PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Considering Change to Kickoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
A kickoff from your own 35 yard line is a far cry from a punt from the opponent's 45. Kickers will not be able to kick it extremely high AND all the way to the goal line. If they could do that, they'd already be doing it (only it would be an extremely high kick that carried to the 5 instead of the goal line).

If these rule changes are implemented, get ready to see plenty of touchbacks. There isn't a coach in the league who wouldn't be happy with the other team starting on the 25.
The thing is with that tactic you wouldn't be looking to kick it to the goal line; you want to avoid a touchback. The idea would be to kick it high enough to result in the opposing team starting from inside their 25; just like it is now with a punt, with trying to get the starting position inside the twenty. Bottom line is to try and find a way to kick the ball that will result in worse starting field position than a touchback. You're kicking the ball five yards upfield, you're coverage team is five yards closer, and at the same time you have five more yards to improve on starting field position for your defense.

Not every NFL kicker is going to be able to do it, but some of the better ones - the kickers that are already getting the ball into the end zone - might be able to use this approach. Some kickers don't get enough air on the ball for their coverage as it is now; this wouldn't apply to them. But for a select few I could see this becoming an option, especially in warmer weather when the ball travels better. It might take some time and not happen right away, but with enough practice at some point I could see a handful of kickers perfecting this type of skill.

Many coaches may indeed accept and be happy with the new standard of starting at the 25-yard line. Some, however - the better coaches, the more innovative ones - will seek a way to improve on that.

I think its a dumb rule change, but maybe there is a compromise. Let the kicker kick from the 35, but make the KO coverage team start at the 30 like they do now. It will at least give the KO return team a shot at a return if the KO is short

I think its a dumb rule change, but maybe there is a compromise. Let the kicker kick from the 35, but make the KO coverage team start at the 30 like they do now. It will at least give the KO return team a shot at a return if the KO is short

That would pretty much end the onside kick.

Many coaches may indeed accept and be happy with the new standard of starting at the 25-yard line. Some, however - the better coaches, the more innovative ones - will seek a way to improve on that.
Well, as is so often the case, the best and most innovative coaches are the ones who happen to have the most talent on their team. We'll see 32 coaches tell their kickers to kick it sky high and in such a way that it comes down at the 15. The best, most innovative coach will be the one who happens to have the only kicker in the league with enough leg strength to pull that off.

One thing that the Competition Committee is also going to recommend is that ALL Scoring plays be automatically reviewed by the Booth.

I think that this will pave the way for goal line cameras from the sides and from overhead.
This change will slow down the game a bit but is probably not a bad idea. Although I have to say I don't think the current challenge system is broken, so I am not sure it needs to be fixed.

HD cameras with digital recorders are so inexpensive that it's a travesty that this does not already occur. One step further: camera mobile units slaved to the line of scrimmage yardstick and 1st down marker could also call infractions and in some instances help determine 1st down status.

I am sure the technology is there for, some type of tracer on the football and on the goal line to actually gauge when the ball crosses the line. It's guess work on some goal line situations. Actually, its done with golf balls on some ranges.

This change will slow down the game a bit but is probably not a bad idea. Although I have to say I don't think the current challenge system is broken, so I am not sure it needs to be fixed.

More reviews means more commercials which means more revenue. It's all about money. Pretty soon we'll see some guy selling a truck say, "We will be right back after this break from the NFL."

More reviews means more commercials which means more revenue. It's all about money. Pretty soon we'll see some guy selling a truck say, "We will be right back after this break from the NFL."
The amount of commercials is a pre-determined constant. It isn't like they say "here's hoping for a review so we can squeeze in one more commercial break."

If the league increased commercial breaks, it would be a somewhat major announcement, like it was the last time they increased commercial breaks, when they went to the current 3 hours, 15 minutes game length format. For now, they don't seem intent on going in that direction but ya never know.

The amount of commercials is a pre-determined constant. It isn't like they say "here's hoping for a review so we can squeeze in one more commercial break."

If the league increased commercial breaks, it would be a somewhat major announcement, like it was the last time they increased commercial breaks, when they went to the current 3 hours, 15 minutes game length format. For now, they don't seem intent on going in that direction but ya never know.

So the amount of commercials is the same for every game? I didn't know that.

So the amount of commercials is the same for every game? I didn't know that.
The amount of time allocated to commercials is the same, yes.

Say you're watching 2 CBS games simultaneously. The first commercial break for each game will have the exact same set of commercials whether you're watching in Boston, NY, LA or Chicago. Ditto the 2nd, 3rd, and so forth. The only differences will come during the station breaks (between quarters) where the local network gets to air advertising. People in Boston will see a commercial for, say, Jordan's Furniture while the people in NY are seeing commercials for Crazy Eddie's.

I think I once read somewhere that the NFL allocated ESPN a couple extra minutes of commercials in the form of being allowed to have a whole crapload after the telecast begins but before kickoff, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Hand the ball to the other team at the twenty five. Great idea.:rolleyes:

Flip a coin for field goals and you can save a roster spot.

Last edited:
SMY gives us BB's opinion...

"Belichick said. “I don’t like the idea of eliminating the kickoff from the game. I think it’s one of the most exciting plays in football, so it looks like the competition committee is trying to eliminate that play and I don’t know if that’s really good for the game.’’

The committee doesn’t want to eliminate the kick itself, but Belichick believes there no longer would be kick returns if the spot is moved up because kicks simply would be touchbacks."

Polian at work again. Why Kraft can't get son Jonathan a seat on that committee, I don't know.

Kickoffs moved up to the 35.
Touchbacks still come out to the 20.
Two-man wedges are still allowed.
Coaches once again get third challenge if they're successful on first two challenges.
Replay rule passed: all scoring plays are now reviewable in the booth rather than have to be challenged by a coach.

And most importantly, teams cannot change their turf color without prior consent. No blue fields a la Boise State.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said he voted for kickoff changes: "It's fine. ... We have a good kicker." | Ian Rapoport | Boston Herald
“Yeah, it’s going back to where it was,” Belichick said. “Yeah, we voted for it. It’s fine. It’s not that big of a deal. We have a good kicker, it’s all right.”

Q.: Why the change from yesterday?

BB: “Well, they were getting rid of the wedge and a lot of other stuff,” he said. “This is a lot simpler. It’s clean.”

Q: Won’t it eliminate so many kickoff returns?

BB: “It’ll cut down some, sure,” he said. “Statistically it will. Based on the numbers, I think you’re still looking at least two thirds of the kicks being returned, maybe three quarters. At the end of year, it goes down anyway. There’s a lot more touchbacks at the beginning of the season than there are at the end. The ball just doesn’t carry as far in the cold. It just doesn’t go as far.”

Last edited:
rapoport's twitter says Polian was a huge influence behind the switch.

I wonder if in warmer places or indoors some kickers might opt to put less air on their kickoffs, to try and kick it deep in the end zone or through the end zone in order to force no return and a touchback. The downside obviously is that if they fail to do so the coverage team doesn't get in position as quickly, setting up a possible big return. The kicker would need to have a strong leg - like Gostkowski, Billy Cundiff or Michael Koenen - but there might be a risk/reward factor to consider in an attempt to get more touchbacks.

Why was this change necessary? Are they pushing it to limit injuries or something? Kicks off are great!

Why was this change necessary? Are they pushing it to limit injuries or something? Kicks off are great!

The Colts' special teams suck, and Polian was trying to pull a 2004.

The guise is limiting injuries but the real reason is that Competition Committee ruler Polian has a weak ST squad and wants yet again to tilt the playing field towards his Colts.

The Colts' special teams suck, and Polian was trying to pull a 2004.

This is immediately what I thought when I heard of the proposed changes. Trying to mitigate poor coverage units (surprising, given the defense they play) and Vinatieri's non-existent leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back