PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

Without very clever schemes, Gronk was almost always double covered. It took considerable scheming to get him into 1 0n 1 situations.
I remember that Seahawks Super Bowl screaming at the TV when KJ Wright, a linebacker, matched up one on one vs Gronk lol. Needless to say the rest of the world saw it too and it was an easy pitch and catch TD.

tenor.gif

I remember that Seahawks Super Bowl screaming at the TV when KJ Wright, a linebacker, matched up one on one vs Gronk lol. Needless to say the rest of the world saw it too and it was an easy pitch and catch TD.

tenor.gif
My boss at work the next day said he called the TD as soon as he saw who was lined up against Gronk... said there was no doubt in his mind.

Last edited:
But if somebody can beat 1-on-1 coverage, then how much of that is really scheme?
The scheme was to prevent Gronk from being doubled and getting a favorable one-on-one matchup. The Pats offense really schemes everything. They are mostly trying to get a favorable matchup based on what the defense is showing and then reacting off of that which is a scheme style offense. Running pick plays for underneath receivers is a kind of pick play. I think it's hard to actually scheme someone being wide open. That's more of a blow coverage situation. Outside of letting Randy Moss in 2007 run just down field and beat double and even triple coverage, I have a hard time remembering the Pats ever just lining up and letting their guys beat the other guys.

tenor.gif

Why do you think the Seahawks were in zone on that play ?

Hint: McDaniels actually talks about this in DYJ1 and how they were trying to get that matchup for Gronk.

Setting mismatches like that up via playcalling throughout a series and/or creative personnel usage is exactly why McDaniels is so highly regarded as a OC inside the league.

???

Without very clever schemes, Gronk was almost always double covered. It took considerable scheming to get him into 1 0n 1 situations.

i completely disagree with that. Gronk was such a physical talent, that we were throwing to him even if he was double covered. It’s not a situation where a player can’t get open and we scheme everything to get him open. Gronk could get open in every situation, we were not trying to get him one on one every play because he could not get open. Sure if we can have a favorable match up we would do it.

i completely disagree with that. Gronk was such a physical talent, that we were throwing to him even if he was double covered. It’s not a situation where a player can’t get open and we scheme everything to get him open. Gronk could get open in every situation, we were not trying to get him one on one every play because he could not get open. Sure if we can have a favorable match up we would do it.

Yeah which is why McDaniels literally said about Gronk's TD against the Seahawks that "the ball would have gone to someone else if it wasn't zone man". (EDIT: wrote zone instead of man).

What have you been watching the past few years ?

The Pats offense had been working like a fine tuned machine because it is mostly scheme and depends on the QB making the right read to know what and who to attack. Obviously the second part is the talent on offense making the same read and being the expected spot.

Outside desperation moments Gronk (or anyone except maybe Moss) rarely got the ball in actual double coverage. And just because two defenders show up close to him doesn't mean something is double coverage.

The McDaniels offense is all about mismatches and going for high percentage throws.

Last edited:
Brady threw TD passes where Gronk was double covered and he was the first read anyway. I guess other teams were so dumb they single covered Gronk everytime that’s why he has so many catches and TDS.

Edelman was constantly double covered last year, I guess they never threw him the ball right.

Brady threw TD passes where Gronk was double covered and he was the first read anyway. I guess other teams were so dumb they single covered Gronk everytime that’s why he has so many catches and TDS.

Edelman was constantly double covered last year, I guess they never threw him the ball right.

The play that will put Gronk in the HoF and is responsible for an absurd amount of his production is play action with a pulling lineman to suck up LBs.

The fact he consistently was so open on that play is not because Brady threw him open (its a straight forward completion) and also not because Gronk is such an amazing specimen but because a window is schemed open.

Since you apparently missed the QB episode of the NFL 100 All time team here is Brady talking about it:

Point being this is how our offense has been attacking. And not YOLOing the ball to double covered players.

You are right, my bad. :headscratch:

Yeah which is why McDaniels literally said about Gronk's TD against the Seahawks that "the ball would have gone to someone else if it wasn't zone".
I think you mean man coverage. That's why KJ Wright stepped out there to cover Gronk. If it were zone it would have been Sherman on that side covering. Hence, McDaniels said the ball would probably have gone somewhere else.

Anthony Harris, at whom nobody would've batted an eye had he been taken any time after the 4th round, goes undrafted...Meanwhile, with the 64th pick of that same draft, the New England Patriots select...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News