaluating special teams play I think analytics would play a slightly different role such as what the desired result of a special teams play should be. For example, determining whether to kick it out of the endzone or to attempt to pin the opposing team behind the 20 yard line during kickoffs. So one philosophy would require simply having a thunder legged kicker while the other would require a talented kicker who is capable of accurately kicking a ball to a targeted field position. Further he may use analytics to judge whether the investment cap space wise is worth the overall advantage to begin with.

Advanced Football Analytics (formerly Advanced NFL Stats): Drive Results

upload_2017-5-1_6-12-6.png

Yes, wasn't it a curious coincidence that Bulkhead and Gillislee were ranked the number one and two most efficient rushers by several advanced analytics sites? ;)

I'm not sure I agree with this. Burkhead had very few carries so I'm not sure what value any advanced statistical analysis may have. Gillislee has more snaps but still relatively few as well. I would bet game film was the significant tool to decide whether or not to sign these guys. On top of that Burkhead has Special teams value which is another positive check box BB likes to see marked off.

Do they look at fumble rates, 3 cone drill times etc..? Sure they do but it's the game film that is the significant decision tool. imo.

I am less theoretical and more practical, consider the 99 O plays that the Pats played in B LI... no signs of fatigue, during that venture. The Pats wore down the Hawks..

We now know that they changed wind sprints from a level surface to an incline from the lower Revs. practice field to the upper Patriots practice field.. it is always the little things that create a competitive edge.

With the Patriots it is always about situational football and the little things, i.e. preparing for every contingency, best preparation and being the smartest guys on the field.

Then add a layer of organizational excellence, clearly illustrated by a consistent philosophy for this team since 2000... changes have taken place, you all remember when BB thought he could plug in any guy as a DB (Earthwind Moreland and Two Way Troy) and then "coach him up", which had some mixed results.. that is no longer the case and that position is now valued differently..

One of the most amazing aspects of this overall organization is that the Pats currently have about 20 million in cap space, and next year about 70 million.. which gives them a lot of flexibility in maintaining excellence.. compare to the Bills who could not even match Gillislee..

How many HC's have you seen hunkering down with the D after a series of plays breaking down what just happened?? How many teams can manage the clock as well as the Patriots?? Never mind, we all know that this game is much, much more than the 11 guys on the field at a time for a 60 minute period of time...

...you all remember when BB thought he could plug in any guy as a DB (Earthwind Moreland and Two Way Troy) and then "coach him up", which had some mixed results.. that is no longer the case and that position is now valued differently...

Wait a minute. I remember Ty Law and Tyrone Poole getting placed on IR in 2004. I also remember Asante Samuel getting hurt late in the '04 regular season as a starter; which lead the way to inserting Troy Brown at CB. But I don't remember Belichick undervaluing the position of CB.

This is a very high level thread... good stuff... I'm just having a hard time...

88576b547c8f5c4a77d40df47dc0ff0e.gif

...keeping up. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back