PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what we said last year.
True but I think they weren’t fully prepared for Gronk’s departure or for any of the cast of thousands they brought in to not make it. I can’t imagine LaCosse and Izzo were their ideal TEs.

True but I think they weren’t fully prepared for Gronk’s departure or for any of the cast of thousands they brought in to not make it. I can’t imagine LaCosse and Izzo were their ideal TEs.

Gronk's timing ruined free agency but there's not much of an excuse for not taking a TE last draft except for if the front office didn't like the prospects relative to who they did draft.

I think they legitimately believed LaCosse would be useful, based on the above market value contract they gave him (which admittedly was still pretty negligible compared to what real players sign for).

The only thing we really know is Gronk's timing was the difference between having Jared Cook and not having Jared Cook last year.

Payton appears to have accidentally announced that Brees is done after this year. If that’s accurate, he will leave $22.65 million of dead money on the Saints’ 2021 cap.

Payton appears to have accidentally announced that Brees is done after this year. If that’s accurate, he will leave $22.65 million of dead money on the Saints’ 2021 cap.

Eh. I could definitely see myself accidentally saying something inaccurate like that in an unscripted conversation. It's human to misspeak or even misremember the length of a contract when you have a lot of things to keep track of and a media interview is one of your lowest priorities to "get right".

I completely forgot that Clay Matthews remains a FA.

If we run a similar package to what we ran last year, he’d be a good fit. No one will be able to tell him and Winovich apart.

If we run a similar package to what we ran last year, he’d be a good fit. No one will be able to tell him and Winovich apart.

A player who has been overrated his entire career and has been undeniably on the decline for a while now...no thanks.

I see in the sidebar that Correa the Linebacker has gone to the Titans

A player who has been overrated his entire career and has been undeniably on the decline for a while now...no thanks.
We don’t have much better.

Overrated? Sure. But not useless.

We don’t have much better.

Overrated? Sure. But not useless.

I think that was the case at his peak, but he may indeed be useless now. He was never an edge setter, and his pass rushing skills have also eroded now. We saw how that skillset worked out with Cassius Marsh.

Funny how we almost botched that Matthews draft day trade. Moved down and allowed GB to take Matthews and selected Darius Butler and Brandon Tate with 2 of the 3 picks GB sent back. I said almost because with the 3rd pick acquired we traded it to JaX for a 7th and their following years 2nd rounder. The players we were able to grab with those 2 picks....Edelman and Gronk.

Funny how we almost botched that Matthews draft day trade. Moved down and allowed GB to take Matthews and selected Darius Butler and Brandon Tate with 2 of the 3 picks GB sent back. I said almost because with the 3rd pick acquired we traded it to JaX for a 7th and their following years 2nd rounder. The players we were able to grab with those 2 picks....Edelman and Gronk.

Why do you assume we would have taken Matthews with the pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft