Oh, cruel fate! a/k/a the Patriots serenade

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
When the Pats leave the locker room to take the field before Ozzy's "Crazy Train" blares forth, the team plays "O Fortuna" from the Carl Orff classic Carmina Burana. Sounds inspirational every time, right? Well, it helps that it's sung in Latin. It literally means "Oh Fate" and is a lament about the inescapable power of fate, a central theme to Roman and Greek mythology, in which fate is a force that rules both gods and mortals.

Translation to English (the last line is a doozy, try not to slit your wrists):

O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing,
ever waning,
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice
fate – monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is vain
and always fades to nothing,
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy
fate is against me
in health
and virtue,
driven on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.
so at this hour
without delay
pluck the vibrating strings;
since Fate
strikes down the strong man,
everyone weep with me!

Side note - they should get rid of Crazy Train. I’m sure that gets the white folk in the stands pumped up, but I’m not sure about the players.

Side note - they should get rid of Crazy Train. I’m sure that gets the white folk in the stands pumped up, but I’m not sure about the players.
I liked it during the first three titles. They've long been ready for a new pregame routine.

Once you hear it ...

Although I have to say - "Oh, Fortuna!" followed by fireworks and Ozzy screaming "All Aboard!" still gives me chills.

I adore mondegreens!

I agree that its a little tired at this point. For fans and players regardless of skin color.

As an aside, the version the Pats uses cuts everything from "ever waxing" to "villainy."

As an aside, the version the Pats uses cuts everything from "ever waxing" to "villainy."
I don't even miss those parts of Crazy Train

Reminds me of:

Everybody knows the “Bridal Chorus” (“Here Comes The Bride”) from the opera Lohengrin by composer Richard Wagner. It has been played at many weddings over the years and has an interesting story. When you hear the introduction, you know that the bride is on her way down the aisle. Everyone is ready to greet the bride, usually dressed in white, and a wonderful, loving wedding is about to take place.
The Original Context Of The Opera: Mass murder! Say what???
The tune comes from the opera Lohengrin, where the "Bridal Chorus" is actually sung to the heroine Elsa and her new husband, Lohengrin, by her handmaidens after the wedding, not before! After that song, Lohengrin murders 5 wedding guests and then leaves Elsa.
Lohengrin is not a happy opera, as you probably could have guessed from all that murdering Lohengrin did. The marriage lasts all of two songs, after which Lohengrin abandons Elsa, and opera being opera, Elsa dies of grief. So the organ music you hear at a wedding is less celebratory and more like an ominous, foreshadowy, something bad is going to happen sort of thing. They might as well play the theme from Jaws.

The music director for the church where my wedding was held told us right up front not to ask for it, she wouldn't play it.

Since the marriage ended up in divorce, it turns out it would have been appropriate.

That TD song they used to play for a long time during the Brady years was very obnoxious. I don't know if they still play it.

When the Pats leave the locker room to take the field before Ozzy's "Crazy Train" blares forth, the team plays "O Fortuna" from the Carl Orff classic Carmina Burana. Sounds inspirational every time, right? Well, it helps that it's sung in Latin. It literally means "Oh Fate" and is a lament about the inescapable power of fate, a central theme to Roman and Greek mythology, in which fate is a force that rules both gods and mortals.

O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing,
ever waning,
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice
fate – monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is vain
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy
fate is against me
in health
and virtue,
driven on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.
so at this hour
without delay
since Fate
everyone weep with me!
I think this might've caused the Thornton injury (and the 6 SB wins). Everyone weep with me!

O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing,
ever waning,
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice
fate – monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is vain
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy
fate is against me
in health
and virtue,
driven on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.
so at this hour
without delay
since Fate
everyone weep with me!

The pats versions has a big cut

O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing,
ever waning,
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice
fate – monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is vain
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy

fate is against me
in health
and virtue,
driven on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.
so at this hour
without delay
since Fate
everyone weep with me!

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back