PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Howard and a 5th to us for Gronk
Dont' see why the Bucs would part with Howard when, a) they might as well keep him for Brady's first year for maximum starpower on offense, b) Gronk playing at a Pro Bowl level is not a guarantee.

If Gronk is going to come back, but only to play with Brady/Bucs, I'd say a 3rd round pick is fair.

Dont' see why the Bucs would part with Howard when, a) they might as well keep him for Brady's first year for maximum power on offense, b) Gronk playing at a Pro Bowl level is not a guarantee.

If Gronk is going to come back, but only to play with Brady/Bucs, I'd say a 3rd round pick is fair.
That city would be electric with Brady and Gronk on the field.
They can pay a premium for that and I think they would.

That city would be electric with Brady and Gronk on the field.
They can pay a premium for that and I think they would.

If you are the Bucs you would be STOOPID not to trade for Edelman and Gronk if possible. With the existing additional talent in Tampa plus Brady, Edelman and Gronk, a Super Bowl is within reach. Maybe 2.

I think the Patriots as always are open for business.
I saw a article that said the Patriots would be willing to move Gilmore for a 3 and 6 I hope it was a joke.
For me It’s a starting WR or a Second.

I saw a article that said the Patriots would be willing to move Gilmore for a 3 and 6 I hope it was a joke.
That’s something that would look like a good deal for someone like Bill O’Brien.

Last edited:
Dont' see why the Bucs would part with Howard when, a) they might as well keep him for Brady's first year for maximum starpower on offense, b) Gronk playing at a Pro Bowl level is not a guarantee.

An oft-injured TE who's shown signs of decline, and who missed all of last season = 3rd round pick?

OJ Howard doesn't really have a lot of trade value at this stage. He has never lived up to his 1st round potential (hasn't been used very well by Tampa). He is also entering the last year of his contract (I don't see any way they pick up his 5th year option) so I don't think Tampa would be too worried about moving on from him at this point. I see him similar to Njoku, two guys that have underachieved and could use a change of scenery.

OJ Howard doesn't really have a lot of trade value at this stage. He has never lived up to his 1st round potential (hasn't been used very well by Tampa). He is also entering the last year of his contract (I don't see any way they pick up his 5th year option) so I don't think Tampa would be too worried about moving on from him at this point. I see him similar to Njoku, two guys that have underachieved and could use a change of scenery.

I'd be much more confident about a Howard acquisition compared to Njoku. With Howard, it's pretty easy to explain his struggles. If you consider his career year by year:

Rookie in 2017, you can excuse his low stats because of that.

Only played 10 games in 2018 and if you prorate his stats from that year he's a top 10 receiving TE.

2019 was Bruce Arians who for some ridiculous reason hates the TE position.

The knock I constantly hear about Njoku is drops, which means he might just be a bad player.

I'd be much more confident about a Howard acquisition compared to Njoku. With Howard, it's pretty easy to explain his struggles. If you consider his career year by year:

Rookie in 2017, you can excuse his low stats because of that.

Only played 10 games in 2018 and if you prorate his stats from that year he's a top 10 receiving TE.

2019 was Bruce Arians who for some ridiculous reason hates the TE position.

The knock I constantly hear about Njoku is drops, which means he might just be a bad player.

I would much prefer Howard as well because the other thing he has over Njoku is he can block. I just don't think either have a lot of trade value right now because of their lack of production and contract situations. I still think Howard has a lot of upside and would love to get him, I just don't think he should command a lot in a trade.

An oft-injured TE who's shown signs of decline, and who missed all of last season = 3rd round pick?
He's probably not worth that, but I think that's what it would take for the Pats to bother parting with him/is the maximum Tampa would fork over.

I think Tampa would do it, yes.

He's probably not worth that, but I think that's what it would take for the Pats to bother parting with him/is the maximum Tampa would fork over.

He's not going to play for BB again. So it's the position of both of you that the Patriots would rather waste an asset than take less than a 3rd round pick for that asset?

He's not going to play for BB again. So it's the position of both of you that the Patriots would rather waste an asset than take less than a 3rd round pick for that asset?
It's something I gave only couple minutes of thought towards. Just going off the top of my head, pretty much. I think a 3rd round pick is the high-end of what a team would be willing to give up, so if Belichick & Co think that's possible too, then maybe they'll aim for that. If it doesn't materialize, sure, a 4th or 5th could be done. Otherwise, I agree that it wouldn't make sense to forgo assets.

It's something I gave only couple minutes of thought towards. Just going off the top of my head, pretty much. I think a 3rd round pick is the high-end of what a team would be willing to give up, so if Belichick & Co think that's possible too, then maybe they'll aim for that. If it doesn't materialize, sure, a 4th or 5th could be done. Otherwise, I agree that it wouldn't make sense to forgo assets.

Tampa would be crazy to offer anything more than a conditional 6th for Gronk. They've already got a pair of NFL level TEs.

I'd love for the Pats to trade Thuney #23 and a 3rd to Detroit then trade #3 and a future pick or two to Washington for the best player in the draft. Chase Young is a friggin animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News